Whatsapp / Photo Gallery

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Good morning,

I have recently joined a class with an international diverse group of individuals. They love whatsapp for social conversation. I'm just now learning it. Several of them post photos, which is great, but they are downloading to my image gallery and then uploading to Google Photos. Personally, I don't want their baby and vacation photos mingled with my photos.

I'm new to the Android platform. Is it possible to enjoy their photos in WhatsApp without them polluting my image gallery? There can be 30+ photos in a 24 hour period. I don't want to create a manual process of cleaning up my gallery and Google photos every day.

I have changed some settings already.

In Whatsapp > Settings > Chats and calls, I have deselected Media auto-download for all options. (Now, I don't see any photos. The photos don't display in my whatsapp chat. If I click on the image to download it, the image saves to the gallery)

I can't find "settings" in the Image Gallery app. If there is a way to change the Gallery settings I can't find them.

Thanks!
Natalie

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think there's an easy way to make that automatically. You could try something like this. Open that group chat, tap on the three dots top right, tap on "group media", long press on one picture and then single tap if you want to select more, tap on the trash bin icon to delete. Make sure to check the "delete media from phone" box.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure about the Gallery, but you can stop Photos from backing up WhatsApp photos from the the settings of the Photos app.

Attachments

• 1454.jpg
    1454.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 1455.jpg
    1455.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 47

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure about the Gallery, but you can stop Photos from backing up WhatsApp photos from the the settings of the Photos app.

Thank you! Question,

In my folders to back up selection area, I have:

download
Facebook
WhatsApp Images.

What (app) does 0 and download represent?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! Question,

download
Facebook
WhatsApp Images.

Not sure about "0". But there is a Download folder that 1 or more apps use when you download pics (wallpaper or any pic). Apps use their own folders too, but sometimes it gets saved in Downloads. If you don't know what "0" is then probably turn it off I would think ..

Good luck.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Question,

download
Facebook
WhatsApp Images.

0 Should be your main directory (root folder) so basically all DCIM, pictures and other folders gets there.

Just follow the suggestions above to stop backing up those photos to Google's cloud, but if you want to get rid of the pictures completely after seeing them, YOU MUST delete them individually or by group (manually selected) and then delete them and be sure to check the Delete from phone option.

If you have some WhatsApp pictures that want to save but don't want to be showing on the Gallery app (private reasons) you can simply create a blank file on WhatsApp Media folder called .nomedia, whenever the device see a .nomedia file it won't read any of those files on that folder or sub folders for media purposes.

NatalieB2015

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you erasat. I googled and learned about the .nomedia file. It was more than I wanted to do. Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get techie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel