Upgrading from Galaxy S4?

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Currently looking to upgrade from the S4. Other than a brief period between updates about a year ago when I was having massive battery drain the phone was my favorite out of all the smart phones I've ever had due to the combination of size/performance/customization options. My wife wanted me to switch back to iPhone and so I gave it a shot. However, I am now finding myself incredibly bored by the lack of freedom I have to tweak anything and have an itch to return my current iPhone 6S (despite it's very impressive battery life) and get one of the new Galaxy's.

That brings me to my question:

I would have loved to switch right to an S6 since it felt like the natural progression. However, the abundance of complaints about the battery life have me very concerned about being constantly annoyed by running out of battery at bad times. My coworker showed me his Note 5 and I was quite impressed by just about everything about it. Has anyone made that switch from the S4/S5? I'm concerned I will find the phone to be too big for using daily, but am strongly considering getting one. I'm curious to get other people's perspective on this. I still feel like the ~5 inch screen is the sweet spot for size, but am willing to give this a go if a lot of other people were happy and don't find themselves running into problems with such a large phone.

Thanks in advance.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Currently looking to upgrade from the S4. Other than a brief period between updates about a year ago when I was having massive battery drain the phone was my favorite out of all the smart phones I've ever had due to the combination of size/performance/customization options. My wife wanted me to switch back to iPhone and so I gave it a shot. However, I am now finding myself incredibly bored by the lack of freedom I have to tweak anything and have an itch to return my current iPhone 6S (despite it's very impressive battery life) and get one of the new Galaxy's.

I would have loved to switch right to an S6 since it felt like the natural progression. However, the abundance of complaints about the battery life have me very concerned about being constantly annoyed by running out of battery at bad times. My coworker showed me his Note 5 and I was quite impressed by just about everything about it. Has anyone made that switch from the S4/S5? I'm concerned I will find the phone to be too big for using daily, but am strongly considering getting one. I'm curious to get other people's perspective on this. I still feel like the ~5 inch screen is the sweet spot for size, but am willing to give this a go if a lot of other people were happy and don't find themselves running into problems with such a large phone.

Thanks in advance.

I've used all the Samsungs. I went from the S3 to Note 1 and then quickly to a Note 2. Even though I've had the S5 and S6 Edge, I still get all the Notes and really stick with them. Most really get used to the larger screen and prefer it.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just moved to the Note 5 from the S4 two days ago. Huge positive difference and upgrade! The added ram, faster processor and overall newer technology has made the transition an easy one.

It did take some time to tweak and set up the phone and all its protocols but the Note 5 is definitely worth it.

The battery is lasting much longer than the S4 and I also bought an extra higher speed wall and car chargers and an extra external quick charge battery and cables. No removable battery! I had five with the S4.

So far, so good with the Note 5!

Good luck with your choice.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I moved from the S4 to my Note 5 and haven't looked back. Funny thing... when I first got the N5 I remember saying dang, this thing is HUGE! I handle and activate new cell phones almost every day and now the S4, S5, iPhones all seem to have such TINY screens, lol.

It's a huge improvement over the S4, in so many ways.

rpdc

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Jesse,

I went from the S4 to the Note 5 one month ago. Loved my S4 but wanted a larger screen. This Note 5 is incredible. Feels really good in the hand and you'll get used to the size in no time. Very fast and smooth. I used Nova Prime on the S4 but with the Note 5 I really like TouchWiz.
I highly recommend this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy Note 5

cad70

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I went from S4 to the Note 5 and love it. Bigger and performs better.
Since I dont have 10 posts, I cant post a link: Search this text on youtube for 100 reasons to buy...the author is Techisode TV.
"100+ Reasons To Buy The Galaxy Note 5!"

CD

rpdc

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
Cad70,

That is a great video on the Note 5. I was amazed of what this phone can do. That guy nailed it.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy Note 5

wricks

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Had my S4 for over 2 years but pulled the trigger on the N5 this last Sunday. Believe me, you won't regret the change. This phablet is an amazing piece of hardware!

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
I switched from s5 to the note 4, I feel in love with the big screen. It's a lot easier to watch movies on.

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like everyone responding was happy with the move - perhaps that is to be expected in the Note 5 forum.

Are people finding the 32GB is enough? I'd love to save $100 but not sure if most people think that's too little hard drive space.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like everyone responding was happy with the move - perhaps that is to be expected in the Note 5 forum.

Are people finding the 32GB is enough? I'd love to save $100 but not sure if most people think that's too little hard drive space.

I opted for the 64GB model and don't regret the extra cost. I would also note (pun intended) that with the new storage OTG devices, such as this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RBGYGPG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00} that plug directly into the phone makes the lack of removable storage is a non-issue IMO. Further, the internal memory in the Note 5 is many times faster than the fastest microSD card.

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the S4 which I too like very much but the new S6 and Note 5 are huge improvements over the S4.
If you can go with the bigger size of the Note 5, I would highly recommend it. Although it is bigger than the S6, it actually doesn't feel that much bigger due to the curved back edges which makes it feel kinda smaller. Either phone will be a big improvement in the feel and smoothness so go for it. And yeah, the iPhone is boring.

JessePinkman

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know of any good cross platform apps that would provide the same functionality as iMessage for videos. Disappointed to realize that Hangouts allows for most of the functionality except for sending video, which I assume I will want to use more once my kid is born.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463