Modding the s-pen to prevent backwards insertion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAMRESU

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
So far so good...but accidents happen.

What's the best way to stop this going in backwards?

-Trim the edges of the pen?

-Glue a fob on the end so it's physically impossible to put it in backwards?

-Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
After reading the various threads, I have personally thought it may be good to glue a pencil eraser on the end of the pen. I have the Otterbox Defender case, and the spen is roughly 3/16" of an inch inset from the case. So, I could actually attach a slightly larger diameter eraser on the end of the spen, and it wouldn't be sticking out from the case and catching on things. I just haven't got around to it yet, but very feasible. Plus, you would have a spen that would look unique.

If you do something, make sure it is flexible, as you will want to be a "failure point", and let the eraser break off before the pen breaks.

My personal solution (so far) has been to purchase a replacement pen, just in case. :-$

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone was joking
Truth.

I also check before gassing up to make sure I'm not pumping diesel, verify a wire isn't "hot" before messing with it, and make sure there are no obstructions before holstering my gun.

Basically, if it can damage me or something expensive I own, I make sure to pay attention to what I'm doing. Saves pain and money that way.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
After getting my note 5 and hearing about the s pen "issue" , I have no idea how anyone could put it in backwards.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not overly concerned, but there is always that rare, random screw-up that can happen. I mostly worry I'll let someone play with my phone, and they will insert the pen backwards.

It would be cool if there was a simple, nice looking mod that could prevent the possibility.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Use your brain. I liken this to putting on your pants. They go on one way, you probably have never tried to put them on upside down....

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Use your brain. I liken this to putting on your pants. They go on one way, you probably have never tried to put them on upside down....

But it is kind of impossible to put your pants on upside down. If, say, the legs and waste were all the same size, I'm sure it would happen on occasion. It isn't crazy to imagine someone grabbing the pen and phone while thinking about something else and just pushing it home.

ENAMRESU

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Some of you are pretty darn condescending / smug. Maybe it's an anonymity thing that turns you guys into the hot favorite at the local open mic night.

Thanks to the people who offered advice, i have a few ideas now.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Some of you are pretty darn condescending / smug. Maybe it's an anonymity thing that turns you guys into the hot favorite at the local open mic night.

Thanks to the people who offered advice, i have a few ideas now.

I know. While I am not especially worried myself, I don't understand the condescension.

Do these folk flood the screen protector thread to tell people to use their brains and just not scratch their screens? Do they flood the case threads to tell people to pay attention instead of dropping their phones?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I know. While I am not especially worried myself, I don't understand the condescension.

Do these folk flood the screen protector thread to tell people to use their brains and just not scratch their screens? Do they flood the case threads to tell people to pay attention instead of dropping their phones?
Except for the fact that scratches on the screen or damages from drops are a risk with a much higher probability of happening. You can be a very careful and observant user and something can still happen to damage the phone. Just like being a very careful driver may not always prevent an accident, so it's a good idea to wear your seat belt every time you drive.

Not putting the pen in backwards is a simple matter of situational awareness and is as effective as anything else discussed here. Every article out there that has tried to make a big deal of this has said "it's only a small fraction of instances."

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site

Call me smug if you want, but like I said... it's expensive, so I pay attention.

I do have a screen protector and case, because outside influences can cause a phone to be scratched, or knocked off a table, etc.

There are no outside influences that can cause me to put the pen in backwards.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There have already been numerous threads on this forum about the spen being inserted backwards.

Just because numerous people don't have an issue with inserting the spen in backwards doesn't mean someone is being condescending nor that they don't have just as much right and reason to post their view.

Yes, it is a phone that costs hundreds of dollars, be careful with it. The spen issue was a non-issue. Almost all incidences of it happening were people that intentionally inserted their spen backwards when they heard about it.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Except for the fact that scratches on the screen or damages from drops are a risk with a much higher probability of happening. You can be a very careful and observant user and something can still happen to damage the phone. Just like being a very careful driver may not always prevent an accident, so it's a good idea to wear your seat belt every time you drive.

Not putting the pen in backwards is a simple matter of situational awareness and is as effective as anything else discussed here. Every article out there that has tried to make a big deal of this has said "it's only a small fraction of instances."

Well, fine. If you don't care enough, or are not observant enough, to keep your phone safe, then you should indeed use a case and a screen protector. But why mock people who want to protect their phone from other accidents?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not mocking anyone. I'm saying that maintaining awareness, to the same level you would crossing the street or something similar to that, is as effective for this situation as a case is for the other one.

Putting the pen in backwards is that much of a non-issue.

We may as well discuss how to prevent the phone from being struck by lightning while we're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.