Anybody here uses the Note 5 completely naked?

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Same, but I go back and fourth depending on what I'm doing and how clumsy I feel that day!

Your're right it's better than nothing... at least until I get insurance.

What sucks is that I've never dropped the 5 with the case on it (go figure), but I've dropped it twice on my hardwood floor and twice on cement at work while sitting down without a case. It slipped right out of my pocket. My heart stopped each time! I got lucky. No breaks or scratches! But it's not just slippery in the hands as it can easily slide out of the pocket as well. Certain cases truly do prevent slippage as well as protection from falls.

did you drop it on HARD wood floor or just hardwood floor? (there is a difference)

I had Asurion/Verizon insurance on my old S5. I accidentally dropped it in the bathtub while shooting video of my cat soaking in the warm water.(don't ask, he loves it... cries when I take him out).

I called Asurion and they sent me a replacement S5 the next day.

I figured that I was going to send the dead S5 back to Asurion, so I gave it a few drop tests in the Otterbox Defender case. No matter how hard I slammed it on the tile floor, there was absolutely no damage. I even went so far as to toss it out the 2nd story window, landing on the concrete driveway. Still no damage. The case was also fine, except scratches on the rubber and plastic parts. Too bad the Defender case was not waterproof. :) I reused that Defender case on the replacement S5. :)

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: anybody here uses the Note5 completely naked?

it just occurred to me that people reading this thread might have gotten the wrong idea...
it's about fully-clothed people using naked Note5... not naked people using Note5.

Edit: on second thought, nothing wrong if naked people using naked Note 5. I'm sure
people in nudist resorts appreciate that fact that the Note 5 has the S-Pen built-in.
They can just write stuff on the Note 5 with no need to carry a pen around since
they aren't wearing any clothes.

Last edited:

Fnord

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I've had it naked for about a month. Small ding on a corner which doesn't bother me, but got a noticeable scratch over the center of the screen. Just pot on a tempered glass protector and it made the scratch vanish. As much as I can't stand screen protectors, with a toddler around the house there is too much sand around from his park visits to risk further damage.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I do. Bought it on launch day. Minor nicks on the edges, no scratches on the glass. IMO Samsung devices don't hold their value enough to sacrifice the aesthetics with a case. I'll enjoy it for a year, get a modest return once I sell and move on.

Actually they do hold their value IMO. I've sold all of mine but my Note 4 and sold them all for more than I ever paid for them. The least amount I sold one for was my S5 and I sold it for $300, all the others I sold for $400.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

Actually they do hold their value IMO. I've sold all of mine but my Note 4 and sold them all for more than I ever paid for them. The least amount I sold one for was my S5 and I sold it for $300, all the others I sold for $400.

Yep! I agree. I sold my Note 4 and it's accessories for 565.00 a few months ago to prepare for the purchase of my Note 5.

pmendoza502

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site

Check out the obliq case on amazon, its what i have in clear. Almost naked but has a kickstand, like it so much better than my spiegen

krispy_mobile

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

I never use cases and don't want to with the Note 5, but this thing is the most slippery phone I've ever had.

Are they any screen protectors or similar that protect the back, leave an essentially stock look? Bonus points if it reduces fingerprints as well.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I never use cases and don't want to with the Note 5, but this thing is the most slippery phone I've ever had.

Are they any screen protectors or similar that protect the back, leave an essentially stock look? Bonus points if it reduces fingerprints as well.

I got the Spigen Liquid Crystal. I also got the Neo Hybrid but it made it too big/wide. Returned it.

The liquid crystal is the best I've had. Can barely tell got one on. Very sleek. The fingerprints... It has them but I suspect no more than if you have it naked

Posted via the Android Central App

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site

I went naked with Note 4 but won't with Note 5 until mid year. I do have dbrand skin and just got the spigen liquid crystal case. There cannot be anything thinner than this case except saran wrap or a full body skin. I have another clear case that I thought was thin but this one is much thinner.

Galaxy Note 5 Case, Spigen® [Liquid Crystal] Ultra Thin Premium Semi-transparent Lightweight / Exact Fit / NO Bulkiness Soft Case for Galaxy Note 5 (2015) - Liquid Crystal (SGP11708) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MWEUI...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4776543

**** that is slick might have to order that..how's the grip and dose it stay on or u offen find urself poping a corner back on?

