Is anyone else switching to the V10 from the Note 5?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the Nexus 6 and upgraded to the V10 last week. 2 things about the V10 that made me switch from it to the Note 5 are:
1. flimsy power button.
2. V10 Screen color is faded and Not correct. The note 5 colors set to basic is the most accurate. Simply compare the screens side by side and u will see how much better the note 5 is. This has nothing to do with note 5 over saturated colors.
3. In hand feel of note 5 is much better. Note 5 has the higher screen to body ratio.

Actually, the AMOLED cinema is the most accurate mode on the Note 5.

The power button is a bit wiggly on the V10 but I don't feel like it's going to break.

I can't speak to the accuracy of the color on the V10 (don't have the means to test it), but faded isn't a word I would use to describe it. Looking at it next to the iPad Mini 4 it looks a bit over saturated (red is too red, blue is too blue), and white has a slight blue tint to it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I had the g4 and the rear Power button and fps doesn't work for me as I use my phone on my desk a lot. There were also other performance and touchscreen issues which may have been resolved, but regardless the rear buttons and fps is a no go for me

I use my G3 on my desk, too, but with tap on I never (or rarely) use the power button at all. Simply not an issue.

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
No, I will not switch. Other than the beautiful screen and the plethora of features that the Note 5 offers the S-Pen is the main reason for me coming back time and time again to the Note series.

Samsung absolutely nailed it with the Note 5 as there's nothing else like it.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So I have a Note 5 which i have used since launch day. Love the phone but its very slippery. Not a huge fan of the AMOLED screens but wanted to get away from iOS. Also not much use for me and the Stylus.

This weekend i played with the V10 and the rubbery feel of the phone and screen quality seemed great. I was thinking of selling my note 5 (32gb) and getting the V10. The V10, liked screen quality, the feel of phone, and expandable memory/battery.

Curios if anyone on here thought of switching or giving the V10 a shot?

It's kinda like going from Colin Kapernick to Blaine Gabbert....

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That would be A HUGE(Donald Trump's voice) mistake whoever does it. Take away the removable battery and SD card and what's left? Nothing special in my opinion

Posted via the Android Central App

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If the battery is similar to the g4 I wouldn't use it if someone gave it to me. The note 5 has the best battery of any android phone I've used.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I use my G3 on my desk, too, but with tap on I never (or rarely) use the power button at all. Simply not an issue.
I couldn't get the double tap to turn on to work reliably in either the Verizon or h815 models. Usually required 3 to 4 taps

The double tap of notification bar to lock didn't work reliably either

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Its saturated to the point where it causes eye strain over time.

AGREED!!

Amoled screens are VERY NICE to look at but if you plan on watching a movie or reading an ebook for more than an hour, don't be surprised if you get some eye strain/fatigue. IPS screens are much easier to look at for prolonged periods of time because of their muted (non-saturated) colors.

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I tried the V10 yesterday...was between that and the Note 5 upgrading from the Note 3. Went with the Note 5 buy I have 6 days to change my mind.
To me, I prefer the more manageable size of the Note 5 but I like to keep my phones caseless and the Note 5 scares me without a case while the V10 does not. I have young kids who will likely eventually drop my phone so part of me thinks the V10 caseless looks and feels better than the Note 5 in a case and keeping the Note 5 naked just scares me with all of the glass. I thought the V10 would feel a bit crappy but it actually feels nice...I prefer the SPen to the V10 features and the Note seems to have better battery (though I can't change it when it wears out), I prefer the camera on the Samsung, and I have the 64GB note which should hold me over without the need for extra storage.
I think I'm going to hang on to the Note but I love that the V10 seems durable without looking and feeling like a less premium or stylish device. I still would prefer a leather back option on the V10 to the rubber (looks wise) but it wasn't that bad looking at all.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
AGREED!!

Amoled screens are VERY NICE to look at but if you plan on watching a movie or reading an ebook for more than an hour, don't be surprised if you get some eye strain/fatigue. IPS screens are much easier to look at for prolonged periods of time because of their muted (non-saturated) colors.

Sigh....that is a generalization that just can't be made. All screens can be calibrated. In fact, the G4 screen is calibrated to be over saturated, while there are modes on the Note 5 that are NOT over saturated.

You can have displays of both technologies that are accurately calibrated and wouldn't cause eye strain because of over saturation. The iPhone is a great example of this for LCD, and the Note 5 for AMOLED.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sigh....that is a generalization that just can't be made. All screens can be calibrated. In fact, the G4 screen is calibrated to be over saturated, while there are modes on the Note 5 that are NOT over saturated.

You can have displays of both technologies that are accurately calibrated and wouldn't cause eye strain because of over saturation. The iPhone is a great example of this for LCD, and the Note 5 for AMOLED.
^^ yep.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and about to upgrade. Been looking at the two and I think I'd much rather have the V10.

Also has professional grade ESS DAC/Amp for superior audio through headphones and an sd card and removable battery for all of my music, tv, movies, pictures/camera videos :D

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My best pal has an upgrade coming. So, I went to check out the LG and Turbo yesterday. I really liked the materials on the V10, much more so than the Note. To me, the slippery glass is just silly and pointless. So, in that regard, I preferred the LG.

The secondary display is a marginally useful gimmick. It is probably fun, but I don't really see the point. To some extent, I also feel the same way about the pen in the Note, keyboard on the priv, and shatterproof screen on the Turbo though.

The V10 felt huge and unwieldy to me. It's only a bit larger than the Note but nowhere near as ergonomic. It handles like the Nexus 6 or iPhone +. It's a brick. And, it will only get worse when you have to add a Qi back (qi capable, but not built in). The size would be a total deal-breaker for me.

In terms of guts, I think the Note has it beat in virtually every regard (cpu, memory speed).

The removable battery and SD cards are very nice though.

I dislike LG's skin about as much as I dislike touchwhiz (which is a lot). But, I'd rock nova on either, so who cares? I don't know if the LG has skins of any kind (which, at least on the Note, restore the vanilla feel).

Overall, I'd say the V10 is probably the best alternative to the Note on the market. But, I'd definitely stick with the more easily handled Note, and I am confident that the V10 will sell poorly.

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Not trying to speak for the OP, but it seems to me he doesn't care for the AMOLED screen. There is a difference between IPS no matter how many adjustments you make on either side. I am someone who is split. Sometimes I like the deep blacks of Amoled and sometimes I like the softer more natural colors of a good IPS. Some of you are convinced that Amoled is the best, period. I don't think that is right, it is a personal preference thing and I can see both sides.

But with that said, it seems to me, his bigger issue was with how slippery the phone is. A case is the obvious choice here, which unless he lives under a rock, I am sure he has considered. And again, he might be one of those people who like the beauty of what a manufacturer designs and feels a phone should be designed in a way that makes it secure to hold, without a case. I am one of those people. I don't like cases. I understand I risk damage, but only to a point. If I buy a phone and it feels way to slippery, I buy a case because I am forced to protect my investment, but then I start regretting my phone purchase, because I don't like cases and start to look for a different phone.

The V10 may very well be the phone for him. I feel confident it is a good no case phone. And I would consider one, but it is just to large of a phone for me.

sofryj

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you're on the fence, just waiting to get a hands on, you'll be sold. This is one satisfying phone to hold. I just feels good.....

wgragg

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I did find a font that helped a little, but unfortunately, nothing seems to be able to allow for changing the font size on the home screen. I will probably live with it, but Samsung really needs to add that option, otherwise, it is not completely ADA compliant. I do love the rest of the phone, though.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I did find a font that helped a little, but unfortunately, nothing seems to be able to allow for changing the font size on the home screen. I will probably live with it, but Samsung really needs to add that option, otherwise, it is not completely ADA compliant. I do love the rest of the phone, though.

You might want to look at the Nova Prime launcher. You can control the icon sizes and the font sizes of the labels. It also works on any Android phone.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 3 and about to upgrade. Been looking at the two and I think I'd much rather have the V10.

Also has professional grade ESS DAC/Amp for superior audio through headphones and an sd card and removable battery for all of my music, tv, movies, pictures/camera videos :D

Note 5 has DAC as well if I'm not mistaken. They just don't advertise it for some reason.

Posted via the modest yet efficient Lenovo Tab 2 A8 50f

DEVICE HISTORY (since they got smart)
PHONES: Galaxy Nexus, LG viper, Galaxy s3, HTC Evo 4g, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy s5, LG G-Flex, Galaxy Mega 6.3, Galaxy s6 edge, Galaxy Note 5. TABLETS: Galaxy Note 10.1 gt-n8013, Galaxy tab 3 7.0. Lenovo tab2 A8 50 WATCH: Galaxy gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol