True "Drop Protection" case for the Note 5 ?

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a Note 5 (my first ever Android device) and I want a case that offers true drop protection. Some cases claim to handle drops, but they don't really hold up in reality.

I'm considering the Pelican Voyager since I'm happy with the Pelican Protector on my iPhone 6. Frankly I'd rather have the Protector since it's not as bulky as the Voyager, but it's not available for the Note 5. :(

Anyway, I'm looking for any feedback on the Voyager and/or suggestions on other "true" drop protection cases.

Thanks!

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
How is the Rhino Shield Case in the pocket? Meaning, can you easily slide the Note 5 in and out of your pocket with this case on? Or does it "snag" on the way in or out?

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
My mistake. Getting confused with another product. I am going to claim old age for the error.

Posted via the Android Central App

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I dropped and broke the screen on two of my earlier smart phones, and then purchased an Otterbox Defender for the replacement. I don't know about perfect protection against all drops, but I can say that I didn't break a phone since getting the Defender, and I have dropped the phone a few times.

I also recently changed to the Note 5. Before I purchased it, I bought a new Otterbox Defender and had it ready for day 1. As I am frequently on a project site and out in the field, I need a rugged case, and this seems to work.

By the way, I also am using the Samsung fast wire charger. The fast charger works well with the Defender case.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If you want something that protects against drops and still feels slim I would go with the Tech 21 case. That's what I have and I'm very happy with it.

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I just took a look at the Otterbox Defender and I thought it was pretty darn bulky. I'm not sure I like it. Frankly, the Pelican Voyager was pretty bulky too. There's gotta be SOMETHING out there that provides real drop-protection without being quite so bulky, right??

What about that Verus High Pro Shield case? Anyone have experience with it? Can it be dropped without any phone breakage?

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I just took a look at the Otterbox Defender and I thought it was pretty darn bulky. I'm not sure I like it. Frankly, the Pelican Voyager was pretty bulky too. There's gotta be SOMETHING out there that provides real drop-protection without being quite so bulky, right??

What about that Verus High Pro Shield case? Anyone have experience with it? Can it be dropped without any phone breakage?

Without any phone breakage??? Even the Otterbox doesn't promise that, and it is 3 times the price of the Verus. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want a stronger probability of phone survival, you need to accept the bulk that protects the phone. Lots of cases out there, you need to decide what your tolerance is for risk of breakage, and how much you depend upon the phone. For me, I do not want to deal with getting a replacement phone while on a work assignment. It is a tool, not a fashion statement. YMMV.

In the end, you need to be happy with your choice. Best of luck to you.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the Pelican Voyager, but it was too bulky. I am currently rockin' the Otterbox Commuter case. It offers the best protection and it slides in and out of pockets easily. I dropped my phone on the cement with this case and nothing bad happened to the phone.

Posted via the Note 5 on the Android Central App

Android Curious

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I had the Pelican Voyager, but it was too bulky. I am currently rockin' the Otterbox Commuter case. It offers the best protection and it slides in and out of pockets easily. I dropped my phone on the cement with this case and nothing bad happened
I also thought the Voyager seemed like it would be too bulky. Thanks for confirming this! I'll check out the Otterbox Commuter, thanks again.

I'm wondering if the Verus High Pro protects as much as the Otterbox Commuter. But it's online only so I can't see it in person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz