From iPhone back to the Note,,, life is good again

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My history, I've owned every model of iPhone ever made (except the 5c) and have also owned all of the Notes, 1, 2, 3 and 4.
When the iPhone 6S came out I had to get that one as well (I'm a total phone junkie) anyhow, today I traded in my 128gb 6S for a new Note 5 and life is now great again.
Never say never but I don't see myself ever getting another iPhone.
Cheers
Davyo

SinfulDroid

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
You say this now, but we all know you will be getting the iPhone 7 in a years time. The phone junkie inside you is too powerful to resist. :)

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I do the same thing going each year almost. Just the way it is. I had the Note 5 then got the 6S Plus. That lasted about a month. Decided to get the Note again. Very happy getting it again. You can do so much more with the phone and love the features. Just have to get over that damn imessage hump and I'll be fine. Have had the Note almost a week now and haven't thought about imessage so it's a good sign lol. Pic messages have actually been totally clear with my wife and her iPhone. My Pics go to her nice and clear. I'm using the stock messaging app. Only if I zoom in a bit they start to get distorted.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
As a life-long iPhone guy who never used Android but is considering a switch to the Note 5, this is a good thread to stumble upon. :)

The only thing the new iPhone does better than the Note 5 is slo mo video,, for slo mo video the iPhone rocks,, but that's about it.
Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I do the same thing going each year almost. Just the way it is. I had the Note 5 then got the 6S Plus. That lasted about a month. Decided to get the Note again. Very happy getting it again. You can do so much more with the phone and love the features. Just have to get over that damn imessage hump and I'll be fine. Have had the Note almost a week now and haven't thought about imessage so it's a good sign lol. Pic messages have actually been totally clear with my wife and her iPhone. My Pics go to her nice and clear. I'm using the stock messaging app. Only if I zoom in a bit they start to get distorted.

I have an iPad Air 2 and a mini iPad so I still get to use iMessage and FaceTime, for the record I love my iPads, more than my Samsung tablets,,,, but for a phone, the Note 5 kills the new iPhone.
Cheers
Davyo

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
The only thing the new iPhone does better than the Note 5 is slo mo video,, for slo mo video the iPhone rocks,, but that's about it.
Luckily I don't use slo-mo too often. The things holding me back are:
1) iMessage. Not having it will be rough.
2) Size. I'm concerned that the Note 5 might be too big/uncomfortable in my pocket (when sitting) once I put a decent drop-protection case on the phone.

sergiu.m

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately Imessage is a big thing with all of us, damn apple made it so good ..
I have switched for almost a month now and really started to enjoy this phone.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me the fascination with IMessage? I really don't understand. I know you can see when someone read your message but there has to be more to it than that because that feature really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me the fascination with IMessage? I really don't understand. I know you can see when someone read your message but there has to be more to it than that because that feature really doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

No compression of pics. Full resolution. Full HD Videos. No carriers involved etc. Facetime is great also. Its just that reg SMS and iMessage is integrated into the single app. No seperate App is needed. Its nice when you have many iOS contacts like I did. If you don't then its no a big deal.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
No compression of pics. Full resolution. Full HD Videos. No carriers involved etc. Facetime is great also. Its just that reg SMS and iMessage is integrated into the single app. No seperate App is needed. Its nice when you have many iOS contacts like I did. If you don't then its no a big deal.

Hangouts?

Posted via the Android Central App

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
No compression of pics. Full resolution. Full HD Videos.
Plus things like Group Texts when everyone in the group has iMessage. Also, the ability to text people that have iPads is nice, especially with family members that only have iPads. Sure there are other apps that can be used for some of the things mentioned, but not everyone wants to use a different app just for you (if they even remember to).

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
As the OP of this thread perhaps I should mention "some" the reasons that made me dump my new iPhone 6s for the Note 5.

Note 5, wifi and cellular calling, iphone can only do one or the other but not both at the same time.
Note 5, 16x9 widescreen still photos, iPhone takes old school 4x3 ratio still shots.
Note 5, records video in stereo, iphone still records video in mono.
Note 5, works flawlessly with speech to text, Iphone speech to text is really bad.
Note 5, bigger better screen with smaller lighter phone, iphone, smaller screen with massive bezels making the phone bigger, heavier and harder to hold.
Note 5, the S pen is a biggie that I really missed.
Note 5, for me, better consistent still photo quality especially in low light, iphone, many of my 4x3 still shots looked like I was shooting thru a mist of fine smoke in med to low light (iPhones have always done that).
Note 5, I'm back to 5 full bars and LTE and noticeably better call quality in my house, iphone, never more than one bar and never any LTE at home.
Note 5, fast charging, iphone, semi slow charging.
Note 5, private mode, iphone, need to download and use photo vault or something similar.
Note 5, big contact pictures, iphone tiny little to small to really mater contact pictures.

Anyhow, those are just a sample of "some" of my reasons for coming back to the Note series from iphone,,,,,, and I'm not bashing the iphone, even with all the things the iphone can't do or does badly I still think it's the second best phone to be had, it's just not as good as the Note 5 or the Galaxy S6 series of phones.

2 things I will miss about the the iPhone 6s, better OIS when shooting video and amazing video Slo Mo, in those to areas the iphone is definitely better than the Note 5,,, but really, that's about it.

Yes, the iphone does have more pros than I am mentioning, but so does the Note 5.

And if anyone thinks I'm just Apple bashing I'm not, I absolutely LOVE my iPads and use them constantly (I'm typing this on my Air 2), but my Samsung tablets almost never get used,

And I do very much plan on buying the iPad Pro that comes out this week, I totally can't wait to get that !!!

iPad apps are optimized for tablet use and iMovie rules for video editing, Android apps are just for the most part blown up phone apps and Android still has yet to come out with a video editor that can compete with iMovie.

Ok, that's my rant.

Cheers
Davyo

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Basically what DX9 said. I mainly liked it for the video sending -- it kept the HD quality. Other than that it is the same as SMS for me. Pictures never have been degraded via MMS for me -- Just video.

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You say this now, but we all know you will be getting the iPhone 7 in a years time. The phone junkie inside you is too powerful to resist. :)

Very funny,, and perhaps true,, I better watch what I say about iPhones, my phone junkie DNA might have me checking out the iPhone 7 when that comes out.
There are many things to like about iPhones and I keep waiting for the iPhone to be better than the Samsung's but iPhone always seems to lag more than a few steps behind Samsung.
3D force touch is iPhones big new thing, the Note series has had that with the S pen for quite a while, and the list goes on.
Apples BIGGEST mistake ever was sticking to that small 3.5" and 4" screen size for so long while bigger than 4" screens became common place, Apples stick to the small screen form factor for so long really hurt Apple and everyone jumped off the Apple ship to get bigger screen phones and that opened up the floodgates of so many dumping their iPhones, with that single mistake, Apple made Android and Samsung as popular as they are today.
Now Apple is playing catch up with their bigger screens but it's to little too late I think as far as getting back to where they used to be.
Ohh well, that's just my opinion.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Luckily I don't use slo-mo too often. The things holding me back are:
1) iMessage. Not having it will be rough.
2) Size. I'm concerned that the Note 5 might be too big/uncomfortable in my pocket (when sitting) once I put a decent drop-protection case on the phone.

Everyone for the most part gets used to the size of a Note or an iPhone 6 Plus very quickly, with that being said the Note 5 is very much noticeably smaller and easier to use than the 6 Plus.
The bigger phones do seem intimidating at first but after a week of ownership they feel quite normal.
If the Note size does not work for you the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are basically the same phone as the Note 5, just smaller and no S pen.
And if you have an iPad you still get to use iMessage and FaceTime (that's what I do).

Cheers
Davyo

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Everyone for the most part gets used to the size of a Note or an iPhone 6 Plus very quickly, with that being said the Note 5 is very much noticeably smaller and easier to use than the 6 Plus.
The bigger phones do seem intimidating at first but after a week of ownership they feel quite normal.
Good stuff. Thanks very much.

If the Note size does not work for you the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are basically the same phone as the Note 5, just smaller and no S pen.
I'm pretty intrigued by the S-Pen. I'm honestly not sure how much I'd use it, but I think I want it. :)

Davyo

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Good stuff. Thanks very much.

I'm pretty intrigued by the S-Pen. I'm honestly not sure how much I'd use it, but I think I want it. :)

Yeah, I had the same thought with the S pen, didn't think I would use it that much and really didn't with my Notes 1, 2 and 3 but started using it more and more with my Note 4 as the functionality of it increased, now with the Note 5 it's even more useful than ever for just about everything.
As just one example, if your doing an email or text and make a typo and need to correct something you just take the S pen, put it right were you need to do a correction and that's it,,, way more precise than having to use your thumb to try and get in between the letters or sentences to make any kind of spelling correction or fix the typo, that's just one example of how handy the S pen can be, The list of usages for the S pen is unlimited, a very very handy tool to say the least.

Cheers
Davyo

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
wifi calling is the only thing keeping me from selling my 6s and staying with the note 5. That feature is really nice to have!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma