Keyboard discussion - Google vs SK vs Samsung

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've been participating in a thread about keyboards here on AC but in another forum. It was in some nexus forum I found via an internet search about the the swiftkey keyboard and would rather bring it here since we all have the Samsung option as well.

I have never tried the Google keyboard till reading that thread and reading everyone praise it. I've been off and on with it since last night and have mixed feelings about it.

I was searching regarding the Swiftkey lack of personal dictionary which I like. Both the Samsung and Google have that option.

I have been using the Samsung keyboard that comes on the Note since I got it. I've been a loyal Swiftkey user on my pervious phones but found the Samsung standard one to be pretty good minus theme options.

What are you guys using? Pros and cons?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Mike_786

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I was using the samsung keyboard since I got it but then changed it to minimum keyboard which looked cool but wasn't that great. I recently changed to swiftkey keyboard which is the best one I've used so far.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd also have to add the new swiftkey neural beta to the list. It's got some new technology to predict and correct and it's freaky good. Crazy how it does it.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I prefer swiping over typing and find that Google keyboard is the best for that. I wanted to love swift key, I used it for a while on my Note 3 and purchased several themes, which were cool, but the bugs with flow were ultimately too annoying to continue to use on a daily basis

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled Google keyboard. It doesn't have the symbols over the keys.

I prefer to use the Samsung keyboard but it's terrible. If I type I'm, it replaces it with I'mean, when I type I've, it replaces it with I'very. That's ridiculous and it doesn't learn to stop doing it.

So now I use SwiftKey.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I have used all three plus SK neural and am back to the Samsung keyboard. The Samsung keyboard is simply much better integrated to the many features of the Note series and has many features the others don't. Like being able to select which clipboard entry you wish to paste, not only the last one. The ability to delete all of the clipboard entries or selected keyboard entries. If it had the option of a dark theme keyboard it would be perfect for me. SK has great themes (the only reason I have used it over the years). It does learn quickly and swipe or flow works well. Google simply doesn't work for me at any level. Neural is slow, doesn't learn well unless you are using street English and valley doll talk in my experience. But in fairness to Neural it is an Alpha version right now so very new out of the gate.

smalba

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I like the Samsung keyboard a lot. And swift key is good too. I just switch between them.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've tried them all and for me, the Samsung keyboard has been the best.
Love the swype feature but the auto correct has some issues.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing how we can all use the same three keyboards and have varying opinions. IMO:
SAMSUNG: terrible when used by swyping . Fails to enter correctly the simplest of words. Doesn't access my contracts and previous entries. Terrible at themes.
SK: Has nice themes. Not as bad as Samsung at swyping. Best arrangement of numbers, letters and.....
GOOGLE: FANTASTIC at swyping. Accesses your contacts and personal dictionary. Nice themes.
THE WINNER: GOOGLE.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It's highly subjective, for sure.

But, one thing that may bite you in the a$$ with SwiftKey is an issue that been around since that product hit the market - and that's really, really bad lag if you are working on documents.

If your use of your phone is limited to a couple of lines of text, or maybe 1 page of text in an editor, SK can work just fine. Beyond that, SK has never worked for me, or countless other users - just look at their site listing bugs/issues. If you open a Google doc with more than a few pages for instance, SK just outright doesn't work - it just simply stops. No response. Year after year, device after device, across OS versions. Does that suck, or what? Worse yet, many paid customers (myself included) have provided all of the test data SK devs need to replicate the problem - they see it and fully admit it - and they don't fix it.

So, if you do more than a 140-character Tweet, look elsewhere. SK continues to suck.
Google keyboard is brilliant for keyboard entry. For me, nothing comes close.
For handwriting entry, I've now gone back to the the N5 "Direct Pen Input" (the little blue icon thing). This is hands-down the best, smartest, most accurate handwriting recognition I've seen, and I've been doing this since 1993 on the Apple Newton!!

Again, highly subjective...

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
It's amazing how we can all use the same three keyboards and have varying opinions. IMO:
SAMSUNG: terrible when used by swyping . Fails to enter correctly the simplest of words. Doesn't access my contracts and previous entries. Terrible at themes.
SK: Has nice themes. Not as bad as Samsung at swyping. Best arrangement of numbers, letters and.....
GOOGLE: FANTASTIC at swyping. Accesses your contacts and personal dictionary. Nice themes.
THE WINNER: GOOGLE.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

Themes? For Google Keyboard? Where can I find ones outside the 4 they have in the app as downloaded. Those suck if you ask me lol

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
It's highly subjective, for sure.

But, one thing that may bite you in the a$$ with SwiftKey is an issue that been around since that product hit the market - and that's really, really bad lag if you are working on documents.

If your use of your phone is limited to a couple of lines of text, or maybe 1 page of text in an editor, SK can work just fine. Beyond that, SK has never worked for me, or countless other users - just look at their site listing bugs/issues. If you open a Google doc with more than a few pages for instance, SK just outright doesn't work - it just simply stops. No response. Year after year, device after device, across OS versions. Does that suck, or what? Worse yet, many paid customers (myself included) have provided all of the test data SK devs need to replicate the problem - they see it and fully admit it - and they don't fix it.

So, if you do more than a 140-character Tweet, look elsewhere. SK continues to suck.
Google keyboard is brilliant for keyboard entry. For me, nothing comes close.
For handwriting entry, I've now gone back to the the N5 "Direct Pen Input" (the little blue icon thing). This is hands-down the best, smartest, most accurate handwriting recognition I've seen, and I've been doing this since 1993 on the Apple Newton!!

Again, highly subjective...

Yes I've experienced the lag myself and can type fast on the google keyboard. Wish they had the following:

Number row option

More theme choices

Ability to resize (i find myself reaching for top row on my note 5)

Characters on the letter keys so you can long press to get characters like ";:/?@ etc

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I recently started using SK Neural. Much better auto correct and text prediction than regular SK, just with not as many themes. Only has two at the moment, but does have a lot of size and splitting options

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I just turned on Google keyboard for a few emails and texts and found myself having to backspace and retype non stop. Back to neural.

If you haven't tried it, you should give it a shot. I mean it's crazy how it corrects and predicts.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I always use SwiftKey on all my phones. It is pretty awesome.

I am using Swiftkey Neural now so I can test it out -- it is working well :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy