I have a new Galaxy Note5 that I took possession of 3 days ago. On Day 1 I did the bulk of my setup, and experienced no unusual behavior. On Day 2, I installed a few more programs, and restored settings from several, and still noticed no unusual behavior.

But on the morning of Day 3, the phone presented a large black number pad that I could not make disappear. Even after rebooting the phone, it reappeared fairly soon. This is NOT the emergency dialer, nor is it the keypad for unlocking the phone (I'm using fingerprint unlock).

Can anyone tell me what this number pad is and, more importantly, how to prevent it from popping up.

Following are all the additional details I can think of that might help in the analysis:

* The keypad is covers most (but not all) of the screen, with the ten numbers and a check mark. I don't have enough points to post links -- but if you search imgur for "AV2jVHj", you should find an image I uploaded there.
    * I have found no way to dismiss it: The back button does not affect it. Tapping on the background does not affect it. Long-pressing its border does not affect it.
    * The image is on the foreground. To the extent that I can see the screen above and below it, phone functions continue normally -- but the number pad obscures them.
    * I have found through trial and error that it will disappear if I tap "1" and then the check mark; no other numbers (nor the check mark alone) seem to dismiss ig.
    * It seems to be appearing less frequently: On the morning of Day 3, it appeared several times (between 5 and 10 times). That afternoon it appeared about twice. That evening, not at all. It has not yet appeared today (Day 4).
    * There seems to be some correlation to notifications, but I have not been able to pinpoint what. (It appeared simultaneous to a calendar notification once, but calendar notifications have happened since then without it being presented. It appeared another time when there were several notifications in the notification bar -- but I do not know if it appeared simultaneous to them, as I was away from the phone for several minutes at this time.)

I've made a list of changes (to the extent I can remember them) from Day 2 -- but nothing stands out as a logical culprit:

* I installed a few known that I used on my previous phone (Amazon Prime Now and an internal app manager used by my employer).
    * I installed a couple of new apps that don't seem like logical culprits (Brij [a well-established and highly-rated bridge game] and Box).
    * I enabled Samsung Security updates in response to a prompt.
    * I restored configurations from backup (Tasker and Trigger).

Any insight will be appreciated.
    10-30-2015 11:50 AM
    Can you post a picture of this?
    10-30-2015 12:36 PM
    Here's the pic...

10-30-2015 12:41 PM