It seems odd to me that when my screen is dark, and someone sends me a text, it'll pop up and I can see it.

That's if I use the Samsung SMS app. But if I use Google Hangouts instead and merge my SMS it doesn't show up. I hear it. I can't quick glance at it.

Unless I'm missing something? It's active in notifications but on Lock screen doesn't seem to work.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-22-2015 03:15 PM
    It's a 'feature' of the stock messaging app. Annoying for some (myself included, and actually the reason I don't use the stock messaging app) but useful for others.

Most 3rd party apps I've tested don't have this behavior.
    10-22-2015 03:41 PM
    It's a 'feature' of the stock messaging app. Annoying for some (myself included, and actually the reason I don't use the stock messaging app) but useful for others.

You can disable it...
    Shuckster likes this.
    10-22-2015 08:05 PM
    I didn't know that the native app did that, I've been using Handcent for that very feature. I might give it a try.

10-22-2015 10:11 PM

I prefer to see what my SMS is when screen is locked. Then I can decide if I want to open it or not.

Hangouts doesn't show the message on the lock screen or when phone is sleeping. I want that feature. It was automatic on my iPhone 6+ and I find it convenient.

It's the only reason i dont use hangouts as my default SMS app

10-24-2015 01:26 PM
    That turns off pop up and preview, but no matter what state those switches are in, the screen will always light up when you get a text if you're using the stock messaging app. At least that what I thought the OP was trying to replicate, not the Pop-up feature per se.
    10-26-2015 11:50 AM