the screen feels really warm(119 degrees) when charging using the fast charger.... is this normal?

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
when I use the included fast charging charger to charge my Note 5, the screen feels really warm after about 15 to 20 minutes. The fast charging uses higher voltage to deliver more juice and this causes the battery to heat up, right?

just to scientific about it, I used my infrared thermometer to check the temps. before plugging in the charger, the phone screen surface temperature was 78 degrees.(a couple of degrees above my room temperature) 15 minutes after I plug in the fast charger, the surface temperature has risen to 112 degree. after 30 minutes, it was 119 degrees and remained 119 until the battery reached 100%.

if I only use a regular 2A Samsung charger(like from my old S5 or Note 3), the screen doesn't feel warm at all. with the same thermometer, the screen surface temps ranged from 79 to 89. (so it does heat up, but not so much that it feels warm enough to my bare hands)

as with any thing electronic, heat is the biggest enemy. I'm wondering if using the fast charger all the time with the increase in temperature will shorten the battery's life expectancy? I usually trade my phones after a little over 1 year, so I guess it's not that big of a deal to me... but still...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it's normal for the screen (at the charger spot) to get warmer if you are using Fast Charging. How hot, however, I couldn't tell as I haven't measured it or haven't seen any literature on it, but it feels pretty hot. It should stop, however, once the charge reaches 100% or near the higher levels (Fast Charge actually slows down near the top 20%)

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yup, it's normal for the screen (at the charger spot) to get warmer if you are using Fast Charging. How hot, however, I couldn't tell as I haven't measured it or haven't seen any literature on it, but it feels pretty hot. It should stop, however, once the charge reaches 100% or near the higher levels (Fast Charge actually slows down near the top 20%)

after a few more tests using my four Note 5 phones, I have stopped using the included fast chargers. they simply raise the temperature to more that what I'm comfortable with, for the longevity of the battery or the phone. (as much as 120 degrees) Unlike previous Note phones where I can just dump and replace the battery... it's not possible to do so with the Note 5, so I prefer to keep the battery as cool as possible to help it last at least a couple of years or more.

with the old 2A Samsung chargers, none of the four Note 5 phones went above 89 degrees at any time during the charging process.

I will probably use the fast charger if I need to quickly charge the phone in a hurry. (which is quite rare)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, the 'overheating' only happens when you're fast charging. It's just how it is. Think of you walking for a mile VS running for a mile. In which scenario are you most likely to end up sweaty? :)

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yup, the 'overheating' only happens when you're fast charging. It's just how it is. Think of you walking for a mile VS running for a mile. In which scenario are you most likely to end up sweaty? :)

I'm not sure that's the correct analogy? Running and becoming sweaty is actually pretty health. So I should let my Note 5's battery do fast charge more often to promote its health? :D :D :D (instead of being a couch potato and lazily charge with slow chargers?) :D :D :D

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, you're right. A better analogy would be drinking your morning coffee one sip at a time over 15 minutes VS drinking the whole cup in a continuous gulps in a couple minutes. Haha.

The point is the 'stress' of pulling in a faster charge results in heat. Not sure it'll damage the components though, but I wouldn't put it past Sammy to have overlooked this when spec'ing their battery components.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
OK, you're right. A better analogy would be drinking your morning coffee one sip at a time over 15 minutes VS drinking the whole cup in a continuous gulps in a couple minutes. Haha.

The point is the 'stress' of pulling in a faster charge results in heat. Not sure it'll damage the components though, but I wouldn't put it past Sammy to have overlooked this when spec'ing their battery components.

When my Note 5's battery went down to 10% last night, I decided to test my "theory" with an old Samsung flip-phone 750mA USB charger.

It sure took a long time to charge from 10% to 100%... 3 hours and 11 minutes. However, there was almost no change in the temperature of the phone at all.

When I plugged the charger in at 10%, my infrared thermometer showed 77 degrees on the front and back of the Note 5. Room temperature was 75 degrees. I turned on airplane mode and turned screen brightness to the absolute minimum, just so I can get a more accurate reading.

When the battery reached 40%, the temperature was 78 degrees. At 82%, it showed 77 degrees. When it finally reached 100%, the =temperature was 78 degrees. (at this time, room temperature was 73 degrees)

I guess the old 750mA USB charger was slow, but it also added no almost no heat to the battery/phone... that's can't be bad, can it? :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow, charging on a 750mA charger? That would take a loooong time, and not even sure it'd be able to charge at all if you were actively using the phone.

Again, unless you're planning on using this phone for 4 years, I wouldn't worry about the heat...it's normal! If Fast Charging freaks you out since it does get way hotter than what we're used to seeing/feeling, I'd stick to the 2A standard charger.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Wow, charging on a 750mA charger? That would take a loooong time, and not even sure it'd be able to charge at all if you were actively using the phone.

Again, unless you're planning on using this phone for 4 years, I wouldn't worry about the heat...it's normal! If Fast Charging freaks you out since it does get way hotter than what we're used to seeing/feeling, I'd stick to the 2A standard charger.

3 hours to charge from 10% to 100% using 750mA charger isn't that bad. If I'm in a hurry, I can always switch to the Samsung 2A charger or the Note 5's own faster charger.

Sorry.. I guess I forgot to mention why I was even wondering about this issue.

I never sell my old phones. I currently have a drawer full of old phones. Off the top of my head, there are: Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note 2, 3, 4... (all are Verizon, except the Galaxy Nexus, which is GSM int'l unlocked) With any of them, I could just throw a brand new battery in there and the phone will be almost as good as new.

Not so with the Note 5 with non-removable battery.... which is why I want to keep the internal battery in good shape for as long as humanly possible. :D

JawjaBill

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I went into Accessories and turned Fast Charging off. It now charges at standard wireless rate and I notice a much cooler phone. If I need faster, I'll just turn it back on or plug in.

KiwiCoalBattery

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I went into Accessories and turned Fast Charging off. It now charges at standard wireless rate and I notice a much cooler phone. If I need faster, I'll just turn it back on or plug in.

you know what? that's just what I was thinking about... where the heck is the accessories menu in setting? can't seem to find it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think they removed that option from the Note 5. I remember it was on the 4, but I think from the S6 on they took that option out.

Apr 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys. I made a mistake of fast charging my note5 when inside a pouch and it reached 40 degrees celcius upom charging for about 20 to 30 mins Do you think it may have damaged the battry? I am being paranoid now on how my batterry drains on average it drains for about 10% per hour with mobile data location and common social task like facebook or youtube. THANKS

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys. I made a mistake of fast charging my note5 when inside a pouch and it reached 40 degrees celcius upom charging for about 20 to 30 mins Do you think it may have damaged the battry? I am being paranoid now on how my batterry drains on average it drains for about 10% per hour with mobile data location and common social task like facebook or youtube. THANKS

See response here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-note-5-fast-charging-40-degrees-celsius.html

Anjel Ayala

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
3 hours to charge from 10% to 100% using 750mA charger isn't that bad. If I'm in a hurry, I can always switch to the Samsung 2A charger or the Note 5's own faster charger.

Sorry.. I guess I forgot to mention why I was even wondering about this issue.

I never sell my old phones. I currently have a drawer full of old phones. Off the top of my head, there are: Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, S4, S5, Note 2, 3, 4... (all are Verizon, except the Galaxy Nexus, which is GSM int'l unlocked) With any of them, I could just throw a brand new battery in there and the phone will be almost as good as new.

Not so with the Note 5 with non-removable battery.... which is why I want to keep the internal battery in good shape for as long as humanly possible. :D

Anjel Ayala

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Well if u go to settings u can actually turn fast charge on/off and recharge time goes up to about 4 hours to 5 hr. At night witch to normal charge. Once during the day do a fast charge. I'm sure u will never have to replace battery for life of ur phone. If that's not the case look at this way paying a for a new battery isn't bad for the luxury of having a full charge in a hour. That's if ur handy enough to to open up ur note 5 and replace battery. I manage to replace a motherboard on a s4 the first attempt. I'm sure a battery is like a 20 min job. Just like a car drive it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs