10-26-2015 08:50 AM
31 12
tools
    I've been reading a lot of news about the Nexus 6p and why it is going to overtake the Note 5 as the best Android phone money can buy. Some say the camera and screen are just as good as the Note 5's, larger battery, and is a less expensive option. It also has front facing stereo speakers and offers a pure Android experience. The Note separates itself by having the S Pen, wireless charging, multi-window, and a better choice of accessories. What do you all think about the biggest Android competition to the Note 5?

Posted via the Android Central App
    geekaren likes this.
    10-20-2015 09:25 PM
    I've been reading a lot of news about the Nexus 6p and why it is going to overtake the Note 5 as the best Android phone money can buy. Some say the camera and screen are just as good as the Note 5's, larger battery, and is a less expensive option. It also has front facing stereo speakers and offers a pure Android experience. The Note separates itself by having the S Pen, wireless charging, multi-window, and a better choice of accessories. What do you all think about the biggest Android competition to the Note 5?

If Google partnered with the carriers to do EIP's, a lot more people would purchase Nexus devices.

I always find myself missing some of the TouchWiz features when using vanilla Android. But I would be willing to try another Nexus on the Tmobile JUMP plan.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    geekaren likes this.
    10-20-2015 09:29 PM

I think the Nexus 6P is competition to the Note 5 only in the minds of people who frequent sites like this, and NOT the average consumer. I think the average consumer is far more likely to go for a Samsung or LG phone over a Nexus phone. It's all in the marketing. Yes Google did a few ads for the new line. But no where near on the scale of Samsung. It's so bad that to some consumers, Samsung = Android. Lots of people think Touchwiz is actually Android and have no clue about "stock." So no, I don't think the 6P is a large scale competitor to the Note 5, or any other Samsung phone for that matter.
    10-20-2015 10:31 PM
    When going from the Note series to the Nexus line, you lose a lot of features. Sure, you get a pure Google experience and quick updates, but that doesn't really mean much to me anymore. I have always bought the new Nexus. Have had everyone except the first one. And every time I switch to the Nexus which is usually from the Note, I regret it. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I believe Samsung's software and this year's hardware is superior to that of the Nexus devices this year. I felt the same last year as well.

Note in my house!
    Mdbills484, katielee23 and sag7392 like this.
    10-21-2015 04:17 AM
    The only place you'll see people claiming the 6P is better than the Note 5 are websites such as this that are frequented by Android enthusiasts. They place stock Android and fast updates at the top of their must have list, often at the cost of inferior hardware, which they will defend to the death. You'll also be able to pick out these people as the ones who bash touchwiz as if it killed their first born or something. Problem is, they can't put their Nexus 4 down long enough to pick up a Note 5 and realize their touchwiz comments are just like their Nexus 4-old, tired, and uninspired.

Sure, the 6P looks OK on paper, but I'm confident saying the camera will not be as good, nor will the screen. Also, have you seen that thing? My God is it ugly. But it's a Nexus and all the stock Android fans are going to claim it's the best phone ever, and compared to what they're using it probably is.

Head to head with the Note 5? No contest. The features of the Note 5, combined with the SPen, are superior to any stock Android offering.
    10-21-2015 06:06 AM
    I honestly don't understand the comparison. To me, stock android is boring and bland. If I wanted a vanilla, no fills operating system because of quick updates, I would buy Apple. But I love having options and features. The Note 5 is the most feature rich phone available today. I would take the Note or a G4 from LG over Nexus vanilla all day.
    geekaren, Premium1, kj11 and 1 others like this.
    10-21-2015 07:17 AM
    I have owned Nexus phones, heck, I've owned a lot of different brands.
    I'll wait and see how the N6P shakes out. The device as it stands does not intrigue me beyond the fact we have a new Nexus player.
    I'll stick with my Note 5. While I am not much of a TW fan, the N5 has proven to be a work-horse.
    10-21-2015 08:03 AM
    I personally like many Samsung additions. The ones I don't like I can disable with package disabler.

I don't like the rear fps on the 6p. harder to use for me as I use it on my desk frequently.

As for updates, Sure the nexus will get it quicker... But I would rather not get it quicker as there are sometimes bugs.

The only thing I like about updates is security patches and the nexus will have the leg up on this for sure, but honestly Samsung is getting much better at pushing out security patches.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    geekaren, kj11 and Rom Hak like this.
    10-21-2015 09:22 AM
    Well I would have loved to try the 6P. I was actually planning on getting it until they said it wasn't coming to carriers. As a result I got the note 5 instead. Personally I understand why a lot of people complain about touchwiz, I've had the two previous notes as well and the previous versions of touchwiz were often bad in my experience (buggy and slow). While this generation is vastly superior to the old versions it takes a while for people who have had bad experiences with something before to give a new version a fair chance. Just think about cars if you have a bad experience with a brand you don't go back to that brand for several years if at all. With this version of touchwiz we only talking about it being good for a matter of months. I do think the 6P could have been real competition for the note if it was sold at carriers especially on price but since its sold only through Google there is very little chance that it can actually compete on sales. While the way to purchase a phone is slowly changing there isn't really much chance yet that a phone that sells direct to consumers is going to be able to match the numbers of a phone you can get with purchase plans at carriers.
    10-21-2015 09:23 AM
    The only way this phone will compete is if it's available from major carriers. If I can't use it on Verizon and get a payment plan, I can use it.

10-21-2015 10:28 AM
    The only way this phone will compete is if it's available from major carriers. If I can't use it on Verizon and get a payment plan, I can use it.

I agree with this. What happens is when the carriers don't carry the phone, consumers who don't know much about smartphones have no knowledge of it. They can't play around with it first. There is no one to set the phone up for them. No accessories readily available at the store. And if you want to return the device it's a hassle. These thingsmake it hard for a device not sold in carrier stores unable to compete.

Note in my house!
    10-21-2015 02:24 PM
    I have owned Nexus phones, heck, I've owned a lot of different brands.
    I'll wait and see how the N6P shakes out. The device as it stands does not intrigue me beyond the fact we have a new Nexus player.
    I'll stick with my Note 5. While I am not much of a TW fan, the N5 has proven to be a work-horse.
    I'm not much of a TW fan either, that's why I use Nova Prime. I've only had one issue with my Note 5, the screen would freeze so I did a factory reset and haven't had an issue since. It really has been a work horse.

10-21-2015 02:26 PM
    If Google partnered with the carriers to do EIP's, a lot more people would purchase Nexus devices.

I always find myself missing some of the TouchWiz features when using vanilla Android. But I would be willing to try another Nexus on the Tmobile JUMP plan.

The Jump on Demand plan is awesome isn't it? But I'm holding on to my Note 5 for a while.

10-21-2015 02:27 PM
    The Jump on Demand plan is awesome isn't it? But I'm holding on to my Note 5 for a while.

I wouldn't know, I have JUMP 1. But yes, it is great.

10-21-2015 02:47 PM
    I respect everyone's opinion and phone choices but now that you are asking for our thoughts I will tell you mine.

Some critic TouchWiz and call it ugly, to me Pure Vainilla Android besides being flat, plain and ugly is as bored as an iPhone, only UI as close as the Nexus that I can tolerate is Motorola at some degree and latest Sony Xperia UI.

In addition to that Google has lost the focus on what should be the price for their phones, I simply can't imagine how to pay at least $500 plus taxes for a device as ugly as this one that still have a lot to prove Vs paying around $600 for a brand new Note 5 (check Swappa, I just bought another one for my daughter in mint condition, like new, with a tempered glass and a tech 21 case plus all original accessories still wrapped for $540) with a proven excellent and maybe best camera and display on the market plus all the great Samsung exclusive features such as SPen, SNote and others. I simply can't even imagine about it.

You wanted my thoughts and humble and honest opinion so there you have them.
    kj11 likes this.
    10-21-2015 03:49 PM
    i was tempted to buy the 6P but vzw is an issue for me and its ugly as sin. cant do it...
    10-21-2015 08:56 PM
    i was tempted to buy the 6P but vzw is an issue for me and its ugly as sin. cant do it...
    It really looks much better in the initial videos, early reviews, etc.
    The reviewers are raving about the looks and build quality...
    It's all opinion though....

10-21-2015 10:45 PM
    When I left Apple I left strictly for the Note series. I've had N3, N4, and N5. Take the Note series away and would likely just go back to Apple. The Note series is King and I have never desired or been compelled to go vanilla android and lose these features.

10-21-2015 10:56 PM
    It really looks much better in the initial videos, early reviews, etc.
    The reviewers are raving about the looks and build quality...
    It's all opinion though....

Of course they are! This is a perfect example of what I mentioned earlier! This is a typical move for the stock Android enthusiast; they are so used to putting up with inferior hardware it only comes natural to defend their precious Nexus at all costs.

Honestly. Look at that thing. I haven't seen a camera hump that big since my Motorola droid X. I agree it's all opinion, sure, but any normal person is going to look at that thing and say it's hideous. Not your stock Android enthusiast. They'll throw around phrases like "it looks better in person," and "the hump isn't that bad," or my person favorite, "I actually really like the (whatever they come up with)."

Again, all opinion, and I'd never say anyone's opinion is wrong, but if you're telling me you don't think it's ugly, you're wrong. Ha.
    kirksucks likes this.
    10-22-2015 01:13 AM
    Well they are a legit comparison for me. I am looking at both. And as the OP said, price is a main concern for me. Samsung hasn't become as big as they are for no reason. The Nexus is still not a well recognized name and is little competition for the Note out in the General Public land. In here, sure it is a valid comparison.

I could make this a really long post by saying everything that is on my list for comparing both devices. But it really boils down to a couple things as they both have plus and minus. If I was going strictly on quality, it would Samsung. Give it 8 months and lets see how both devices are holding up. Samsungs will be cranking along two years from now and this chinese Nexus, I would bet they will start to have noticeable problems in 8 months and give it a year before many start seriously falling apart. But for me, I will be replacing it long before that and I accept it if I get a Nexus at a cheaper price. But for most this won't be acceptable and I agree.

For me, they are about the same size. Both have metal builds. Both have about the same screen. I would choose the Nexus. I prefer it unlocked and I prefer stock android. I could find a Note unlocked (ebay) and I could do a custom rom. I like the build quality and design better on the Note, I like the camera better on the Note. But I can't get Project Fi on the Note, which I really really want. Then when price comes into the picture, the Note just loses out in my situation. In short, I would absolutely love to have a Note 5 hands down, but it won't fit my situation.

But I am the 1% of the buyers that Google aimed at with the Nexus and they know it. The other 99% are going to buy a Note and they should. Hopefully Samsung joins HTC in releasing better unlocked devices near stock Android. The world is going in that direction and it is only a matter of time, a LONG time if carriers have their way.

So yeah, I am THAT guy. Project Fi, Unlocked, Near Stock Android, and Cheap "er". But I do recognize that the Samsung Note is a much better phone and if I could get it to fit my situation and my budget, I would do it.
    10-22-2015 01:01 PM
    Well they are a legit comparison for me. I am looking at both. And as the OP said, price is a main concern for me. Samsung hasn't become as big as they are for no reason. The Nexus is still not a well recognized name and is little competition for the Note out in the General Public land. In here, sure it is a valid comparison.

I could make this a really long post by saying everything that is on my list for comparing both devices. But it really boils down to a couple things as they both have plus and minus. If I was going strictly on quality, it would Samsung. Give it 8 months and lets see how both devices are holding up. Samsungs will be cranking along two years from now and this chinese Nexus, I would bet they will start to have noticeable problems in 8 months and give it a year before many start seriously falling apart. But for me, I will be replacing it long before that and I accept it if I get a Nexus at a cheaper price. But for most this won't be acceptable and I agree.

For me, they are about the same size. Both have metal builds. Both have about the same screen. I would choose the Nexus. I prefer it unlocked and I prefer stock android. I could find a Note unlocked (ebay) and I could do a custom rom. I like the build quality and design better on the Note, I like the camera better on the Note. But I can't get Project Fi on the Note, which I really really want. Then when price comes into the picture, the Note just loses out in my situation. In short, I would absolutely love to have a Note 5 hands down, but it won't fit my situation.

