Sudden battery drain... Please help!

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Okay so earlier i got off work and noticed that my battery had gone down to 30% and the phone was warm. Confused, I went to the battery settings and saw that the Messenger app (Facebook) was taking up 22% of my battery... Okay super odd, so I cleared the cache hoping that would help it. Nothing. So then I disable and enabled the app, and that seemed to take care of the issue except now, my cell standby is at 29%!!! It has NEVER been that high and I don't even know why it would be. I tried clearing the cache again and it didn't do anything. Somebody help, what's going on??

alejovh1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I got rid of Facebook and messenger for the same reason. Once completely removed my battery it's better. I'm not sure what else to do

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Are you on Verizon?

Verizon Note 5's seem to have an issue when on WiFi with the Cell Standby using up a lot of battery.

I have both a Verizon Note 5 and an AT&T Note 5, and hardly ever see Cell standby show up on the AT&T Note, but see it all the time on the Verizon one. Although I don't recall seeing it that high.

If you are on Verizon, you'll just have to wait for a bug fix for it. I don't understand why only the Verizon model does it. Maybe it has to do with the combo CDMA / GSM radios.

Mariah Richardson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Are you on Verizon?

Verizon Note 5's seem to have an issue when on WiFi with the Cell Standby using up a lot of battery.

I have both a Verizon Note 5 and an AT&T Note 5, and hardly ever see Cell standby show up on the AT&T Note, but see it all the time on the Verizon one. Although I don't recall seeing it that high.

If you are on Verizon, you'll just have to wait for a bug fix for it. I don't understand why only the Verizon model does it. Maybe it has to do with the combo CDMA / GSM radios.

I'm not on Verizon. And the weird thing is, after charging overnight, the cell standby is back down to 1%, like it is normally. I don't understand why that happened last night, the weirdest part is Messenger being at 22% and the phone being warm, then as soon as I took care of that cell standby was at 29%. I'm not sure there would be any correlation between the two?

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
There was an up update for messenger, on Oct. 7th depending on when it hit your phone th his could be why it was draining battery, if at any time while it was updating your phone was without signal, or anything like that that could also cause high cell standby battery consumption, usually when I get app updates the battery consumption settles down after a day or 2...an app like FB or Messenger that has ALOT of permissions could take some time to settle, while it's syncing your contacts, accessing your location, pictures, and WiFi settings. But I don't think you have anything to worry about, just monitor the apps for a day or 2 and if it's still killing your battery then you may need to do something