Happy with note 5?

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Been using the t mobile note 5 for about a month and I really like it. I came from a nexus 5. Haven't used the spen much but it's useful when I do. I really like the screen and the overall size even with a tpu case is fine. My wife's s6 and my old nexus feel small now. The camera is great too.

The only thing I don't like is I can't double tap a notification from the lock screen and go to the app when the phone is unlocked. I still need to slide to unlock (Google now voice commands won't go until I swipe either) for example when driving and is unlocked with trusted Bluetooth and I say ok Google send a text it'll acknowledge the request but not follow through until I swipe to unlock. Hardly a deal breaker

Posted via the Android Central App

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I went from the Note 4 to the Note 5 and thought I could get by without the expandable memory and swappable battery but I just couldn't. I figured I was just going to stick it out until next year and see what new offerings are available but then I saw the LG V10 and decided to get that instead. I also missed having the IR blaster.....another feature removed from the Note 5. Don't get me wrong, I loved the performance, the screen and the UI but just disappointed in Samsung. I feel like in some ways I was downgrading going from the Note 4 to the Note 5.

Harlemknight

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Had mine since release day, coming from Note 4. Had the Note 3, and 2 before that. I know I don't use my Note to the fullest, but I do use a lot of its features. Learn you phone, and I doubt you'll want anything different.

TheLastPanda

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Have had mine for 3 weeks. I miss my iPhone 6 sometimes. I use it sometimes as I still haven't transfered everything over. I think I finally moved everything over yesterday. Btw, everything went onto Google Drive and Photos and it's awesome! Thank God for my unlimited plan.

The size of the iPhone 6 is perfect for 1 handed use, as well as the weight. The in hand feel is better.

I miss being able to authenticate, especially bank accounts, with my fingerprint.

And battery life is better on the iPhone 6 and it only has a 2000mah battery.

JAG21979

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone since release date and I want to love it but 1 thing that has me considering going to an iPhone is the screen freeze issue. I know this is a well known issue with the Note 5. I've done 2 factory resets, 1 being last night and today my screen began to freeze again. If this phone didn't have this issue, I would consider it the best of the best. I love the fast and wireless charging, and S Pen all of which the iPhone is lacking, so I'm still trying to decide what to do.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone a little over a month and I still think it's the best device I've owned. Amazing camera, great screen, I love the size for a device with such a big screen, the small side bezels are great.

The only thing that could improve a bit is touchwiz, I actually like it these days but a few things could be better.

Why with all your options Samsung can I not change the snooze duration on an alarm? After a long time with it I do notice the app redraws from time to time also thanks to the ram management

But every phone has some compromises, I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there now

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Have had mine for 3 weeks. I miss my iPhone 6 sometimes. I use it sometimes as I still haven't transfered everything over. I think I finally moved everything over yesterday. Btw, everything went onto Google Drive and Photos and it's awesome! Thank God for my unlimited plan.

The size of the iPhone 6 is perfect for 1 handed use, as well as the weight. The in hand feel is better.

I miss being able to authenticate, especially bank accounts, with my fingerprint.

And battery life is better on the iPhone 6 and it only has a 2000mah battery.

The Note 5 is state of the art and getting better. IMO, that is why you chose it over the iPhone 6.. :D

IMO, the size of the Note 5 is perfect, I for one wish they had kept some features that were in the previous Notes, but we can't win them all.

Off Topic for a second, you avatar got to me.. :D
I am an RC51 nutcase/jockey..
Trackday bike
http://www.cehoward.net/legg1.jpg
http://www.cehoward.net/skat859.jpg

Full Race/WERA/CCS weapon
http://www.cehoward.net/630-p.jpg

Back on topic..:D

Forget the IPhone, what size Note 5 you got, 32 or 64?

Be safe,

bmetelsky

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
I just moved from an HTC One M8 for Windows to the Note 5 and have no regrets so far.
It's a very handsome phone, sturdy, high quality build. It's very speedy in all regards and I'm looking forward to learning/using it all.

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
It's good but not great. I enjoy nearly all aspects of it, but little performance issues stop me from really loving it.

They're small things, but personally they irk me ...
  • Frame drops in UI animations. Some how Touchwiz is still not as smooth as it can be. Coming from a OnePlus One with 2 years older hardware, the UI is not as smooth.
  • Scrolling behaviour. It has gotten better over time with app and OS updates, but still, scrolling in certain 3rd party apps is not as smooth as on more stock android.
  • Ram management issues. It doesn't bother me that much, but it's there, no doubt about it.

Given how damn powerful the hardware is, I find the above issues disappointing. I would gladly trade 0.5 seconds of app opening time for smoother animations and scrolling.

EDIT: but yeah, the camera, screen, build quality, call quality etc etc ... all great :)

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
It's good but not great. I enjoy nearly all aspects of it, but little performance issues stop me from really loving it.

• Frame drops in UI animations. Some how Touchwiz is still not as smooth as it can be. Coming from a OnePlus One with 2 years older hardware, the UI is not as smooth.
  • Scrolling behaviour. It has gotten better over time with app and OS updates, but still, scrolling in certain 3rd party apps is not as smooth as on more stock android.
  • Ram management issues. It doesn't bother me that much, but it's there, no doubt about it.

Given how damn powerful the hardware is, I find the above issues disappointing. I would gladly trade 0.5 seconds of app opening time for smoother animations and scrolling.

EDIT: but yeah, the camera, screen, build quality, call quality etc etc ... all great :)

Nova prime will fix the animation, scrolling, and frame drop issues

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Nova prime will fix the animation, scrolling, and frame drop issues

No it doesn't. Not within 3rd party apps or UI elements like the drop down notifications or the multitasking carrousel. It did improve scrolling in widgets.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I have seen a couple of ppl with these complaints and I must be lucky as I have none of these issues whatsoever.

clouds0222

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at coming over to a Note 5 from an iPhone. I was considering a Nexus 5X, but circumstances kept me from getting one. For right now anyway. :) A few questions about the Note 5.....how big is it? I have an iPhone 6 Plus, is it bigger than the 6 Plus? I can't see going much bigger than the 6 Plus.....also, I have had a few Samsung Galaxy phones in the past, (not a Note, I've never owned a Note device), and I experienced lag and stuttering, that's why I didn't stick with them. Are these issues improved on the Note 5? Thanks for any input!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That just might be possible. I will look for a fix regarding the freezing problem and stick with the phone until next year.
I would try a factory data reset and don't install any apps to see if you still have problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol