10-31-2015 09:09 PM
64 123
tools
    So we are saying the same thing then. It is not my belief, it is what is written in this thread. He is not blaming the network, he doesn't see the network as the problem. Everything stated points directly at that. Location you are right, has everything to do with it. He said that signal is ok. I simply stated the Note has a good reputation and it does. But it also could be as simple as settings, all of which he dismisses. Despite good advise, he is determined to say the iPhone is the only solution. I know that not to be true. This means "to me" that there must be another motive for that stance. So you agree? The iPhone is his only solution?
    As much as I hate Apple and love Samsung, Apple seems to be more forgiving of an ok to low signal than Samsung is.
    10-24-2015 07:50 PM
    Verizon really doesn't have a good signal booster, AT&T has an OK one, really only good for a phone signal though and stops the drain from a bad signal. It is only a 3G one and costs $200. You didn't have to turn off LTE, it was just basically a mini cell tower on your house that only had 3G service. Sometimes you can get them to give you one. I have used the AT&T one. It requires high speed Internet also. The T-Mobile one though.. It is wonderful. It doesn't require Internet and only requires one bar of LTE signal. It is also good of you don't get strong enough coverage through your entire house. I have the LTE Booster and it does great for data and phone signal.

My house is in a "hole" and right below tower signals so even though I'm in a great area for all carriers, I just don't get a good signal.

After using the TMO booster, I would stick with TMO just for the booster.
    My Note would sometimes connect to the extender on its own, but not often. Because it pulled a stronger signal, it thought it was strong enough of a signal so that it didn't need the booster, but it wasn't. Hence, without a really weak signal naturally, the only way to force the Note on to the extender was to turn off 4G. This is our second extender and it has worked fine with every other phone, so I don't think the extender is the problem. It just seems like a crappy situation without a solid work-around.
    10-24-2015 09:47 PM
    My Nexus will connect to my booster automatically as will my Note and I can still get a signal without it.
    10-24-2015 11:32 PM
    Verizon really doesn't have a good signal booster, AT&T has an OK one, really only good for a phone signal though and stops the drain from a bad signal. It is only a 3G one and costs $200. You didn't have to turn off LTE, it was just basically a mini cell tower on your house that only had 3G service. Sometimes you can get them to give you one. I have used the AT&T one. It requires high speed Internet also. The T-Mobile one though.. It is wonderful. It doesn't require Internet and only requires one bar of LTE signal. It is also good of you don't get strong enough coverage through your entire house. I have the LTE Booster and it does great for data and phone signal.

My house is in a "hole" and right below tower signals so even though I'm in a great area for all carriers, I just don't get a good signal.

I would suggest a signal booster from Wilson electronics. It will help a lot. Make sure to get the right model for your needs
    10-24-2015 11:36 PM
    My TMO one is great and free. Had I kept AT&T I would have ended up buying one and getting one that would boost the LTE like my TMO one does.
    10-24-2015 11:51 PM

My Nexus will connect to my booster automatically as will my Note and I can still get a signal without it.
    My TMO one is great and free. Had I kept AT&T I would have ended up buying one and getting one that would boost the LTE like my TMO one does.
    The Verizon booster is different. Verizon wants people to use VoLTE but their boosters currently do not accept this very well. So the OP is saying his phone would try to use VoLTE but probably have issues due to the weak cell signal -- whereas on his iPhone he can force it to use the extender instead of trying to use VoLTE -- which resolves his issue with cell signal in his house. Also as he said on the Note Verizon does not want to allow people to force certain network settings (Like we can do on GSM phones).

You can't really compare the TMO one to the Verizon one as they really are completely different animals due to the technologies and different restrictions from Verizon (like not being able to change network settings).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-25-2015 12:34 AM
    Oh yeah I know the they are different, I just don't understand these cell companies. Obviously the booster TMO is using isn't secret technology. With AT&T I had to get WiFi just to get a 3G signal. My posts were more of a "I know this can work so why don't companies make this work for people" kind of thing.

Obviously companies can do it, so now.. Why aren't they? I found out I could do something different and told them where to stick their 3G booster.. But we shouldn't have to do that. AT&T's booster seems to work better than Verizon's and that is bad if AT&T's is better.

I understand why his issue came about, what I don't understand is why companies are not giving their customers better options. I was just kinda thinking out loud lol
    jerry12 likes this.
    10-25-2015 09:21 AM
    The Verizon booster is different. Verizon wants people to use VoLTE but their boosters currently do not accept this very well. So the OP is saying his phone would try to use VoLTE but probably have issues due to the weak cell signal -- whereas on his iPhone he can force it to use the extender instead of trying to use VoLTE -- which resolves his issue with cell signal in his house. Also as he said on the Note Verizon does not want to allow people to force certain network settings (Like we can do on GSM phones).

You can't really compare the TMO one to the Verizon one as they really are completely different animals due to the technologies and different restrictions from Verizon (like not being able to change network settings).
    Thank you very much for explaining that.

Oh yeah I know the they are different, I just don't understand these cell companies. Obviously the booster TMO is using isn't secret technology. With AT&T I had to get WiFi just to get a 3G signal. My posts were more of a "I know this can work so why don't companies make this work for people" kind of thing.

Obviously companies can do it, so now.. Why aren't they? I found out I could do something different and told them where to stick their 3G booster.. But we shouldn't have to do that. AT&T's booster seems to work better than Verizon's and that is bad if AT&T's is better.

I understand why his issue came about, what I don't understand is why companies are not giving their customers better options. I was just kinda thinking out loud lol
    I understood what you were saying, I never took it in the same vein as the other posters.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    10-25-2015 11:16 AM
    I just don't understand why carriers don't give their customers better options. I had to basically throw a fit to get a 3G booster from AT&T for free when my service went to crap when I bought an LTE phone. I thought the LTE Booster just wasn't technology that could be done.

T-Mobile said, we have two options, they are free and you have your phones at two different locations so you can have two boosters if you want. I was in shock.

My data speed without a booster is about 2 Mbps, really unusable. With my booster it is about 20-30 Mbps. So with AT&T I used about 1 to 1.5 gb of data a month. With T-Mobile, I'm halfway through the month and I'm on 13 gb of data. There was never a reason for me to increase my data with AT&T, but I am about to increase my data with T-Mobile. Verizon signals are the same here.

So.. T-Mobile is making a customer happy, got 5 lines brought to them and are selling me more data. AT&T lost 5 lines after 8 years and they lost all the cell phones we buy also. It would be the same with Verizon.

I just don't understand it. If your customer is having bad service and there are plenty of carriers now willing to buy them out of their contract with you, why wouldn't you make your customer happy when there is such a cheap and easy fix? More money for you.

Either I'm missing something big or AT&T and Verizon are just being idiots and their #1 and #2 spots are in danger.

There are special things I get from T-Mobile loyalty because I kept one plan with them for years, it is about 14 years old and now I have two accounts with them. They have a loyalty department for those customers. BUT.. This free signal booster is what they do for everyone. I left T-Mobile because their customer service was getting so bad and I left over a $5 credit they refused to give, I took 5 lines. Seems like T-Mobile has learned a lesson over the years and OS turning things around. My booster requires you have at least one bar of LTE and doesn't depend on you having Internet. If TMO can do that for free, AT&T and Verizon can too, they just aren't doing it. It just doesn't make sense to to me. The booster is great, the bill cut in half is even better. It just looks like Verizon and AT&T don't care if their customers leave.. I just don't understand.
    jerry12 likes this.
    10-25-2015 11:56 AM
    ATT should really need to make WiFi calling available on Note 5. It was nice on the iPhone when I am at the area where signal is not as good then WiFi calling seamlessly kicks in.
    It Was Short, But It Was Great! My Journey From A Note 5 To An iPhone 6S...-uploadfromtaptalk1445793577390.jpegIt Was Short, But It Was Great! My Journey From A Note 5 To An iPhone 6S...-uploadfromtaptalk1445793594105.jpeg
    10-25-2015 12:20 PM
    I don't even use WiFi calling at all. I've used it once, when I was on a low signal area.
    10-25-2015 12:33 PM
    I just don't understand it. If your customer is having bad service and there are plenty of carriers now willing to buy them out of their contract with you, why wouldn't you make your customer happy when there is such a cheap and easy fix? More money for you.

Either I'm missing something big or AT&T and Verizon are just being idiots and their #1 and #2 spots are in danger.
    While normally I agree the case here isn't this. He has a booster but Verizon's booster still runs on their CDMA through the persons home internet. Until they get a new booster he will have this issue (or whenever Verizon released WiFi calling that may help).

Verizon just needs to get a new booster that can handle VoLTE over a persons internet (since it is technically a VoIP call) and that would solve the issue.
    jerry12 likes this.
    10-25-2015 01:18 PM
    Well that is what I'm basically saying, most of the carriers aren't doing good boosters. Options are very limited.
    jerry12 likes this.
    10-25-2015 03:06 PM
    For anyone who suggested another carrier, I just gave AT&T a try (I put the SIM in my old iPhone 6 Plus) and it's worse than Verizon at my house. It says it has an LTE signal most of the time but it produces literally sub-3G data speeds and at other times other times it loses signal all together. I'm sure it could be made better with a repeater, but since it's even worse than Verizon (even without a Verizon repeater) out of the box, I don't really see the point, especially given that I'd have to give up my unlimited data. Sprint and T-Mobile have no signal whatsoever at my house so the only other option would be US Cellular, but I don't think I want to go that route again as they're always slower to get new technology.
    10-31-2015 09:09 PM
64 123