Note 5 embarrassed me today - easy way to silence all?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
As I read this I couldn't help but think "I bet there's an app for that" and sure enough, several. I may have to try one myself. This reminded me how much I loved having the profiles on Blackberry. The few apps I looked at also come with widgets.

Have you tried any apps from the play store? If so, which are your favorites?

Posted via the Android Central App

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
One of the managers in my office stopped using his iPad and instead uses an old fashioned pen and notebook because people didn't think he was paying attention in meetings.

Posted via the *Note 5*

I mean for the OP, this seems like the perfect "Karma" and to pay attention during meetings lol. But seems like they learned their lesson and hopefully won't happen again.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
When you're putting it into vibrate, just hit the little gear on the volume control and silence media from there. It's not ideal, but it's only one more step and takes 2 seconds.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Idk...I just pull down the notification shade and tap..."do not disturb "...
Pretty easy... Am I missing something??

Nvincible

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I think a few of you are being a little hard on the OP. I can see that happening. I totally did not know that the media volume didn't lower along with the others.
What exactly can make the media go off? Would it have to be an app that I opened and used right then? I would totally shrivel up and die if my phone went off in church or something like that! I always just turn down my volume all the way and figured that was enough.

Sapient

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Do No Disturb does not silence media. I suppose the assumption is that if you are choosing to open media, you are choosing to hear it. Do Not Disturb prevents the phone from making noise without your immediate participation.

upstownal

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
And for those of you guys having problems. You are aware you can simply press your volume button, click the gear icon on the volume popup(settings), and then it will bring up your ringer, media, notifications, and system volume sliders. Pretty fast and easy to change your volume levels.

Thanks, that I did not know, easy, peasy now.

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
...you can simply press your volume button, click the gear icon on the volume popup(settings), and then it will bring up your ringer, media, notifications, and system volume sliders. Pretty fast and easy to change your volume levels.
But not nearly as fast and easy as simply flipping a physical switch on the side of the phone (like on the iPhone).

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Would be nice to have an option in sound settings to toggle. Or ohhhh maybe clicking the volumr button down can control media while long press controls the ringer.. (HEAR THAT GOOGLE) the people speak! Lol

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I wish Tasker had a "for dummies" version. Too complicated for.me.

Yes, it can be complicated. I just played with it til I figured it out.
You can google Tasker profiles to see some things people are doing.

You can also look into the my profiles app.

gspam1

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to be burned by my Note 5, but I sorely miss the hardware silence button on my old Palm Treos.

Now it's take you phone out, unlock it, hold a volume key, tap on Settings, silence all sounds. Slow and painful.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to be burned by my Note 5, but I sorely miss the hardware silence button on my old Palm Treos.

Now it's take you phone out, unlock it, hold a volume key, tap on Settings, silence all sounds. Slow and painful.
Volume Ace, as previously mentioned, is a great app. You can set up sound profiles with one-touch toggles, or set it up to open the app where you can select the desired profile if you prefer.

I have Home, Work, Mute, and Loud profiles set up on mine.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Volume Ace, as previously mentioned, is a great app. You can set up sound profiles with one-touch toggles, or set it up to open the app where you can select the desired profile if you prefer.

I have Home, Work, Mute, and Loud profiles set up on mine.
Sounds good. Any popups?