What in the heck is this notification?

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I did the update today from Verizon and since then I have this new notification but when I pull down notifications to check it there's nothing there telling me what it is.

Anyone know?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 566.jpg
    566.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 166

zero157h7

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Elsym is correct. It's NFC. If you don't like it and don't use it, turn off NFC in Quick Settings. You can't get rid of the icon without rooting last I checked. I personally have just decided to hide that bar on my homescreen. It's out of control.

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Elsym is correct. It's NFC. If you don't like it and don't use it, turn off NFC in Quick Settings. You can't get rid of the icon without rooting last I checked. I personally have just decided to hide that bar on my homescreen. It's out of control.

Is this needed for Samsung pay?

I just tried to use Samsung Pay and it failed. Twice. Ugh

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Is this needed for Samsung pay?

I just tried to use Samsung Pay and it failed. Twice. Ugh

I use Package disabler but unchecked everything I THOUGHT it might be interfering. But not sure.

zero157h7

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure how to answer that question. Android Pay definitely has to have NFC. If you turned it off the logo would go away but it would not work.

Samsung Pay uses NFC for terminals that have that technology but it also uses a different type of technology to mimic a credit card swipe (I can't remember the acronym) on terminals that do not support NFC payments. So, I don't know if NFC has to be on for those type of payments to work or not and I don't know of any quick toggle for that that is separate from NFC.

One other thing to note, if you are using that type of payment it has to be on a machine that lets you swipe the card. If it's one where you put the whole card in then it won't work.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Are sure about this? I thought Samsung pay never used NFC and only uses the other technology.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
So I turned off NFC and I'll check tomorrow and see if that works.

The machine I attempted at and failed is the swipe machine not insert. The guy told me it was reading it but saying "not a credit card" so it read it. Failed. It's an AMEX an when I set up it it said it was all set and I got an email from AMEX also telling me it was all set

Not sure if there's something I deactivated with package disabler or not. I went back through and cannot figure it out. Doesn't appear to be anything but what do I know.

The terminal I tried at was linked to an ipad as I had to use my finger to sign so while it did have swipe reader maybe that was reason. Who knows

spasell

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
NFC does not have to be turned on for SP to work. I keep it turned off and have had no issues using SP.

I'm just hoping my failed attempt was due to error on merchant side. Like I said the guy showed me the response from terminal that said "not a credit card" when clearly I was trying to use my AMEX since Chace hasn't gotten in yet.

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
It depends on what type of payment you are trying to do. For touch payments you do need nfc on. I think mst can work without nfc.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Heh. He's right. NFC does turn on and off automatically when you use SP. Interesting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol