Ringtone Location(s)?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I migrated data from my Note 4 to my Note 5. On my Note 4, I had created a few ringtones that I liked. On my Note 5, I see those here:
/storage/emulated/0/Ringtones

But, I can see 28 other "system" ringtones when I browse with ES File Explorer here:
/system/media/audio/ringtones

But, when I try to set the notification tone for any of my apps, they can only navigate to "my" ringtones - they can't see the "system" ones.

I know I can copy the "system" ringtones into the /system/media/audio/ringtones folder, but that seems counter-intuitive. How can I set the notification tones for my apps to use the "system" tones??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ringtones and Notifications are in different directories. If you're setting a notification tone, it'll look in the Notification directory. Is there a /system/media/audio/notifications directory that you can access?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Ringtones and Notifications are in different directories. If you're setting a notification tone, it'll look in the Notification directory. Is there a /system/media/audio/notifications directory that you can access?

There is a /system/media/audio/notifications folder that I can see with ES File Explorer, but when setting a notification for an app, it only looks in /storage/emulated/0/Ringtones, and I can't navigate to /system/media/audio/notifications.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a head-scratcher. Does that happen for any app that allows you to select a notification tone? Or is it the general notification setting in the phone's System Settings that you're referring to?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It happens with any app that I can set the notification sound with. When I went to set the notification sound for my email program, it was initially set to something like "phone default" - which was a sound in the notification folder. But when I went to change it, the only choices I got were in the folder I created..

If I go into SETUP / Sound and Notification / Ringtones and Sounds - if I select either "Default notification sound" or "Ringtone", the only choice I get is the folder I created.

It's like the "default" sound folders have been changed to the one I created - but I don't know how to change it back.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
If I browse to the system/media/audio/notifications folder in ES File Explorer, I don't see a set a sound as a notification for anything (app or system default).

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I just tested it. Go to Settings \ Sounds and Notifications \ Ringtones and Sounds \ Ringtone \ scroll down to 'Add ringtone'.
click Tracks (top left side) \ Folders. Can you get to said tone now?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
When I go to Settings \ Sounds and Notifications \ Ringtones and Sounds \ Ringtone, I don't get any option to "Add ringtone". Here's what I see:
Ringtones.jpg

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It adds a folder.

Yours is completely different than mine - I get a screen that allows me to "Choose path" (although I can select one of the ringtones), while yours is just for selecting a ring tone.

franko515

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
The default app to use is media storage, some how that got changed. Under default apps in settings try going to es file Explorer and reset default. If that doesn't work you may have to clear all your default apps to fix the problem as I'm not sure which one has taken over.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The default app to use is media storage, some how that got changed. Under default apps in settings try going to es file Explorer and reset default. If that doesn't work you may have to clear all your default apps to fix the problem as I'm not sure which one has taken over.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Thank you very much!! That was it.

Nick_Russell

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello, My wife has exactly this problem. We both have Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6. Mine is fine, hers has the problem described. How do I reset the default app Media storage. I cannot see a way to do this in Settings or from ES File explorer.

Miming Permadi

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
Hello, My wife has exactly this problem. We both have Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6. Mine is fine, hers has the problem described. How do I reset the default app Media storage. I cannot see a way to do this in Settings or from ES File explorer.

Go to Setting/application then select default applications. Select set as default then select es file explorer..go and clear default for this app --- this is to check which apps are being used as default to open for certain tasks. In ur case my suspicious is es file explorer did replace ur default app for opening sound file during sound & vinration setting. Hope this works for u as mine is working well.

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Go to Setting/application then select default applications. Select set as default then select es file explorer..go and clear default for this app --- this is to check which apps are being used as default to open for certain tasks. In ur case my suspicious is es file explorer did replace ur default app for opening sound file during sound & vinration setting. Hope this works for u as mine is working well.

Updated for Galaxy 5 / android

Settings > Application Manager > [name of app that is showing when you try to add files] > Set as Default > Clear Defaults

For example, I went to add my own ringtone. Android prompted me to choose from File Manager, Google Drive, DropBox as a place to look for files. I went to Drive since that's where my new file was. From then on, it ALWAYS opens to Drive, and doesn't show any way to revert to File Manager or DropBox. To clear the default setting, do the steps above.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000