Touchwiz

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I see a lot of people not really liking this interface, which leads them to not getting this phone. I am interested in trying this device. My question is, can Nova launcher be used on this phone in place of Touchwiz? I admit I don't know a lot about this device, so hope it's not out of line ☺. I guess what I'm asking is the note 5 just as customizable as any other android phone? Thanks all!

Posted via the Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can install any Android friendly launcher. However, I would strongly suggest you work with TW for a bit and get to know it. It is specifically designed for Samsung phones and does stuff the others don't on a Samsung phone. Now with the option of using 3rd party Themes with TW you have many more options as to the look of TW which is really where most of the complaints about TW reside.

ramiss

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I suspect that most people (general population) like TouchWiz. Us over achievers (I use that fondly) however mostly remember what TouchWiz was several years ago and use something else. That and the rooting tradition of hating anything stock have given TouchWiz a bad rap.

Having used both Nova and TouchWiz extensively I can tell you I like Novas extra features but it has always bogged down my device. I like TouchWiz right now because it works well and seems very light compared to the old days.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can install any Android friendly launcher. However, I would strongly suggest you work with TW for a bit and get to know it. It is specifically designed for Samsung phones and does stuff the others don't on a Samsung phone. Now with the option of using 3rd party Themes with TW you have many more options as to the look of TW which is really where most of the complaints about TW reside.

That really makes a lot of sense, just try to get use to it. I did figure it had a purpose and should just be left alone ☺. Great suggestion, thanks!

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I suspect that most people (general population) like TouchWiz. Us over achievers (I use that fondly) however mostly remember what TouchWiz was several years ago and use something else. That and the rooting tradition of hating anything stock have given TouchWiz a bad rap.

Having used both Nova and TouchWiz extensively I can tell you I like Novas extra features but it has always bogged down my device. I like TouchWiz right now because it works well and seems very light compared to the old days.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Great point! Thanks

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
This new TouchWiz isn't bad actually. It is extremely fast and snappy. Of course I've only had this Note 5 for 7 days but so far so good. I just installed the Material Dark (free) theme from the Theme Store and I haven't changed anything else. Nor have I felt the need to change anything else.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have always been a Nova Prime user but this version of TouchWiz is very good. No lag what so ever on my Note 5. There are themes now and apps that allow you to change icons so there is not a real need for Nova, YMMV. I switch every now and then back and forth but most of the time I use TW.

Nvincible

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I've had the Note 3, 4 and now 5 and I actually really like TW on this version. I like to always play with settings so have tried Nova already a couple of times on the 5 but both times I've switched back to TW. It really seems to be faster and does better on battery life for me with TW.
I would definitely not pass on the Note5 because of what you've heard about TW. It is a fantastic phone (in my opinion anyway).

sqa4life

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Nova for a long time and they are good at updating. Tried other launchers and keep going back to Nova.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have always been a Nova Prime user but this version of TouchWiz is very good. No lag what so ever on my Note 5. There are themes now and apps that allow you to change icons so there is not a real need for Nova, YMMV. I switch every now and then back and forth but most of the time I use TW.

What app allows you to change icons when using touchwiz?

PinkLipstick

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
What app allows you to change icons when using touchwiz?

Its called "Theme Store", already installed on the phone. It changes more than just the icons. Wallpaper is changed to the specific theme but you can always change it to whatever you like, dialer colors are changed, text background, bubbles, and sometimes the keyboard change. The themes are pretty cool. Some are free others are paid. I was using Nova Launcher when I first got my phone but I switched back to TW with the use of a theme.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I was using Nova Launcher when I first got my phone but I switched back to TW with the use of a theme.

I just did the same thing 2 days ago - I went back to TW and set it up the way I wanted it. It does seem smoother and quicker than the 3rd Party Launchers... I'm happy so far!

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Its called "Theme Store", already installed on the phone. It changes more than just the icons. Wallpaper is changed to the specific theme but you can always change it to whatever you like, dialer colors are changed, text background, bubbles, and sometimes the keyboard change. The themes are pretty cool. Some are free others are paid. I was using Nova Launcher when I first got my phone but I switched back to TW with the use of a theme.

Oh I thought you meant an actual app from the Play Store. I use the Theme Store, but it does not allow you to install any icon pack you want (which sucks).

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks you guys for all the information and thoughts on my concern of Touchwiz. Awesome group here ☺

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh I thought you meant an actual app from the Play Store. I use the Theme Store, but it does not allow you to install any icon pack you want (which sucks).

Yes there is an app in the app store called icon changer that will allow you to use icons from different icon packs on Touch Wiz

Nyvideo

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to get unread counts in Touchwiz? My gmail icon doesn't show how many unread messages, and same with Facebook.
My Nova launcher does.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I see a lot of people not really liking this interface, which leads them to not getting this phone. I am interested in trying this device. My question is, can Nova launcher be used on this phone in place of Touchwiz? I admit I don't know a lot about this device, so hope it's not out of line ☺. I guess what I'm asking is the note 5 just as customizable as any other android phone? Thanks all!

If you're an "Android enthusiast" bashing touchwiz seems to be the cool thing to do. Please don't listen to this special group of people and base your decision to buy the phone on their comments; chances are good that they've never used a Note 5.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 that I bought in June of 2014. I've hated touchwiz from the start. I've been using Google Now. I may want to try Touchwiz again. Can touchwiz coexist with Google Now? Can I use both? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy