Couple questions about getting the Verizon Note 5

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Right now I am still using an old Note 2 and it still gets the job done just fine. I don't mind keeping it, yeah it's getting boring and old, but just like the wife that's no good enough reason to replace her.

Unfortunately Verizon is being jerks about us grandfathered unlimited data people and raising the cost by $20, per plan. For my girl and I, this is a $40 bill hike. Realistically, it's not worth that much to us since we don't even go over 8GB anyway and that's without using WiFi and generally trying to be good about data. This rate increase is making us seriously consider abandoning unlimited data plans if only for the sake of upgrading our phones finally. And of course loving the Note 2 like we do, the Note 5 was the first likely choice.

What I'd like to know is, is the Verizon version of the Note 5 any different from the International version besides radio/SIM components? I mean does it have a weaker processor/GPU and missing software features? I already know it cannot be rooted, which really bites since both our current Note 2s are fully unlocked and rooted running custom bloat-free ROMs.

Also, does anyone feel they're missing anything with this device? Meaning, are you having any doubts about your device and wish you had purchased something else? I used to be very quick to jump to a new device without doing significant research into various other devices, and I feel that's bit me in the buttocks on a few occasions and I'd like to avoid that as best as possible. To me, there is no better research than hearing direct from end users who are currently on the device in question.

Thanks for any advice and details you can offer.

TLDR version: is the Verizon Note 5 weaker/missing features. Do you regret buying the phone wishing you had another device? If so, why?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Same processor and gpu. There are probably some minor features removed like cheetah mobile software (which is boat, imo), and Verizon did add some of its bloat. But overall all the core features are there. You can disable any package via package disabler, even Knox packages if you have the old version, without root

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Love the phone. Would be great if it had an SD card slot. Other than that, kinda regretted getting the 32gb ibstead of the 64gb model. But I'm a happy camper overall.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Good replies, thanks guys.

One last question I forgot to put in the OP. I see that the phone no longer has an accessible battery or SD Card. How do you deal with a hard lock? Right now, when my Note 2 completely freezes, I have to pull the battery for it to finally shut off and reboot. What happens in this scenario with the Note 5?

Allenhardiman

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
This phone is lag free for me.. I havent had any hiccups whatsoever. Samsung has really gone far with its software in both the s6 and the note 5. You dont need to worry about it.. The battery life is pretty good too

Posted via the Android Central App

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm running a Note 5 on Verizon also, and if it's missing any features it's nothing I've noticed. Samsung pay took awhile to get here, big deal for some, however I don't, and probably won't ever use it as my local credit union handles my banking needs.

No regrets here whatsoever. I previously had a Note 3, then a LG G3. when I went to the G3 I missed the SPen, but the rest of the experience was great. I didn't really need to upgrade my phone at all, but I loved the look and feel of the Note 5. With the inclusion of the theme store you can change the appearance of many aspects of the interface, which is a nice, welcome change from Samsung.

As far as yanking the battery out... That's a good question and a problem I have not yet encountered. Makes me think back to my BlackBerry curve days when I had to do a battery pull daily... Then that thing took a good 5 minutes to get back up and running. Ha. Brutal. Sorry.... I imagine holding the power button and some other button, home perhaps (I think that's how you accomplish this on an iPhone) would force the phone to reset just the same as pulling the battery.

Cliff notes version, you should 100% upgrade, you'll have no regrets.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I can relate. I had an S3 when the N1 came out (don't think it was available on Verizon if I recall correctly ). So started out with the Note 2 and both were rooted/boot loader unlocked and running CleanROM. Definitely have good memories about that.

Moved on to the N3, and N4 (with some dual iPhone use along the way). Now with the Verizon N5 (had it one week), agree with everyone above about no regrets. I also remember the BB battery pull and five minute bootup "routine" that kj11 mentions. Let's hope we don't run into that with the N5 :)

As for unlimited data, think we moved away from that a few years ago. While at work I don't stream music or videos, so data usage is rather limited. We have the 10GB shared plan, and have 10GB promotional data that came with an LG G Pad 8.3 that was essentially "free" up front when my wife updated to the N4 from N3. Our oldest kid takes advantage of WiFi on campus, and is a comparatively heavy data user. Even so, we rarely go near 10GB a month.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Good replies, thanks guys.

One last question I forgot to put in the OP. I see that the phone no longer has an accessible battery or SD Card. How do you deal with a hard lock? Right now, when my Note 2 completely freezes, I have to pull the battery for it to finally shut off and reboot. What happens in this scenario with the Note 5?

You hold the home button and power down.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
A far as your unlimited plan, if you are not using more than 8 GB/month than how important is it. Under old plans the monthly connection fee/line is $40 and under the new limited share plans the monthly connection fee/line is $20. In addition, the new limited plans are very competitively priced. Seems to me that you would get the same level of service at a lower price.
Your installed OS and software are going to use 10 to 12 GB of of the phone's total so you may wish to pay a few dollars more and get the 64 GB model and have about 50 to 52 GB free out of the box. I find my Note 5 to be the best phone I have ever used bar none.

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Right now I am still using an old Note 2 and it still gets the job done just fine. I don't mind keeping it, yeah it's getting boring and old, but just like the wife that's no good enough reason to replace her.

Unfortunately Verizon is being jerks about us grandfathered unlimited data people and raising the cost by $20, per plan. For my girl and I, this is a $40 bill hike. Realistically, it's not worth that much to us since we don't even go over 8GB anyway and that's without using WiFi and generally trying to be good about data. This rate increase is making us seriously consider abandoning unlimited data plans if only for the sake of upgrading our phones finally. And of course loving the Note 2 like we do, the Note 5 was the first likely choice.

What I'd like to know is, is the Verizon version of the Note 5 any different from the International version besides radio/SIM components? I mean does it have a weaker processor/GPU and missing software features? I already know it cannot be rooted, which really bites since both our current Note 2s are fully unlocked and rooted running custom bloat-free ROMs.

Also, does anyone feel they're missing anything with this device? Meaning, are you having any doubts about your device and wish you had purchased something else? I used to be very quick to jump to a new device without doing significant research into various other devices, and I feel that's bit me in the buttocks on a few occasions and I'd like to avoid that as best as possible. To me, there is no better research than hearing direct from end users who are currently on the device in question.

Thanks for any advice and details you can offer.

TLDR version: is the Verizon Note 5 weaker/missing features. Do you regret buying the phone wishing you had another device? If so, why?

International note 5 wont and cant use samsung pay. Samsung Pay can only be use on carrier phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The International ones using Samsung Pay will be dependent on when Samsung Pay is released in their area. Right now it is only used in Korea and the USA. So you would need a Korean variant if you didn't want a carrier variant here. Eventually it will be released all over but no one knows the time frame, so an international phoneis dependent on the country where the phone is from, having Samsung Pay.