Samsung Pay Experience (Positive)

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
My overall experience with Samsung Pay has been positive. I know some people enjoy seeing the reaction videos on Youtube and I wanted to also give my input on it. It's very seamless to add the card on your phone. If you get any problems when adding your card. Call the bank to make sure the information they have is up to date then try again.

Stores I tried: Chick Fil A, Einstein's Bagels, CVS, and gas stations

Chick Fil A doesn't have NFC terminals so this was my first location. I recently went in and the store manager took my order. He was so lost when I paid with my phone that he lost it (when it worked on the first try). He was so surprised and said "No way, how did you do that". He even got his Co workers so I can show them how I did it.

Einsteins: This shop has the older micros terminal systems so you would have to give the phone over the counter. I did it at FIU, and the person was very confused with what I was doing. When the process went through, he asked and shrugged his shoulders about what he saw. It took two times for it to process, but the whole line was looking at me with priceless reactions to what I just did.

CVS: The store I went to turned off their NFC terminals. I went to buy some snacks and the cashier told me before I used my phone "That won't work sir. We turned off the Apple Pay pad". I said "I know it won't, that's why it went through right now". She was in shock that the payment went through in a second. "I have no experience with mobile payments, but whatever" she said after talking so much smack.

Shell: I know you can't use it at the pump and I decided to go in after to pay for another snack on a late night run. The machines that are present at the shell where I'm located are the horizontal swipe machines so it's not an up to date register. I was able to get my payment through on the first try. The associate didn't even flinch, but probably thought I swiped my card LOL.

Conclusion:

All in all, I'm very satisfied that Samsung was able to innovate loop pay into their newest line of flagships. However, for anyone experiencing trouble adding their card with BOA, BOA may or may check for credit history if you're adding a card with them.

Posted via the Android Central App

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I too have had positive experiences with Samsung Pay.
Most people are amazed when I pay with the phone but one thing that kinda pissed me off was that some people think that I am using an iphone. I said, no this is Samsung Pay which is useable on most of the systems out there now and that Apple pay is not as widely accepted.
They just say oh as if it isn't a big deal now. :mad:

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
As a truck driver, I completely love Samsung pay. I do transactions at truck stops and mom & pop shops all over the country. Before Samsung Pay I have been a victim of skimmers on 3 separate occasions. Each time it involved having to call the fraud department, have them deactivate my card, and mail me a new one. Unfortunately, this would put me without access to most of my money till I got back to the house. (Many hungry nights)

Now since Samsung Pay, I don't worry about it. It is such a comfort using my fingerprint for added security. It is an extreme comfort knowing that my real card number has been tokenized and masked for that transaction. Its a huge relief to know that even if I scan at a terminal rigged with a skimmer, the numbers it recieves are only good for that transaction, and cannot be used to make a cloned card!

It has worked everywhere. From new systems to the old swipe systems, to even the swipe devices on the side of the register itself. I have to admit, I do get a kick out of a clerk that swears up and down that it won't work, and then stares at me as if I performed voodoo when it does. I simply explain its the new samsung pay you've seen commercials for, and then they think its cool. Kinda nice when you can amaze a generation half my age with technology. I LOVE IT!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note V

Last edited:

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I completely agree with you. I always have my phone in hand during transactions so why not use Samsung Pay? Am I right? I use it everywhere. I just used it earlier at Wendy's and the cashier was so lost and was staring me down. I asked her "did it go through" she looked and was surprised. I always get the "Apple Pay doesn't work here". I know that. I'm looking towards creating a podcast on topics similar to this.

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've had great luck with Samsung Pay. I've probably used it ten times this weekend with my American Express card. Only at Lowe's did I have an issue. It seemed to accept it, but the screen said to slide the card again. Then it worked fine. Used it at locally restaurants, liquor stores, and auto dealers. No problem. I love it. Game changer, in my humble opinion.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I too have had positive experiences with Samsung Pay.
Most people are amazed when I pay with the phone but one thing that kinda pissed me off was that some people think that I am using an iphone. I said, no this is Samsung Pay which is useable on most of the systems out there now and that Apple pay is not as widely accepted.
They just say oh as if it isn't a big deal now. :mad:

Not worth getting mad over, average Joe couldn't care less about the difference. They think everything is an iPhone because that's what the TV tells them to think. The one area apple crushes Android is marketing.

Envisous

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Been using mine everywhere here in L.A., 99 cent only store, Ralphs, Target even the cupcake store Sprinkles! After getting a couple of odd looks, like I was hacking the terminal for the cards, I got a couple of "that is really freaking cool", and I wanna get one of those. I only have my BofA card added, so I am not sure how to swap between more than one card if you have them added anyways, but I feel like I am the smart one and everyone else is still lagging behind swiping cards!

:0)

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I used Samsung Pay for the first time today at Best Buy. I can't wait to go to Walmart and use it since my local Walmart installed NEW card terminals that have the updated EMV card slot but STILL no NFC support. I mean if you're going to make the investment to upgrade your hardware why not include all the bells and whistles? It's like they did that in an effort to give an edge to the (probably DOA) CurrentC system. I can't know if this had anything to do with it for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. So I'll gladly use Samsung Pay and let Walmart hope and pray that CurrentC doesn't die a quick and painful death.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried using Samsung pay at CVS but it was giving me an error about connection. Looked around online and people said to remove the saved card and set it up again. I did that but still got the error. I uninstalled updates to the app and set it up again and now it doesn't give me that error. I'll have to go back and try it again.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried using Samsung pay at CVS but it was giving me an error about connection. Looked around online and people said to remove the saved card and set it up again. I did that but still got the error. I uninstalled updates to the app and set it up again and now it doesn't give me that error. I'll have to go back and try it again.

That sucks... You went from looking like cool guy paying with his phone to broke guy who can't afford the purchase.

Hopefully you got it corrected.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That sucks... You went from looking like cool guy paying with his phone to broke guy who can't afford the purchase.

Hopefully you got it corrected.

I had my card with me, it wasn't nearly that bad.

Still haven't had a chance to try it again but now it starts vibrating and shows the pic of where to hold the phone instead of immediately showing the error message when I place my finger on the home button so it's probably fixed.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Great experience. Glad you and others are able to help Samsung with in person marketing. I've also had nothing but great reactions from the store clerks and other customers. It's so cool not having to carry my wallet especially for those quick trips to the store.
I love Samsung Pay!!

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Will unlocked note 5's ever get Samsung pay? :( my card probably won't work because it's from a small bank but I'd like to have it for the future

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Will unlocked note 5's ever get Samsung pay?

Hard to tell. I'm leaning toward no. Samsung Pay works off the phone's IMEI. I know because it took them three days to move my account to a replacement phone I got. The IMEI identifies the phone's selling region by model number.

Banks may be providing access regionally (EG: U.S. cardholders can only register U.S. accounts in their home country, the U.S.) Since Samsung forbids sales of phones outside their selling market (remember region lock?) they could easily make the assumption the phone's region determines the owner's location and their access to approved U.S. banks in Samsung Pay.

So a Singaporean Note 5 owner (with a Singaporean IMEI) would only be able to register cards from banks who are Samsung Pay participants in Singapore. The global credit card companies do the same thing by identifying country of issue with a unique leading four number account number. You can use a UK issued Amex in the U.S. but you can't obtain one. You also can't get one in the UK with a U.S. address and credentials.

Others here are more optimistic and feel once (if) Samsung Pay becomes available in a phone's home region it'll work for cards/banks everywhere. Time will tell.

Nathan Innocent

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Another comment to make,

If you are having trouble with payments such as it not working as supposed to be or is giving you difficulty with transaction processing, here's a solution. That used to happen to me on my Note 5 and I decided to give Samsung live chat my two cents on it. They say "If that ever happens, remove the card, add it again, and then restart your phone."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance