Input only allows voice inputs, my keyboard no longer shows up

Maoson

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
The strangest thing happened to my Note 5 today. Whenever I press an input field on my device (ex: text message, google search, contact search, etc...) to begin texting, my keyboard no longer shows up and only Google voice commands show up. My S pen doesn't bring up a writing field either. The only input that works is Google Voice. Troubleshooting this is difficult because it seems like no one else is posting a similar problem. I don't remember messing with any options that would trigger this. Any idea what is causing this problem?

Maoson

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I have already troubleshooted that, however the option to change it is locked.I am currently on the phone with Samsung support and so far it hasn't been successful. I have been transferred to a level 2 tech support. I will update this thread with results.

Maoson

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Dasupaman was correct in his direction towards the solution of the problem, however this case was different. The option to choose the Samsung keyboard was not present under the languages and input section even after setting the phone to safe mode. In other words the Samsung keyboard somehow got deleted permanently off of the phone and the only way Android was able to read any inputs was through voice commands. After spending nearly 2 hours on the phone with Samsung tech support , there was no solution for installing the keyboard back onto my phone, thus resulting in a system reset of my note 5.

TLDR:
If Input commands only brings up Google voice instead of your keyboard, check settings >> "languages and input" and make sure that the Samsung keyboard is the primary input option. If that doesn't work, factory reset phone.

Hope this helps.

SoulSnatcher

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
If anyone else runs into this issue you DON'T have to System Reset or Factory Reset your device! It's a real simple fix... just go to Galaxy Store (if you have Samsung Device) & download & install the Samsung Keyboard App or go to Google Playstore & install Google Gboard (or any other Keyboard app) then go to Settings >> General Management >> Language and Input >> Default keyboard >> SET UP INPUT METHODS (or whatever the categories in 'Settings' are on your device - there's a 'SEARCH' option in top right corner of the 'Settings' page if you need it) & select whichever Keyboard you just installed... BAM! That's it! Done! :cool: Quick - Easy - Painless. You're Welcome lol.

If this solution helped you, Please show some Love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21