Rhinoshield Crash Guard- Minimum case, maximum protection

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Just (finally) received my Crash Guard bumper case for my Black Note5.

It provides protection from up to 11.5 feet, but leaves the front and back of the Note5 exposed, and adds the absolute minimum amount to your Note5!

I have about five other cases (I know, I know...) and what I notice about all of them is, when I take one of them off, after having it on my device for a few weeks, the first thing that goes through my mind is..."man.. is the Note5 THIN!"...

Trouble is, put almost any case on the Note5, and it no longer is as thin, or as light!. There are some cases that are very thin, but then you really don't have much in the way of protection!

The Crash Guard, by Rhinoshield, comes in Red, White and Blue. I went with the Blue, as I really didn't want it to be that noticeable on my device, and as it happens, the blue matches the color of the Black Note5 nearly perfectly! My wife and daughter both own IPhones, one an IPhone 6 and one an IPhone 6 Plus, and I purchased Crash Guards for both of their phones, and they've been very pleased with their case. The iPhone Crash Guards offer many more color selections, and the Crash Guards for the iPhones are in two tone, while the one I received is all in a dark blue.

The case has nice texture which gives it decent grip, so I don't find it nearly as slippery as when the phone is naked. Rhinoshield has also thoughtfully extended the lip around the very top of the case (see photo), so that when you set your phone down face up, on a table, the camera lens is protected and doesn't touch the surface the phone is sitting on!

As I mentioned, front and back both remain exposed, however, Rhinoshield does offer a screen protector for the front of your Note5 which is supposed to add significant protection. It sells for $25, or $45 if bundled with the Crash Guard. The Crash Guard by itself goes for $25, with a 15% discount currently being offered. I passed on the front screen protector as I already have a screen protector I'm very satisfied with.

Buttons are all covered with buttons built into the case, and all openings align perfectly! The stylus is very easy to remove and re-insert.

I previously added a skin to the back of my Note5, because I get tired of the fingerprints that appear all over the back, and also because it makes the Note5 less slippery. The Crash Guard slips on without any problem, even with the skin on the back of my Note5.

Overall, I think I've found the case I'll be sticking with for most of the time! Love how thin the phone is with this bumper guard on it.

Crash Guard.PNGCrash Guard Back.PNG

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Trouble is, put almost any case on the Note5, and it no longer is as thin, or as light!. There are some cases that are very thin, but then you really don't have much in the way of protection!
We'll just have to wait until they come out with something as tough as Kevlar, with the shock resistance of jello and the thickness of printer paper.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Is there anyway you can snap a handful of photos from different angles and lighting? The default product photos don't really seem to show off the bumper. If you can, that would be awesome. And thanks for the review.

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Hmm to be honest, it is much nicer than I expected. I'm actually on the fence if should order this or the aluminum bumper by Ginmic. But I do kind of like how the rhinoshield bumper is contoured to accommodate for the protruding camera bezel. I'm just curious if that additional thickness will make the N5 just a tad bit awkward to hold in landscape mode. Decisions, decisions...

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I do kind of like how the rhinoshield bumper is contoured to accommodate for the protruding camera bezel. I'm just curious if that additional thickness will make the N5 just a tad bit awkward to hold in landscape mode

It is contoured at the bottom of the bumper guard, as well, but not nearly as far back. I doubt you're going to have any issues with holding it, due to the contour... it is barely perceptible.

What really attracted me to the Crash Guard are the reviews on YouTube, where people drop their iPhones and S6's, with Crash Guards, from waist height all the way up to 11 feet, onto concrete, granite, pavers, etc. and there is NO damage to their phone! Evolutive, the company that developed this bumper, has developed a new technique that gives it much greater protection for your phone, while keeping it thin and lightweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12