12-14-2015 04:04 PM
50 12
tools
    Also, it just dawned on me. I haven't received an update for my T-Mobile Note 5... :S
    11-04-2015 11:20 AM
    You need to do a check for updates lol
    11-04-2015 11:38 AM
    So it's probably just my luck and it's probably because I use this phone for everything, but my battery life has gotten worse since the new update. Me and Samsung batteries clearly aren't meant to be.
    11-04-2015 12:32 PM
    So it's probably just my luck and it's probably because I use this phone for everything, but my battery life has gotten worse since the new update. Me and Samsung batteries clearly aren't meant to be.
    Did you wipe cache after the update?
    11-04-2015 12:37 PM
    Did you wipe cache after the update?
    I didn't. I'll do that, though it is a tad bit annoying how much tweaking and wiping and whatnot must be done for this phone to not drop 10% in less than 40 minutes. I know it's Android and it uses more this and that than iOS, but it is still tiresome.
    11-04-2015 12:41 PM
    Wiping cache is a must for an update. Now when we upgrade to Marshmallow, I will reset before and then update and then wipe cache.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    11-04-2015 12:42 PM
    Wiping cache is a must for an update. Now when we upgrade to Marshmallow, I will reset before and then update and then wipe cache.
    I did it. But it all seems like so much work just to enjoy a phone.
    11-04-2015 12:46 PM
    It's also always in the high 90's of degrees when ever the screen is on. It doesn't matter if it's a YouTube video or the forums, I feel like this phone is always running hot now.
    11-04-2015 12:47 PM
    You might need a factory reset if the cache doesn't help. High temps shouldn't be a thing if you're not actively using the phone with an intensive task (I've watched streaming videos for an hour and it doesn't get that hot).

But I agree with you, we shouldn't have to go through these hoops to get our devices to work as intended. However, I do have an iPhone for work and I still have similar issues when an update hits. Things get buggy, some things stop working. And every single iPad user I know here says the same thing when they update. So we're not alone. But still, shouldn't be this way.
    11-04-2015 12:51 PM
    You might need a factory reset if the cache doesn't help. High temps shouldn't be a thing if you're not actively using the phone with an intensive task (I've watched streaming videos for an hour and it doesn't get that hot).

But I agree with you, we shouldn't have to go through these hoops to get our devices to work as intended. However, I do have an iPhone for work and I still have similar issues when an update hits. Things get buggy, some things stop working. And every single iPad user I know here says the same thing when they update. So we're not alone. But still, shouldn't be this way.
    I wish I had time for a factory reset or even the patience. Just trying to figure out what the heck is plaguing every Samsung device I have ever owned is time consuming. I just turned off the battery stats and the temperature stats because knowing is driving me crazy, or rather to purchase an iPhone. It's not that I need things "simple" so to speak, I just need things to work for me. And I use my phone a lot for homework and social media and while productivity wise this phone can't be beat, the overheating and battery draining is a major annoyance.
    11-04-2015 12:57 PM
    Now my phone stays 80-90 when I'm using it, but doesn't get up over 90. You might have an app causing a problem.
    11-04-2015 12:58 PM
    Now my phone stays 80-90 when I'm using it, but doesn't get up over 90. You might have an app causing a problem.
    I've deleted quite a few apps, so I'm hoping that one of them was the issue and not one of my major apps. I'm hoping this can be rectified without a factory reset.
    11-04-2015 01:08 PM
    If you still have the issue, you might want to run it in safe mode and see if it is still happening. If it is, then there is something else besides a app causing it.
    11-04-2015 01:12 PM
    I agree, if the problem has been with every phone you've owned and most other people don't see the same issue... it might be a specific app. Anything you keep on your devices all the time?
    11-04-2015 01:49 PM
    I agree, if the problem has been with every phone you've owned and most other people don't see the same issue... it might be a specific app. Anything you keep on your devices all the time?
    The basic social media apps, really. I'm starting to think it can be the email app I use, so I think I'll be in search for a new one.
    11-04-2015 02:33 PM
    Only Social Media apps I use are Facebook and Twitter. I used the stock email app for a while, but stopped using it, just went back to Gmail.
    11-04-2015 02:45 PM
    I'd use GMail if it supported Exchange accounts on all phones (for some reason it doesn't on Samsung devices).

And yup, a friend of mine had issues with his Nexus because of the mail app he was using. He switched to another one and voilá! Better battery life.
    11-04-2015 03:05 PM
    I'd use GMail if it supported Exchange accounts on all phones (for some reason it doesn't on Samsung devices).

And yup, a friend of mine had issues with his Nexus because of the mail app he was using. He switched to another one and voilá! Better battery life.
    11-04-2015 03:05 PM
    Wow! 7 hours of screen on time and still 28% battery life to go!? Need some more info on this:

- What was your screen brightness set to? If auto, were you inside in the dark most of the time?
    - What apps were you using mostly to rack up that much screen time?
    - I see that you are on WiFi but there is no radio connection besides the basic voice one. For me on Verizon, even if I am connected to WiFi, I still see "4G LTE" next to my WiFi icon. Why is that? Are you not connected to the towers? Turning off the radios would obviously have a big impact on battery drain

Thanks
    11-04-2015 03:49 PM
    I was inside, use auto brightness all the time. Basic texting, email, browser, hangouts, work apps, so Facebook, YouTube, Android Central App, etc.

I had just switched on WiFi, I stay on mobile almost always. I don't use WiFi calling. Verizon doesn't seem to shut the LTE off with WiFi on. That will also cause a high standby with WiFi on with Verizon.

I'm connected to the towers even when on WiFi.

I never turn off radios, use airplane mode, etc.
    11-04-2015 03:54 PM
    Question. Is there anyway to disable notifications for App Optimization?

We've had this feature in South Korea for awhile, but I keep turning it off because I don't want alerts from the feature telling me it's doing its job.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2015 11:16 PM
    I don't have notifications about this. You can try Heads Off application from the Play Store, it has blocked things like full battery notifications some carriers use.

There is a free version to test it out and see.
    11-06-2015 11:18 PM
    A couple of us have been discussing this feature today and how it works and what it does. We all figured maybe it hibernated apps, similar in how Greenify works or in some ways Doze in Marshmallow works.

We were wrong.

I got someone at Samsung and asked about how this does work, so everyone can know if they want to optimize certain apps or not. I will post a couple of screenshots for optimizing and the choices.

The way this works is by being a power saving feature, per app. That might be fine for some apps, but you might not want it for all. There was a game he told me about, when optimized, makes it black and white instead of color. The game uses a lot of battery, so making it black and white is part of optimizing it. Now he also said it does not make all games black and white.

If you use this and then start having unwanted side effects with an app, then you can turn it off. Think of this as power saving on your phone, but it isn't your entire phone, you can pick the apps to power save.

You have 3 options and nothing is optimizing by default. You might want to go through your apps and check.

Open your battery and you will see it listed under your battery.
    I just bought a T-Mobile Note 5 and I was wondering what this was all about. I did a search and lock what I found! Great info!
    11-20-2015 08:27 AM
    Very interesting feature.
    12-10-2015 12:17 PM
    A couple of things to add on battery life. I was getting 8-10 hours shortly after getting it. I first went through and deleted all apps I wasn't actually using. I'm not sure which app was sucking down battery life, but this improved life to roughly 15 hours (my wife was getting 30+).

Since the update which added this optimization, I am now getting in the 30+ hours region. Part of this is the T-Mobile WiFi phone feature. In the battery graph, I can see, dramatically, the difference between operating on a WiFi connection and operating on the cellular network. I expect this is from T-Mobile having fewer cell towers in the area and needing high power output from the phone.

The screwy part in the middle is where the security update was installed today

Look at the slope when I'm out of the office vs. inside the office. And note that the "inside office" slope is actually more shallow than the expected usage slope. If the phone stays inside WiFi, it can last 30+ hours.

T-Mobile and International New App Optimization Update-screenshot_2015-12-14-15-55-07.jpg
    12-14-2015 04:04 PM
50 12