Hey Everyone! I recently switched over to a note 5 from the galaxy s4.

Been loving it so far but there is one concern. Samsung seems to have removed the restrict background data option for individual apps. Now the "Restrict background data" option applies to all the apps. It blocks off background data for all the apps together.

Is there any way to restrict background data for certain apps only? i want to allow only whatsapp and BBM to use background data but this doesn't seems possible to me.

P.S. my phone is not rooted.

Any help will be Appreciated. Thanks & Regards.
    10-20-2015 10:48 AM
    It's still there, all you have to do is go to your Data Usage report, scroll down to the app list, find the app you want to restrict, and voila! Just flip the switch for the ones you want to restrict.
    10-20-2015 11:25 AM
    It's still there, all you have to do is go to your Data Usage report, scroll down to the app list, find the app you want to restrict, and voila! Just flip the switch for the ones you want to restrict.
    Fyi it works for most, but not all apps.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    SpookDroid likes this.
    10-21-2015 09:51 AM
    Good info here.

I re enabled Facebook app and restricted background data. Going to see if that helps.

Also went in and restricted other hogs...
    Weather Bug
    Twitter
    Facebook Messenger
    Etc...

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-21-2015 10:15 AM
    Is the idea here only to save data or will this actually help with battery usage.
    10-21-2015 10:16 AM
    Is the idea here only to save data or will this actually help with battery usage.
    Both actually... Because refreshing the app with data uses battery.

10-21-2015 11:46 AM
    Both actually... Because refreshing the app with data uses battery.

Thats what I had thought, but reading about it also paints another picture. Since apps are not stored in memory and dont refresh, everytime you open the app...it will use more power to bring it up to speed. Dont buy into the idea...but got to do more research.
    10-21-2015 12:02 PM
    Thats what I had thought, but reading about it also paints another picture. Since apps are not stored in memory and dont refresh, everytime you open the app...it will use more power to bring it up to speed. Dont buy into the idea...but got to do more research.
    Well apps that update in the background like Facebook will use data and battery power to update. Now if the app doesn't update in the background then disabling background data won't make a difference

10-21-2015 12:25 PM