Is the Note 5 for me?

StaticXCC

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
So, I'm on the fence regarding the purchase of a Note 5 or a LG V10.

I like Games, so the Note5 is more powerful.
I have a SD Card I use... I will miss this feature.
I care not 2 licks about selfies at all.
I've given up on replaceable batteries. I am bitter at the loss of this feature but it seems Apple started that damn trend.
I don't use the S-Pen on my current Note4 much at all, but I want to use it more.
I hate TouchWiz bloat and lag. Seriously, I can't even type half the time without the keyboard struggling to catch up. I am leary the LG UI won't be much better.

So my questions....

How has the real world speed of TouchWiz faired with the Note 5.This is being compared to a iPhone 6 UI.
The new fingerprint scanner? How does it compare to the iPhones?
The screen off memo feature... can I get it to save notes into OneNote or is it going to try and force use of S Note?
Disabling Samsung Apps, does this provide as much performance increase as actually uninstalling the app with Rooting? Example, S Voice can diaf. I prefer Cortana and Google Now... Cortana mostly because of the Sync with my Win10 PC for reminders and such all built in... that and Cortana is wittier than Google Now.

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
TouchWiz isn't laggy anymore. It's super responsive.

Fingerprint sensor is on par with touch ID.

I absolutely love the note 5. I do not play heavy games. But I do play the common not so heavy titles. If you are into gaming on your phone, iPhone does a better job in that department. It's smoother. But among the androids note 5 is probably up there.

I have disabled S voice and I use Google now. You can do this using "package Disabler pro"

Screen off memo saves to snote only.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The fps isn't as good as the 6s,but close.

With package disabler, you can disable just about any app. There is no performance increase when removing the app in comparison to disabling it.

The note 5 will still kick apps out of memory more frequently than my 6sp, requiring the app to be reloaded from scratch but on my 6sp, the active app will be kicked out of memory frequently which is much worse imo.

I posted about my experience with the 6sp and Note 5.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-5/590861-i-used-6sp-week-back-n5-now.html

Nvincible

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I had the Note 3 and 4 and I understand your worries about TW but I actually (now) like TW and use it. I've tried twice going back to Nova for the customization and it works fine but I keep returning to TW because it's fast and aps just seem to work better through the native TW. Not sure what they did but it works great (to me anyway).

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
The Note 5 is better than the Note 4 in every way except the option to use the micro SDCard and Removable batteries. If you must have those features, keep the Note 4. I say try to backup, erase and restore to factory settings to clear up stuff you don't need and then try not to use too many widgets that need to constantly update when you slide to their screen. That has drastically improved my TW experience and I don't have any noticeable lag.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I've never had great luck with SD card support anyway...

I've installed them in my Galaxy S3 and my Galaxy S5, and both had random and intermittent issues with mounting and recognizing the card...

I am happy to eliminate my historic poor experiences with external SD card slots...

That said, I hate the fact that I can't simply remove an SD card, slide it into my notebook computer, and transfer a file...

I find transferring large files (3-4GB video files) from my Note 5 to my notebook computer is long and unreliable... File transfers quit in the middle...

My solution: DropBox... I simply move the files I want to transfer to DropBox on my Note 5 and wait for my notebook to synch up...