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

I have the liquid crystal case and a thin pet screen protector. The case is more for a better grip. I also have the Tech21 case. Both serve a purpose. When I want more protection I use the Tech21.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site

Mines naked now but I'm waiting on a case. No scratches or anything yet though I've had it just since friday

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site

I can't keep this phone in my big hands without it slipping out. Bought a skin from dbrand and that definitely helps. Using Spigen LC case as well from time to time and its really like nothing is there.

Those rounded sides are hot but man are they slick!

krispy_mobile

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

I got the Spigen Liquid Crystal. I also got the Neo Hybrid but it made it too big/wide. Returned it.

The liquid crystal is the best I've had. Can barely tell got one on. Very sleek. The fingerprints... It has them but I suspect no more than if you have it naked

Thanks, I've ordered that Spigen in hopes it still seems "naked" and adds some grip. I'm also going to try going with just the back from the Skinomi clear skin. There's a YouTube video of it on the note 5 and they say it adds grip and it still looks stock. I'd post the link, but I'm one post from being able to do so.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I could drop a roll of 2 sided tape covered with stick em and pine tar. I need a double case and insurance. I'm also good at breaking buttons. Power buttons, volume rockers, no matter - I break em all. Oddly, never broken a screen. Not even a bad scratch and I do not use any kind of screen protector. The glass ones are ok but they seem to get more fingerprints than native screen.

I actually LIKE a thick case.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, I've ordered that Spigen in hopes it still seems "naked" and adds some grip. I'm also going to try going with just the back from the Skinomi clear skin. There's a YouTube video of it on the note 5 and they say it adds grip and it still looks stock. I'd post the link, but I'm one post from being able to do so.

I'm on record as being a case hater. I generally think they're all ugly. I get why some people need or want them, but I'm not prone to dropping my phones and I like the way my phone feels in my hand, especially the Note 5.

That being said, I always get the slimmest clear tpu case I can find. Clear because it doesn't take away from the look of the phone, and slim because I hope it will keep the phone feeling great in my hand without adding bulk. Typically I use them for about a week, maybe 2, then they get thrown in a drawer and pulled out when one of the kids wants to use my phone for an extended period of time.

Where am I going with this? I'm glad you asked. I got the Spigen liquid crystal myself, hoping for the same thing you are. As far as cases go, it's the best at doing what I want. Feels decent, nowhere near as good as without the case, but I didn't hate it. It's crystal clear, which is great, and even a little rounded on the edges just like the phone. That being said, the case lasted a record three weeks, but now resides in the drawer. I really just love the way the Note 5 feels in my hand.

krispy_mobile

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

I'm on record as being a case hater. I generally think they're all ugly. I get why some people need or want them, but I'm not prone to dropping my phones and I like the way my phone feels in my hand, especially the Note 5.

That being said, I always get the slimmest clear tpu case I can find. Clear because it doesn't take away from the look of the phone, and slim because I hope it will keep the phone feeling great in my hand without adding bulk. Typically I use them for about a week, maybe 2, then they get thrown in a drawer and pulled out when one of the kids wants to use my phone for an extended period of time.

Where am I going with this? I'm glad you asked. I got the Spigen liquid crystal myself, hoping for the same thing you are. As far as cases go, it's the best at doing what I want. Feels decent, nowhere near as good as without the case, but I didn't hate it. It's crystal clear, which is great, and even a little rounded on the edges just like the phone. That being said, the case lasted a record three weeks, but now resides in the drawer. I really just love the way the Note 5 feels in my hand.

Thanks kj11, my Spigen Crystal Clear arrived and I've been playing with it for the last 1/2 hour or so and I came back to this thread to give my take and find your post. I might as well just reply +1. :)

I have to think the Spigen is a minimal as it gets other than just putting a wrap on the back for grip. I'm ordering the Skinomi clear skin tonight. I think those two options, coupled with the going naked option, will be enough for me to make a decision.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I can understand it. Despite having small hands I actually prefer a thicker phone. I used to like the leather back. So buy insurance and go commando