Picking up Note 5 TODAY!!!

OldCookie

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone.

As a treat, my girlfriend is getting me a Note 5 for my birthday, going to be picking it up TODAY!! Going to the Tmobile store as type this up. Super excited.

I wanted some information from the gurus on here that have tweaked, debloated, the phone to make it faster, better, and last longer.

With that being said, i did come across a video online which instructs you do get into developer options to change some animation settings(makes it look faster).

Are there any other tweaks, or apps to debloat the phone? If so, what did you do?

Do you guys recommend any apps to have on the phone to monitor security, anti virus, battery, ram cpu usage, etc?

Any tips and advice will be appreciated. :) Thanks all.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone.

As a treat, my girlfriend is getting me a Note 5 for my birthday, going to be picking it up TODAY!! Going to the Tmobile store as type this up. Super excited.

I wanted some information from the gurus on here that have tweaked, debloated, the phone to make it faster, better, and last longer.

With that being said, i did come across a video online which instructs you do get into developer options to change some animation settings(makes it look faster).

Are there any other tweaks, or apps to debloat the phone? If so, what did you do?

Do you guys recommend any apps to have on the phone to monitor security, anti virus, battery, ram cpu usage, etc?

Any tips and advice will be appreciated. :) Thanks all.

She's a keeper!

First thing I did was go right into the theme store and toss the material dark theme on. Love it.

Next I went into my app drawer and uninstalled anything I didn't want, then disabled anything I would never use that I couldn't uninstall.

I changed the animations to .5 using the developer options you mentioned as well.

Also, if you haven't used a Note before, five right into the SPen. Smart select and scrolling screen shots are two of my favorite features. Also, in SNote, make sure you download and install the expansion pack to get all the features. You can do this by opening SNote, select more in the top right, then more features.

Enjoy!

Knightstalker

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Having just got the note 5 for a test drive myself, I'd advise to cut it a lil slack when setting up and the first few days... I expected a little lag when setting up, but the battery life was annoying me at first, last 2-3 days it's (battery life) been awesome... even with heavy use...

So make it your own... and enjoy!

OldCookie

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
She's a keeper!

First thing I did was go right into the theme store and toss the material dark theme on. Love it.

Next I went into my app drawer and uninstalled anything I didn't want, then disabled anything I would never use that I couldn't uninstall.

I changed the animations to .5 using the developer options you mentioned as well.

Also, if you haven't used a Note before, five right into the SPen. Smart select and scrolling screen shots are two of my favorite features. Also, in SNote, make sure you download and install the expansion pack to get all the features. You can do this by opening SNote, select more in the top right, then more features.

Enjoy!

I'm gonna try that out. Have you experienced any other types of launchers?

I'm getting mixed reviews stating removing certain apps/uninstalling will cause problems to the phone? Although it seems like it's going well on yours!

Never had a Note, so i'm going to be testing that out!

Which carrier are you using?

Knightstalker- Guess we'll find out soon! What software version are you on? Up to date? Also, what carrier are you using?

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna try that out. Have you experienced any other types of launchers?

I'm getting mixed reviews stating removing certain apps/uninstalling will cause problems to the phone? Although it seems like it's going well on yours!

Never had a Note, so i'm going to be testing that out!

Which carrier are you using?

Knightstalker- Guess we'll find out soon! What software version are you on? Up to date? Also, what carrier are you using?

I've used Nova Prime on other phones, but with the theme I don't feel like I need to use anything else, at least so far.

I think some people are using an app called package disabler, which if you don't know what you're doing could negatively impact the phone. I personally don't find that necessary.

I'm on Verizon

OldCookie

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Think I may have to do some research for now as I navigate through the new phone :D

I noticed Verizon has Google Now swiping towards the right.

Mine is tmobile and it shows something similar... I'm trying to disable it though and replace it with google now.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
IMO you should start by using TouchWiz, the Samsung keyboard and the stock email and messaging apps. Use the S Pen!!! The Note series is designed around the S pen and the pre-loaded apps are specifically designed to enhance your S pen's usefulness. Don't freeze anything not available to uninstall or disable within the OS. After you have used it for a couple of weeks you will have a much better idea of what you like, what you want, and what needs to be modified to give you your optimum experience. This whole battery saving deal is being blown way out of proportion. The battery will last you a full day unless you plan on spending 12 per day streaming interactive games. But until you actually pass the learning curve to at least the first plateau you can't intelligently modify the phone to be better for you.

OldCookie

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I got the basic settings set up...

During the setup I was using TouchWiz stock ui, then I upgraded to a different theme. Much better.

Now trying to see what apps I need before I install games and what not...

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just got mine last week. Had the S6. Huge upgrade in my opinion. Disabled a lot of stuff I won't use, and installed the Google Now launcher. Battery life has been good. Of course, you're mileage may very. Off the charger for fifteen hours yesterday and was still at over 40 percent. Moderate to heavy use. As others have said, tweak it to fit you needs. You'll like this phone.

vfp5

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine last week. Had the S6. Huge upgrade in my opinion. Disabled a lot of stuff I won't use, and installed the Google Now launcher. Battery life has been good. Of course, you're mileage may very. Off the charger for fifteen hours yesterday and was still at over 40 percent. Moderate to heavy use. As others have said, tweak it to fit you needs. You'll like this phone.

Same here. Moved up from s6 and coyldnt be happier. Loved s6 but couldnt handle the poor battery life. The note lasts me a day+

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Got my Note 5 at ATT this past Friday. Absolutely love it. Great for my work and all my multi task stuff I like to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

OldCookie

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Loving this phone! I installed Google Launcher but I preferred have the Time and weather widget from Touch wiz. I may try out Nova Launcer later on to take advantage of those gestures!

What is everyone doing to conserve battery power or ram management?

My ram seems to always be around 50% during standby even after closing some backgroup apps.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Loving this phone! I installed Google Launcher but I preferred have the Time and weather widget from Touch wiz. I may try out Nova Launcer later on to take advantage of those gestures!

What is everyone doing to conserve battery power or ram management?

My ram seems to always be around 50% during standby even after closing some backgroup apps.

Android OS works best if RAM is mostly in use unlike Windows OS. You should really let the Android OS manage RAM and not close apps unless you are experiencing seriously slow operation.
I haven't had any issues with battery life. And with the ability to wirelessly charge with both common wireless charging protocols in the US I simply set it down on a wireless charger when I am at my desk or at night on my night stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid