What's a Launcher?

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys.

What's a Launcher? What does it do or change compared to what normally comes on the Note 5? How hard is it to change launchers? Lastly, how hard is it to change back to the default Note 5?

Thanks. Sorry for the ignorance! :)

Catman51

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
A launcher allows you to customize home scrrens, resize widgets and a host of other options the built in one doesn't allow. Go wth Nova Prime, it's the best.

pbickel

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
A launcher is what controls the looks of a home screen and phone. Like if you pick up a HTC and a Samsung the reason they look different is the launcher they have. Samsung has touch wiz and HTC has sense.

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
One more question... I see that "icon packs" are available for Nova to change the icons. Can these icon packs be used on the Note 5 without using a special launcher? Or do they only work with a launcher like Nova?

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure on that one, as I know you can use themes with Touchwiz... dunno if that includes changing icons or not.

Maybe someone more familiar with Touchwiz can answer that one.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
One more question... I see that "icon packs" are available for Nova to change the icons. Can these icon packs be used on the Note 5 without using a special launcher? Or do they only work with a launcher like Nova?

Icon packs are made for launchers, so most will not work with touch wiz. U can buy an icon pack to test and uninstall within a few minutes for an automatic refund from google play. Most icon packs list requirements in app description, ie. Need nova launcher to work. Many apps support icon packs but typically touchwiz does not.

I highly recommend nova free and added icon packs. You can mess around with the "themes" on touch wiz to get icon packs for TW.

Posted via the Android Central App

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had no need for customer support, so no opinion there. If you want active displays for your clock/calendar icons, that's what widgets are for. The unread badge inaccuracy is an issue with Tesla, not Nova. And I don't consider a launcher using 117mb of RAM to be a memory hog.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
....and I don't understand why. Customer support sucks. Calendar and clock are static. Badges seldom if ever work and certainly are far from accurate. It is a huge memory hog......No thanks Nova

Mine work fine. My calendar icons change by themselves. My badges work for email and Gmail and text. I don't use the Facebook one as that seems to drain my battery.
There's just no other launcher that works as well as Nova.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20