How do I use Verizon Note 5 with unlimited data to do USB tether of internet with Macbook Pro? Thanks!
    10-21-2015 08:21 PM
    Tethering on Verizon may be a violation of your term of service. That being said there are several apps available to do that. Foxfi, clockworkmod tether, and easy tether are a few. These have free and paid versions.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-21-2015 08:32 PM
    It's only a violation of terms of service for unlimited data. :-)

There was of course that big FCC hullabaloo, and that was how it came down: the FCC said that Verizon had to allow tethering on its devices (which they had previously not allowed), but ruled that in fact Verizon was allowed to continue blocking tethering with unlimited data.

The idea being that a virtually unlimited number of tethered users could suck down a virtually unlimited amount of data, and that Verizon needed a way to have some control of it. The Commission quite naturally, agreed.

That's not to say that there's not some root work around, and I have certainly had good luck with foxfi on a metered data plan, so who knows? It might work for unlimited data too. But don't be surprised if it doesn't.

10-21-2015 09:24 PM
    It's only a violation of terms of service for unlimited data. :-)
    It isn't for those who add the $30 hotspot feature.
    10-21-2015 09:32 PM
    It is a violation of the TOS on unlimited data plans unless you pay the monthly tethering fee.

I have used both foxfi and clockwork mod for times where I needed to use my laptop and my phone was the only option for access. Clockwork mod uses USB and requires a program for either a PC or Mac. Foxfi sets up a hotspot. Both worked very well. Try the free versions first to see what works best for you before buying.

10-21-2015 11:39 PM
    How do I use Verizon Note 5 with unlimited data to do USB tether of internet with Macbook Pro? Thanks!
    Add the unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE hotspot feature, then just swipe down on the notification bar to toggle on the hotspot.

How do I use Verizon Note 5 with unlimited data to do USB tether of internet with Macbook Pro?-uploadfromtaptalk1445522148799.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    10-22-2015 08:56 AM
    I have unlimited AT&T data plan. Will I get booted if I tether? I'm not looking to watch media or anything like that. I just want to access documents on the cloud, if it even matters.
    10-22-2015 09:11 AM
    I have unlimited AT&T data plan. Will I get booted if I tether? I'm not looking to watch media or anything like that. I just want to access documents on the cloud, if it even matters.
    My understanding is that att doesn't allow tethering on it's unlimited data plan.

10-22-2015 10:49 AM
    My understanding is that att doesn't allow tethering on it's unlimited data plan.

does Verizon specifically say unlimited data customers CANNOT use FoxFi to tether, unless they are paying the $30 hotspot fee? are there any reports from people who have been told by Verizon not to do it?
    10-22-2015 11:02 AM
    As I said, unlimited plans on Verizon and some other carriers, do not allow tethering or limit it like Tmobile. The applications I referred to will allow you to tether. This defeats your carrier restriction and you are at risk of losing your unlimited plan or being dropped altogether. I myself have used them when there was no other alternative. And then only for as little time as I needed.
    I am not advocating their use. They are a tool that I have and will use in a last ditch effort.
    If you want to be safe than you can sign up for tethering on an as needed basis. So if you know that you will need for a week in November than add it and when done drop it. Most you would pay is one month of service.

If you use the carrier plan you don't need any additional software. You only need to activate it on your phone.

10-22-2015 11:09 AM
    If you want to be safe than you can sign up for tethering on an as needed basis. So if you know that you will need for a week in November than add it and when done drop it. Most you would pay is one month of service.
    I meant to mention that in my post above. The Verizon $30/month plan works fine for tethering with unlimited data. And my experience with foxfi is very positive. Using it to avoid paying $30/mo on a metered data plan is 100% okay.If someone is trying to get around the $30 on an unlimited plan, I just wanted to underscore, THIS, which is very much worth underscoring:

you are at risk of losing your unlimited plan or being dropped altogether.
    10-22-2015 11:51 AM
    does Verizon specifically say unlimited data customers CANNOT use FoxFi to tether, unless they are paying the $30 hotspot fee? are there any reports from people who have been told by Verizon not to do it?
    Verizon cannot block the usage of foxfi or other tethering apps as part of the open apps requirements of the 700MHz upper block c auction. However, they can do whatever they want otherwise (like on the server side) to block unauthorized hotspot usage.

Also they can push an OTA that would block unauthorized hotspot usage, which would be legal so long as they let you install any app you want.

So sure, you can use it but it would be a cat and mouse game. It works today, but it might not work tomorrow. Personally I prefer the stability of knowing it just works all the time.

There are vague clauses in the customer agreement :

"*if you, any user of your device or any line of service on your account, or any account manager on your account: (a) threaten, harass, or use vulgar and/or inappropriate language toward our representatives; (b) interfere with our operations; (c) "spam," or engage in other abusive messaging or calling; (d) modify your device from its manufacturer's specifications; or (e) use your Service in a way that negatively affects our network or other customers. "

10-22-2015 12:36 PM
    dpham00:
    I fully agree with you. I have used Foxfi on very rare occasions where I needed to get to my Corporate email on my Corporate laptop. I had no other connection capabilities and was only online for a minute or two. If I know I will be in an area for an extended amount of time, where I will not have wifi connections but do have Verizon Wireless connection, I activate Hotspot and pay for the connection. I do believe that given the upcoming increase in unlimited plans to $49.99/mo should justify a reduction in the Hotspot cost, like maybe $20/mo instead of $30. Just my opinion. I would pay $10 - 20 per month and just leave the capability there all the time so I don't have to worry about it. Or maybe do like T-Mobile except charge Unlimited users say $10/mo for up to 5-7GB of hotspot connections per mo. This would be great for the occasional user.
    10-22-2015 01:07 PM
    For now Verizon allows activation just on the days of usage...

10-22-2015 03:22 PM
    Well as far as tethering.. I use my phone for Internet connection. I turn on the hotspot and connect my computer and other. WiFi devices to my WiFi my hotspot sets up.
    10-23-2015 03:49 AM
    Verizon cannot block the usage of foxfi or other tethering apps as part of the open apps requirements of the 700MHz upper block c auction.
    The rules specifically *allow* Verizon to block tethering apps for *unlimited* data plans.

It is *only* for metered plans that Verizon has to allow third party tethering apps.

The thread is about unlimited data, and the FCC rule is very clear about this. Want to keep your unlimited data? Pay Verizon for tethering. Want free tethering? Drop unlimited.

Again, the FCC *allowing* Verizon to *block" free tethering for *unlimited* data plans is *explicitly part of the Block 6 agreement*. Look it up. Links abound.

I may have missed the part where the FCC changed the rule, but I just now looked it up, and that does not appear to be the case. I'd sure love to see a link to anything saying that the rule has changed.

10-23-2015 04:39 AM
    The rules specifically *allow* Verizon to block tethering apps for *unlimited* data plans.

It is *only* for metered plans that Verizon has to allow third party tethering apps.

The thread is about unlimited data, and the FCC rule is very clear about this. Want to keep your unlimited data? Pay Verizon for tethering. Want free tethering? Drop unlimited.

Again, the FCC *allowing* Verizon to *block" free tethering for *unlimited* data plans is *explicitly part of the Block 6 agreement*. Look it up. Links abound.

I may have missed the part where the FCC changed the rule, but I just now looked it up, and that does not appear to be the case. I'd sure love to see a link to anything saying that the rule has changed.

Just get a Nexus 6. No need to use FoxFi or any other app. Just use the Nexus 6 and the default hotspot.

Or... use VPN... which renders hotspotting undetectable. (more accurately, it will be indistinguishable from traffic coming from the Note 5) Just look it up in XDA or Flyertalk forums
    10-23-2015 08:46 AM
    "As I said, unlimited plans on Verizon and some other carriers, do not allow tethering or limit it like Tmobile."
    I didnt know Verizon still did unlimited data plans, thought they said it wasn't a realistic offering anymore. Or are you referring to carried over customers from the time when Verizon had unlimited data and they allowed them to retain the unlimited plan?

If there's a way to get unlimited data legally without violating my verizon ToC's, Please let me know!
    10-23-2015 09:16 AM
    I didnt know Verizon still did unlimited data plans, thought they said it wasn't a realistic offering anymore. Or are you referring to carried over customers from the time when Verizon had unlimited data and they allowed them to retain the unlimited plan?

If there's a way to get unlimited data legally without violating my verizon ToC's, Please let me know!
    you can buy it from an existing unlimited data customer... price varies.... I've seen people selling it for as much as $670
    siciliansoccer55 likes this.
    10-23-2015 09:30 AM
    Oh ok, yikes - extortion is expensive haha.
    Also Kiwi, I tried PM'ing you but it won't let me, I have a long question about VPN/tethering that you seem to know a lot about. Do you mind PM'ing me an email address I can send it to.
    I'd greatly appreciate it. (I'd post it here, but too long and not related to this specific thread enough)
    10-23-2015 09:37 AM
    FoxFi is the way to go. I've been using the Wi-Fi part of it for years with my grandfathered unlimited data starting with my Note 2 and now Note 4 and Verizon has never said a thing to me about it (never heard or seen any reports of anyone getting in trouble for using it either). Technically it is a violation of the terms of service of a grandfathered unlimited data plan, so proceed at your own risk or go with the aforementioned $30 add-on hotspot option. Personally I'm ok with using FoxFi as I already gave Verizon extra money in paying full retail for the Note 2 and Note 4 (to keep grandfathered unlimited data) and will be paying another $20/month now since they're upping the fee for it (if you're out of contract).
    10-23-2015 12:35 PM

I don't understand it that way. I just re read the fcc release

https://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon...-investigation

From what I got out of it, Verizon cannot block tethering apps, and cannot charge tiered data users for tethering, but can require unlimited data users to pay for tethering. I didn't see where it said that Verizon can block unlimited data users from using tethering apps. Please provide a fcc link showing this.

I couldn't find anything with regards to the "block 6" agreement. Please provide a link to this.
    10-23-2015 01:19 PM
    12-15-2015 02:39 AM