11-03-2015 05:01 PM
28 12
tools
    So far so good...but accidents happen.

What's the best way to stop this going in backwards?

-Trim the edges of the pen?

-Glue a fob on the end so it's physically impossible to put it in backwards?

-Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Sapient likes this.
    11-03-2015 11:34 AM
    Pay attention?
    11-03-2015 11:54 AM
    Dont rush and take it slow

Posted via the Android Central App
    shawnOST likes this.
    11-03-2015 12:02 PM
    Jokes aside, serious advice please and thanks.
    Sapient likes this.
    11-03-2015 12:40 PM
    Jokes aside, serious advice please and thanks.
    I don't think anyone was joking
    kj11 and jimd1050 like this.
    11-03-2015 01:44 PM
    After reading the various threads, I have personally thought it may be good to glue a pencil eraser on the end of the pen. I have the Otterbox Defender case, and the spen is roughly 3/16" of an inch inset from the case. So, I could actually attach a slightly larger diameter eraser on the end of the spen, and it wouldn't be sticking out from the case and catching on things. I just haven't got around to it yet, but very feasible. Plus, you would have a spen that would look unique.

If you do something, make sure it is flexible, as you will want to be a "failure point", and let the eraser break off before the pen breaks.

My personal solution (so far) has been to purchase a replacement pen, just in case.
    ENAMRESU likes this.
    11-03-2015 02:18 PM
    I don't think anyone was joking
    Truth.

I also check before gassing up to make sure I'm not pumping diesel, verify a wire isn't "hot" before messing with it, and make sure there are no obstructions before holstering my gun.

Basically, if it can damage me or something expensive I own, I make sure to pay attention to what I'm doing. Saves pain and money that way.
    exdrinker likes this.
    11-03-2015 02:25 PM
    After getting my note 5 and hearing about the s pen "issue" , I have no idea how anyone could put it in backwards.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-03-2015 02:26 PM
    I'm not overly concerned, but there is always that rare, random screw-up that can happen. I mostly worry I'll let someone play with my phone, and they will insert the pen backwards.

It would be cool if there was a simple, nice looking mod that could prevent the possibility.
    11-03-2015 03:14 PM
    Use your brain. I liken this to putting on your pants. They go on one way, you probably have never tried to put them on upside down....
    11-03-2015 03:18 PM
    Pay attention?
    Amazing how effective this option can be.
    11-03-2015 03:20 PM
    Use your brain. I liken this to putting on your pants. They go on one way, you probably have never tried to put them on upside down....
    But it is kind of impossible to put your pants on upside down. If, say, the legs and waste were all the same size, I'm sure it would happen on occasion. It isn't crazy to imagine someone grabbing the pen and phone while thinking about something else and just pushing it home.
    11-03-2015 03:32 PM
    I have had every Note and I have never tried to put one in backwards, even in the dark. It has always been a non-issue to me.
    kj11 likes this.
    11-03-2015 03:32 PM
    Some of you are pretty darn condescending / smug. Maybe it's an anonymity thing that turns you guys into the hot favorite at the local open mic night.

Thanks to the people who offered advice, i have a few ideas now.
    Sapient likes this.
    11-03-2015 03:40 PM
    Some of you are pretty darn condescending / smug. Maybe it's an anonymity thing that turns you guys into the hot favorite at the local open mic night.

Thanks to the people who offered advice, i have a few ideas now.
    I know. While I am not especially worried myself, I don't understand the condescension.

Do these folk flood the screen protector thread to tell people to use their brains and just not scratch their screens? Do they flood the case threads to tell people to pay attention instead of dropping their phones?
    11-03-2015 03:45 PM
    I know. While I am not especially worried myself, I don't understand the condescension.

Do these folk flood the screen protector thread to tell people to use their brains and just not scratch their screens? Do they flood the case threads to tell people to pay attention instead of dropping their phones?
    Except for the fact that scratches on the screen or damages from drops are a risk with a much higher probability of happening. You can be a very careful and observant user and something can still happen to damage the phone. Just like being a very careful driver may not always prevent an accident, so it's a good idea to wear your seat belt every time you drive.

Not putting the pen in backwards is a simple matter of situational awareness and is as effective as anything else discussed here. Every article out there that has tried to make a big deal of this has said "it's only a small fraction of instances."
    11-03-2015 03:58 PM

Call me smug if you want, but like I said... it's expensive, so I pay attention.

I do have a screen protector and case, because outside influences can cause a phone to be scratched, or knocked off a table, etc.

There are no outside influences that can cause me to put the pen in backwards.
    11-03-2015 04:00 PM
    There have already been numerous threads on this forum about the spen being inserted backwards.

Just because numerous people don't have an issue with inserting the spen in backwards doesn't mean someone is being condescending nor that they don't have just as much right and reason to post their view.

Yes, it is a phone that costs hundreds of dollars, be careful with it. The spen issue was a non-issue. Almost all incidences of it happening were people that intentionally inserted their spen backwards when they heard about it.
    kj11 likes this.
    11-03-2015 04:03 PM
    Except for the fact that scratches on the screen or damages from drops are a risk with a much higher probability of happening. You can be a very careful and observant user and something can still happen to damage the phone. Just like being a very careful driver may not always prevent an accident, so it's a good idea to wear your seat belt every time you drive.

Not putting the pen in backwards is a simple matter of situational awareness and is as effective as anything else discussed here. Every article out there that has tried to make a big deal of this has said "it's only a small fraction of instances."
    Well, fine. If you don't care enough, or are not observant enough, to keep your phone safe, then you should indeed use a case and a screen protector. But why mock people who want to protect their phone from other accidents?
    11-03-2015 04:39 PM
    I'm not mocking anyone. I'm saying that maintaining awareness, to the same level you would crossing the street or something similar to that, is as effective for this situation as a case is for the other one.

Putting the pen in backwards is that much of a non-issue.

We may as well discuss how to prevent the phone from being struck by lightning while we're at it.
    kj11 likes this.
    11-03-2015 04:42 PM
    Call me smug if you want, but like I said... it's expensive, so I pay attention.

I do have a screen protector and case, because outside influences can cause a phone to be scratched, or knocked off a table, etc.

There are no outside influences that can cause me to put the pen in backwards.
    I don't put my phone on the edge of tables where it is going to get knocked off. Call me smug, but with an expensive device like this, I pay attention. I mean, how hard is it to look where the edge of the table is?
    11-03-2015 04:43 PM
    I'm not mocking anyone. I'm saying that maintaining awareness, to the same level you would crossing the street or something similar to that, is as effective for this situation as a case is for the other one.

Putting the pen in backwards is that much of a non-issue.
    Are you really suggesting that you are as careful with your S-Pen as you are with your life crossing the road? Is there some reason you are not careful about not dropping your phone?
    11-03-2015 04:45 PM
    I'm not understanding how saying pay attention to what you are doing is condescending . if you don't want to to ruin your phone you need be careful and make sure you're inserting the pen in the right direction.. The only way I see someone putting the pen in incorrectly is if they are drunk or in the dark.
    kj11 likes this.
    11-03-2015 04:53 PM
    But it is kind of impossible to put your pants on upside down. If, say, the legs and waste were all the same size, I'm sure it would happen on occasion. It isn't crazy to imagine someone grabbing the pen and phone while thinking about something else and just pushing it home.
    I don't know, both ends of the SPen are different too, one has a point, one is round.
    11-03-2015 04:55 PM
    I'm not understanding how saying pay attention to what you are doing is condescending.
    Because it presumes that the individual doesn't already understand the obvious. Look at the original post. It states that the poster is concerned about "accidents". Telling him/her to "pay attention" is ignoring the question all together to make yourself feel clever in some way.
    11-03-2015 04:58 PM
28 12