International Unlocked issues in USA

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Does any have experience and or knowledge about the quality and function of International Unlocked Note 5's being used inside the U.S.?

I am on MetroPCS and have just sent an international unlocked phone back in for a refund, and am trying to figure out if they are problematic or if the one i had was just an unlucky defective phone. I noteced that the prices for them have dropped like $100 on Amazon. This is promting me to wonder if they are all problematic.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The 'problem' with those is that they're usually built for European and some American regions, meaning that the frequencies US carriers decided to use for their communications aren't always fully compatible with these 'International' phones. Generally speaking, they usually work well with voice, most of the time with 3G, but 4G/LTE connectivity might vary according to each phone and carrier you're trying to use it in.

International Unlocked phones also have the 'advantage' of coming straight from the vendor (i.e. Samsung, HTC, etc.), which means updates come from them and don't have to go through the carrier additionally. They also have much less bloatware since carriers don't 'touch' them. Unless you're buying a carrier-branded phone that's been unlocked by code...that's something different.

pinkvikchick

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I bought an international off ebay (was the "i" version, which is Australian) - but before I did I looked up the bands my carrier needed and what the "i" version had, and it worked perfectly. I believe I found all that info by googling and on this site.

PS...I've since gone to the AT&T version (more memory) and I have to say the international one ran WAYYYYyyyyy smoother than this AT&T version.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Carrier-branded phones not only have bloatware and carrier tweaks to their software, especially in the US, they can also have different hardware (usually nothing major, most likely the bands and radios it can support, but still). Also remember that carrier phones that have been unlocked usually restrict updates to having a SIM card from the same carrier inserted, and AT&T is notorious for this.

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I just sent my sm - n920g back to the seller for a refund. Ive noticed some of the "i"s selling for $100 less than what i paid for the "g".

I found some page that said "i" is for Singapore, Australia, and i forget what else. The "g" and the "f" were speculated to be European (?), dont know where.
*correction the "g" seemsto be Korean.

Im on MetroPCS. The phone i had did not get very good reception compaired to the $150 metro LG im using now.

I sent the phone back because it was defective, and now I'm trying to decide if i want to try the note 5 again, nexus 6, nexus 6P, LG V10...

Last edited:

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I bought an international off ebay (was the "i" version, which is Australian) - but before I did I looked up the bands my carrier needed and what the "i" version had, and it worked perfectly. I believe I found all that info by googling and on this site.

PS...I've since gone to the AT&T version (more memory) and I have to say the international one ran WAYYYYyyyyy smoother than this AT&T version.

Where you using the sm-n920i on AT&T, I'm assuming?

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Im trying to figure out which international version will work best on MetroPCS. Whenever i try to google the bandwidths for the T-Mobile network i get conflicting info. I am not having any luck finding any of the bandwiths for sm-n920i or g...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Frequencies may vary on the same carrier depending on the region you're in, and of you're in an "updated" area or not. Best bet is to call them or check their websites.

DamienP

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Carrier-branded phones not only have bloatware and carrier tweaks to their software, especially in the US, they can also have different hardware (usually nothing major, most likely the bands and radios it can support, but still). Also remember that carrier phones that have been unlocked usually restrict updates to having a SIM card from the same carrier inserted, and AT&T is notorious for this.

So if i find an unlocked sm-n920t (tmobile), i might not be able to get uppdated? I would be using metropcs sim and service, on the T-Mobile network, with T-Mobile phone that is unlocked.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So if i find an unlocked sm-n920t (tmobile), i might not be able to get uppdated? I would be using metropcs sim and service, on the T-Mobile network, with T-Mobile phone that is unlocked.

You can update a Samsung through Smart Switch, at Best Buy or borrow a SIM card from someone or buy a prepaid and insert it and update.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I haven't heard of T-Mobile doing that to their phones, but I could be wrong. I've seen a few AT&T ones that unless you have the SIM card, it just won't see the OTA update and sometimes it takes a while for it to see it through Kies.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of T-Mobile doing that to their phones, but I could be wrong. I've seen a few AT&T ones that unless you have the SIM card, it just won't see the OTA update and sometimes it takes a while for it to see it through Kies.

Oh with AT&T you have to have an AT&T SIM or use Kies or Best Buy to update.

How does a TMO update OTA if I was using it on AT&T? How could the TMO unlocked phone connect to TMO servers to download the update if there is another carrier's SIM in it?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've never used a T-Mobile unlocked phone, but then again, the ones I've seen reports of not being able to update unless the SIM is in are AT&T's.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never used a T-Mobile unlocked phone, but then again, the ones I've seen reports of not being able to update unless the SIM is in are AT&T's.

I don't understand how any carrier phone unlocked and used on another carrier, is able to update OTA. Since the update comes from the carrier, you have to connect to that carrier server. I guess some might allow the phone to connect to their servers when they are connected to WiFi.

But yeah, AT&T doesn't allow it. They won't even update if your phone is connected to WiFi and you have a non-activated AT&T SIM in the phone.