Note 5 update has locked me out. Verizon, samsung and Google no help at all

Aweshh

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
A recent update to my Verizon Note 5 was pushed to my phone on Thursday, October 22. After the update the phone restarted and came to the setup wizard page. After I selected English, it asks me for my Google account information. I enter my email and password and I get the following message. "please sign in using one of the owner's accounts for this device". I have entered every and any combination of Google accounts and passwords that have been used on this phone since day 1. Nothing is working. Google said it's a Samsung security feature, samsung is saying it's Google. I have waited over 72 hours as I found related incidents from other users but I am still locked out of the my phone. I bought this phone brand new so there were no other users. Someone please help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Something must have gone wrong, because a system update should not make the phone do a factory reset (which is what seems to have happened, since the Setup Wizard showed up again).

If a Samsung phone is factory reset without the owner removing their Google account beforehand, that's considered an "unauthorized" factory reset, which requires that same Google account's credentials to be entered again after the reset. I'm not sure what the best approach will be at this point. Since the problem seemed to start with the Verizon update, I would go back to them and point out that their update caused the phone to inappropriately do a factory reset, and then present you with this problem. Since it was an update pushed by Verizon that seemed to cause this, it should be their responsibility to correct the issue. If you talk to Samsung or Google, they might end up just being suspicious of you, since you're encountering an issue that comes up with an unauthorized reset. So the added advantage of going to Verizon is that they should know you and have records of the phones that you've purchased from them. Good luck!

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
This worked for someone else on this site. Give it a try: " Managed to get it working this afternoon by adding a Gmail address to my Google account and logging in using that rather than my original e-mail address." Good luck!

Aweshh

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I tried using an alternate Google account but that didn't work. Verizon customer support didn't have a solutions, Samsung customer service said to take it to a Best Buy Samsung center. The Samsung rep said he's experienced this before and worked on it for multiple hours to no avail. He said the only thing to do is to replace the device. I walked into a local Verizon and they ordered a replacement through warranty and it should be here in 2 days. I will send the old phone back once I receive the new device. Long story short, there is no work around for this problem, have to replace the device.

Miami1683

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
It's a Google security function. Not a Samsung function at all. My nexus has this option in the settings. Input your pattern and Google ID or no go. Maybe the data got messed up inside the phone. Good to know VZW will replace it under warranty though. I didn't expect that

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a Google security function. Not a Samsung function at all. My nexus has this option in the settings. Input your pattern and Google ID or no go. Maybe the data got messed up inside the phone. Good to know VZW will replace it under warranty though. I didn't expect that
Shouldn't be a problem if you bought the phone from Verizon.they have the imei of your phone on record so they know that it isn't stolen.

k3m1c6

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
This just happened to me yesterday. I was at Wallywold doing some shopping. I reached into my pocket to check the time and I see the little green android and it says system updating. Next thing I know it reboots and the set up screen is showing. I select English and enter my Google acct info just like I did on day one. I get the "please sign in using one of the owner's accounts for this device". After a trip to the Verizon store, a trip to Best Buy, two calls to Samsung, one to Google and four to Verizon, I have a new (like new replacement) coming tomorrow.

I would love to see why this is happening.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife just went through the same thing. It took 24 hours before the account let her log in. She took it to the corporate store and no dice. I tried about 50 different ways to log in for her, nada. Then, suddenly, the login worked. She was tickled after all that frustration!

k3m1c6

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
My wife just went through the same thing. It took 24 hours before the account let her log in. She took it to the corporate store and no dice. I tried about 50 different ways to log in for her, nada. Then, suddenly, the login worked. She was tickled after all that frustration!

Interesting....I will have to try this when I get home. I would rather keep my original device then to take a "Like new replacement" so if it does work, I may just send the replacement back.

k3m1c6

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Tried it again last night with no luck. Replacement will be there when get home tonight.

Posted via the Android Central App

jracklye

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
Suddenly my fingerprint, backup password, and Google sign in all wouldn't work. Tried everything. Google and Samsung no help. Had to do the dreaded factory reset and lost a lot of good content.

If it happens again I'm switching to iPhone.

:(

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Had this happen to me and the wife with our samsung galaxy s6 edge + without any updates happening at all. Seemed like some strange bug, but it did take 24 hours before all of a sudden it worked with the Gmail password. I suggest you replace the phone, we went a little more extreme and got rid of the phone all together.

And as the story goes "Only one samsung device remained from that day, A day that forever changed the boundaries and landscape of the smartphone world. A Galaxy S6 Active 64GB that remains as the only carrier branded device in that household forever more. A phone that is eternally in carrier branded purgatory and lore. Will the household ever buy a carrier branded device again.....I think not and **** no!"-----Quoted by Morgan Freeman

43Dice

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
The same thing happened to me on Friday. Find out later it happened to a friend as well. We are both on verizon but have different phones. Which leads me to believe it was the carrier. Who are u with?

Turbo2Pete

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
It hit me this morning - Note 5 on Sprint. Updated the OS to v 6.0 I think it said... after it finished and rebooted I'm locked out.

when the phone was new I got locked out (a few friends too) of the fingerprint lock a few times - and wouldn't accept the backup code... At least then it gave me the option to get it using my google login.

This time it won't take my pattern, code, and not even an option to use my google account...

Spent FOUR HOURS on the phone & chat with Sprint, Google, and Samsung on this... everyone kept passing the blame until the last Samsung rep that I got through google -- he finally said it was Samsung's fault - which it obviously is, they take android from google and tweak it, then THEY push it onto us...

No resolution either... just the shortcut answer that I have to do a hard reset.

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
Are people sure that Marshmallow is not triggering Samsung Knox or related Samsung security firmware or software?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Something must have gone wrong, because a system update should not make the phone do a factory reset (which is what seems to have happened, since the Setup Wizard showed up again).

If a Samsung phone is factory reset without the owner removing their Google account beforehand, that's considered an "unauthorized" factory reset, which requires that same Google account's credentials to be entered again after the reset. I'm not sure what the best approach will be at this point. Since the problem seemed to start with the Verizon update, I would go back to them and point out that their update caused the phone to inappropriately do a factory reset, and then present you with this problem. Since it was an update pushed by Verizon that seemed to cause this, it should be their responsibility to correct the issue. If you talk to Samsung or Google, they might end up just being suspicious of you, since you're encountering an issue that comes up with an unauthorized reset. So the added advantage of going to Verizon is that they should know you and have records of the phones that you've purchased from them. Good luck!
How do I remove my google account before factory resetting my phone to sell it?