New app optimization in note 5

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kelly,
Should I leave my settings where they are?
Thanks

You will have to tell per app.. Gonna be a guessing game.

Since it is power saving on a per app basis, an app might not function like you want. Like the one game the Samsung rep told me about, used a lot of battery, but optimizing it made it a black and white game and no color. Now it doesn't affect all games that way.

I think this is going to be just trial and error for us until we see how our individual apps are affected. That is why I went ahead and did the thread, because some apps might not function the way they are expected, if optimized.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Right! The update claims battery optimization but there's no options in the battery menu!

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. Lenovo tab2 A8 50f WATCH: Galaxy gear

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Right! The update claims battery optimization but there's no options in the battery menu!

Posted from my Beast Galaxy Note 5

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. Lenovo tab2 A8 50f WATCH: Galaxy gear

Does on tmobile.

Posted via the Android Central App

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This came to me (920L in Korea) with the OJ1 update about 6 weeks ago, we are on OJ4 now. I noticed a small improvement to battery life so far. I made a post about it a while back.
I'm with T-Mobile and we're on OJ5.
I'm not sure it's helping much I'll try anything to extend battery.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I just changed from T-Mobile to at&t this weekend. It's on the T-Mobile phones. I had a horrible signal which prompted the change now things are greatly improved. Anyway the tip I got from a CSR is to try 'always optimize' for your most frequently used apps. Supposedly it does impact battery life.

cajunaggie87

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Anybody know if it is possible to turn off the notification that appears when it starts to optimize? Or at least make it so it doesn't make a sound?

StarDon

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I have that and I have T-Mobile as my carrier. It kills apps that are idle that run in the background. It limits their usage. I have all my apps on ALWAYS OPTIMIZING and my battery life is beyond great on top of the already great battery. It also helps with RAM.

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I installed an update yesterday and it does have the app optimization. I'm on Rogers in Canada.

Posted on shiny naked titanium silver Note 5

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
And probably not needed, as far as I can tell. This phone is very responsive regardless of what I throw at it.
I agree. I get great battery life and very responsive. I would not use any 3rd party battery/app optimizers but if it is baked into android I will give it a shot. I don't used any of the apps from the app store for that.

white shirt only

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I have this option too on Wind Mobile, Canada. Auto activated by default. Will see how it works.

Had some network connectivity problems as well, put always WCDMA to see if improved. Hope it's not linked to that app optimization.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38