What's a Launcher?

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I had terrible luck with Nova across the board. Maybe things have changed??

Im using nova and very pleased. Memory use is around 125MB which is less than running large apps like facebook, browsers etc., my notification badges work well on text, facebook, gmail, email, and others. Im a big fan of icon packs as well. The customization is awesome. I really dont see a downside. Havent had nova crash even once on the note 5. The home screens look better and are more functional saving time. Im fond of the infinite scroll and app drawer organization. I haven't noticied any extra battery drain or decrease in performance. It's free to try so i would give it a go. It makes other launchers look very bad.

Posted via the Android Central App

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Based on some research I've done it seems like TouchWiz did suck in the past, but many are now saying that TouchWiz on the Note 5 is actually pretty good. I'm not too clear on exactly what we lose (or gain) by going with one over the other, so I guess I'll need to try them both and see for myself. :)

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I gave up on Nova is it wouldn't allow the correct weather widget to run. It never would display the weather on the lock screen. I went back to TW and all was great. Play with the themes, I think you might be surprised it changes the backgrounds, icons, and look of the phone. I've used Nova on my last 4 phones and endorse it. Lately I've been playing with "Google Launcher" it allows the widget I need and the icons are larger. The point is to play and see what you like.

I guess they fixed it! Nova now allows the weather on the lock screen!

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
This mirrors my experience with Nova and launchers in general. I've always liked touch wiz all the way back to the Note 3. Launchers used to not allow any widgets which is why I didn't use them. The THEMES in settings are a really nice improvement as well.

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Ah ha! Both Nova & Google won't let you pin an s-note to the home screen. I use this feature of not every day, it's every week for sure.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Based on some research I've done it seems like TouchWiz did suck in the past, but many are now saying that TouchWiz on the Note 5 is actually pretty good. I'm not too clear on exactly what we lose (or gain) by going with one over the other, so I guess I'll need to try them both and see for myself. :)

Gestures.

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean ?
You can program gestures to do various things in Nova. For example, on mine...

I removed the app drawer icon, but can open the app drawer by swiping up anywhere on the screen. Swiping down anywhere opens the notifications, a double tap opens the settings for Nova, etc...

You can also program gestures for folders, such as swiping up on the folder to open the first app in the folder...

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes gestures are cool. And not exclusive to nova. Many apps in playstore control them but i dont use gestures, too much sh** going on.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I primarily use Nova Prime so I can use the icons I want and screen customizations (such as getting rid of the icon labels). I also use Zooper Widget Pro for clock/weather widgets. I found Beautiful Widgets and HD widgets to be memory hogs.

JohnnytheK

May 20, 2013
Visit site
like this? nova with pinned note:
View attachment 206179
No like this, that's a tag from an unsaved s-note. At any rate nova won't do that, just checked.

266fd3d57e7c5dec1b778d5b788776d6.jpg

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

anon(9638631)

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
YUP . AZ is the next tech hotspot

Edit: PATS vs Cards Superbowl

Yeah it is. I work in the Tech industry in downtown Phx. Live in FAR West Valley.

Pats / Cards would be awesome. Pats are my home team but I'd love to see the Cards get one after they were robbed by the Steelers last time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax