Note 5 update has locked me out. Verizon, samsung and Google no help at all

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Suddenly my fingerprint, backup password, and Google sign in all wouldn't work. Tried everything. Google and Samsung no help. Had to do the dreaded factory reset and lost a lot of good content.

If it happens again I'm switching to iPhone.

:(
I had an iphone do the same thing in a system upgrade. They are not immune to it either.

jsaf

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Just got the Marshmallow update last night, and got locked out. Rather than fingerprint, I was using the pattern to unlock ... the phone now doesn't recognize my pattern nor the backup password, nor the option to log in with my Google account.

After 3 frustrating hours on the phone, between Sprint, Samsung, and Android, I got the apology "I'm sorry but you'll have to reset your phone, which may not actually solve the problem because you may still be locked out ..."

People here seem to have had success waiting awhile for the option to appear to log in with Google ...

Alex Ryan1

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
the same exact thing happened with my at&t note 5. NONE of my passwords or fingerprints worked on the phone but they worked for my computer......wtf right.

I reset passwords and did everything I could and nothing. did the device manager and set a new password and even put a message on the screen from my comp, the phone showed the message but still password didn't work....again wtf

what FINALLY worked was disabling 2-step verication from my google account on my computer and FINALLY I was able to unlock the phone using my google info using my regular email and password that the phone kept rejecting before disabling 2-step verification.

it has to be some sort of flaw in googles/android software.

DrewG44

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Make sure you remove both Google and Facebook account before doing a factory reset or upgrade..the FSP will engage and could lock you out of your Google account if you don't. The sync could malfunction on FB as well. There is a Crack for this but as of now it does not work...Also if using PDP re-enable all apps or you may have issues on install..

Drews Droid

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I tried using an alternate Google account but that didn't work. Verizon customer support didn't have a solutions, Samsung customer service said to take it to a Best Buy Samsung center. The Samsung rep said he's experienced this before and worked on it for multiple hours to no avail. He said the only thing to do is to replace the device. I walked into a local Verizon and they ordered a replacement through warranty and it should be here in 2 days. I will send the old phone back once I receive the new device. Long story short, there is no work around for this problem, have to replace the device.

Actually, there may be a work around for the tripped Factory Reset Protection (FRP) issue. While I have never had this issue, and thus have never tried this, a fellow by the moniker of RootJunky has some YouTube videos showing how to get past FRP on a number of brands of phones including Samsung without the original gmail account info.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
It hit me this morning - Note 5 on Sprint. Updated the OS to v 6.0 I think it said... after it finished and rebooted I'm locked out.

when the phone was new I got locked out (a few friends too) of the fingerprint lock a few times - and wouldn't accept the backup code... At least then it gave me the option to get it using my google login.

This time it won't take my pattern, code, and not even an option to use my google account...

Spent FOUR HOURS on the phone & chat with Sprint, Google, and Samsung on this... everyone kept passing the blame until the last Samsung rep that I got through google -- he finally said it was Samsung's fault - which it obviously is, they take android from google and tweak it, then THEY push it onto us...

No resolution either... just the shortcut answer that I have to do a hard reset.

Actually the carrier is the last one to mess with it. Google sends it to Samsung, they do some tweaking to it. Then Samsung sends it to the carrier and they do additional tweaking by adding their bloatware and even sometimes removing features. With two different groups messing with it, it's hard to know who actually messed it up. The samsung rep said it was their fault regarding your issue and it may very well be but keep in mind that the carrier is the last one to tweak the OS before pushing it out to their customers. I'm on T-Mobile and didn't have any issues with the Marshmallow update, didn't even have to do a factory reset. I was with AT&T last year with my Note 4 and honestly this update with T-Mobile went smoother and was released earlier (AT&T still hasn't released Marshmallow last I read) and not as much bloatware. I have noticed that if I restart my phone, the first time unlocking it I have to use my 4 digit pin, the fingerprint option won't work. After I unlock it the first time with the pin, I can use the fingerprint unlock every time after that. Odd but not a big deal.

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I had it happen to me, there was nothing to do to fix it. I had to do the dreaded factory reset..then wait another day because of Google new lock out security policy.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had it happen to me, there was nothing to do to fix it. I had to do the dreaded factory reset..then wait another day because of Google new lock out security policy.
So even if I know all my google account info password and pin google will lock me out for 24 hours just for doing a factory reset?

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So even if I know all my google account info password and pin google will lock me out for 24 hours just for doing a factory reset?

Only if the factory reset is to avoid FRP (factory reset protection) is my understanding and personal experience.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Only if the factory reset is to avoid FRP (factory reset protection) is my understanding and personal experience.
Huh? I don't even know what that means. If I just do a reset from my device itself while open (not from recovery) will I get the 24 hr stall? It shouldn't be this hard. Never used to be

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Huh? I don't even know what that means. If I just do a reset from my device itself while open (not from recovery) will I get the 24 hr stall? It shouldn't be this hard. Never used to be

It means that if you can access your phone then you haven't tripped FRP and you can do a factory reset without waiting 24 hours.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
In my experience by entering the incorrect unlock code more than 10 times or by having the OS glitch and tripping it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2