Note 5 or Note 4... Have to buy outright to keep VZ UDP... your suggestion?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to need a new phone in the near term. Currently on third S4 under VZ extended warranty running Lollipop. Fortunately it's running good!

If I buy a new Note 5, it's going to cost me $900 inc tax plus accesories for current model.

I can get a factory refurbished Note 4 that will be covered under VZ extended warranty for $440.

I'm already almost three generations behind with the S4... usually like to stay within one generation. Now that phones are lasting longer, here's the question...

Would you recommend getting a factory certified/refurbished Note 4 to last the next two to three years... or would you get the Note 5?

I like the removable battery and SD card part of the Note 4... but I'm already falling one year behind.

But does that really matter if the Note 4 will last me two to three plus years... and be under extended warranty?

Your suggestions, thank you.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to need a new phone in the near term. Currently on third S4 under VZ extended warranty running Lollipop. Fortunately it's running good!

If I buy a new Note 5, it's going to cost me $900 inc tax plus accesories for current model.

I can get a factory refurbished Note 4 that will be covered under VZ extended warranty for $440.

I'm already almost three generations behind with the S4... usually like to stay within one generation. Now that phones are lasting longer, here's the question...

Would you recommend getting a factory certified/refurbished Note 4 to last the next two to three years... or would you get the Note 5?

I like the removable battery and SD card part of the Note 4... but I'm already falling one year behind.

But does that really matter if the Note 4 will last me two to three plus years... and be under extended warranty?

You can't really argue with the price savings of going with the older, refurbished model. Also, if things like a removable battery and SD card are important to you, then go for the Note 4. If those things aren't really important to you, and price is not an issue, consider going for the Note 5. There may be more value for you because that device will be supported longer than the Note 4 and you can probably hold on to it longer than the Note 4 while not feeling so behind.

I just picked up a Note 5 yesterday and I love it. I never used a Note 4. The last Note phone I owned was a Note 3.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

I had the Note 4 and sold it, this was the laggiest phone I ever owned in my life. Both on Lollipop and Kit Kat! Note 5 or S6 edge+ everything opens instantly! Snappy like hell! Stay away from the Note 4 please

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
There are loopholes to use your upgrade... Which you might consider as udp is going up $20 for those off contract next month.

In any event, if you don't want to buy on contract, there was a deal for the Verizon Note 5 for $233 no contract a while back.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...33-no-service-contract-requires-bit-work.html

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

I saw your post before. Sounds good. Looks like a lot of work and finagling.

Looks like Note 5 under Lollipop and going forward might be a better choice. Even if I have to pay piper.

My UDP is business with tax ID. No increase ( for now) in UDP. Only option according to VZ to keep UDP is buy phone outright.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I saw your post before. Sounds good. Looks like a lot of work and finagling.

Looks like Note 5 under Lollipop and going forward might be a better choice. Even if I have to pay piper.

My UDP is business with tax ID. No increase ( for now) in UDP. Only option according to VZ to keep UDP is buy phone outright.

you may pay more, bit at least you'll get a phone that you'll love and enjoy.

PS: as silly as it may sound, the Note 5 and S6 edge+ has a small beautiful camera shortcut, if you double tap the home key button, it launches the camera instantly with 0 lag so you never miss taking that perfect shot! all these things even though they may seem small on paper, actually make your life much easier.

Plus, the faster hardware and more RAM on these 2 phones will make it run the upcoming Marshmallow OS even smoother ;)

Congrats in advance on your next new phone bro.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You are lucky to have a business account. Do you qualify for promotions like the one I posted?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You are lucky to have a business account. Do you qualify for promotions like the one I posted?

I was on the phone earlier with VZ. They checked... everywhere. No incentives, no free extra battery, no free car charger.

Verizon is holding tight... they're going to make the customer, newbie or long term loyalist... customers will have to pay for... EVERYTHING! VZ will give nothing to keep an account... no matter how long they've been with them.

So... I'm thinking that when I have to pay the piper... It'll be the most current phone with excellent reviews! At this moment... Note 5.