But I am the 1% of the buyers that Google aimed at with the Nexus and they know it. The other 99% are going to buy a Note and they should. Hopefully Samsung joins HTC in releasing better unlocked devices near stock Android. The world is going in that direction and it is only a matter of time, a LONG time if carriers have their way.

So yeah, I am THAT guy. Project Fi, Unlocked, Near Stock Android, and Cheap "er". But I do recognize that the Samsung Note is a much better phone and if I could get it to fit my situation and my budget, I would do it.
    If your ultimate goal is project fi, stock, unlocked, cheap, why not just get a Nexus 6 for $300? Sounds like you're gonna ditch it in less than a year anyway....
    10-22-2015 04:49 PM
    Head to head with the Note 5? No contest. The features of the Note 5, combined with the SPen, are superior to any stock Android offering.
    I can see where the features of the Note 5 would be nice for some people. But I know a lot of people, and not one of them has a desire to get the N5. Believe it or not, stock android is more than enough for most people. Most people call, text, facebook, youtube, play games, and look up stuff. I think most of the people that want a N5 want one because they're constantly being told by the media that they NEED one. I can assure you that no one will shrivel and die because they don't have a Note 5.

You might not be old enough to remember a time before cell phones, but people's lives' actually went pretty smoothly without having a screen in your face all day long. I would argue that life was (in a sense) actually better before cell phones became ubiquitous. There was definitely more face to face communication, and people had better real life social skills. Now a lot of that is lost. Only you can make your life better, not your phone.

Anyway, if you like the N5 better, that's fine. You said head to head is no contest. It's just a matter of opinion. Use what you like and move on.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    10-22-2015 05:58 PM
    I can see where the features of the Note 5 would be nice for some people. But I know a lot of people, and not one of them has a desire to get the N5. Believe it or not, stock android is more than enough for most people. Most people call, text, facebook, youtube, play games, and look up stuff. I think most of the people that want a N5 want one because they're constantly being told by the media that they NEED one. I can assure you that no one will shrivel and die because they don't have a Note 5.

You might not be old enough to remember a time before cell phones, but people's lives' actually went pretty smoothly without having a screen in your face all day long. I would argue that life was (in a sense) actually better before cell phones became ubiquitous. There's was definitely more face to face communication, and people had better real life social skills. Now a lot of that is lost. Only you can make your life better, not your phone.

Anyway, if you like the N5 better, that's fine. You said head to head is no contest. It's just a matter of opinion. Use what you like and move on.
    You're off on a bit of a tangent here, and I think your real beef is with the marketing of smartphones in general, so in an effort to get this back on track... The reason iPhones are so successful is because that same lot of people just use an iPhone because, same thing, it texts, calls and Facebook's.

The Note 5 has always catered to a different crowd because of the features. It can do all those menial tasks just like the simple Nexus devices and iPhones, but it also does more. Some people want that, many more don't. I stand by my comment, head to head the 6P can't do half of what the Note 5 can. I personally don't think a lot of people are cross shopping these two devices.
    bplink95 likes this.
    10-22-2015 07:06 PM
    You're off on a bit of a tangent here
    Perhaps, but I like to bring a different perspective to the forums than the same old posts.
    I personally don't think a lot of people are cross shopping these two devices.
    That, I can agree with. We should all just use what we like.

But I still think people obsess over this stuff way too much, and argue for no good reason.
    ajb1965, plumcrazy and kj11 like this.
    10-22-2015 08:19 PM
    I didn't like my galaxy nexus until Sorcery ROM came out. It had nice features such as themes on the fly, kill app button, hidden navigation buttons, etc.
    To me, that's the real beauty of a nexus, ROMs.

However, when I switched from the Nexus to the Note 2, S-Note with the s-pen and multi window were actually useful software features. Even with Sorcery ROM the nexus didn't have as many useful features, they were more like toys.

Now, give me a nexus with multi window (yes I now aosp ROMs have that now), and add something comparable to s-note and the s-pen, and it will definitely have my attention.
    10-22-2015 08:39 PM
31 12