Anyone else think the Samsung "free" Wireless Charger is worth what you paid?

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I got two, like many did, one white, one black. I thought cool, one for home and one for work. After using them both for a few weeks now I've declared them both to be junk. I've read several threads about USB cords and chargers and such. I've tried different USB cords and chargers and got the same results...

When I place my phone on the charger and confirm the connection by the screen pop, I always take note of the percentage of charge. Almost every time I check back at 10, 15, 30 minute intervals the percentage is the same, very slightly higher, but most often lower!

I plugged in my old $12 PowerBot QI Wireless charger and bada bing, the phone charges, and charges almost as quick as a direct wire wall charger. Plus it gives me a nice subtle beep to let me know I've achieved a good connection without having to wait for the screen pop.

Maybe I'll use the Samsung junk for trendy coasters.

MikeekiM

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I'll use the Samsung junk for trendy coasters.

I added four rubber feet to an old Iomega Jaz 2GB cartridge and use it as a coaster... It's my favorite coaster, and it's a great conversation piece!

I'd do this with my Samsung wireless charging pucks in a heartbeat if I stopped getting really utilitary value from them... Currently they work for me... Underwhelming performance though...so I may have two more nice conversation coasters soon!

I8okbN0-rCcc.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I have one next to my bed and my office, they work fine and keep my phone charged fully, not sure if its worth $50, probably 30.00 would be better but it is what it is...

Glock23-G4

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I received 2 (both white) for activating a card with Samsung Pay.

I have one on my nightstand at home and one on my desk at work.

Both work flawlessly.

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Ive read that it has to be positioned a certain way on the charger. I use the app ampere to see the best "place" on the charger to get the most charge. Mine (free samsung wireless charger) works well about 2 hours for 0 to 100. In ampere, measure the discharge rate right before testing any charger so u can see if its charging more than discharging. My note5 prefers random chargers/usb cords over others. Ive seen double charging rate on 1 non fast charger over another.

Posted via the Android Central App

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You can see if you're getting decent charge. the discharge is effected by how much battery your phone is using like apps, ram, brightness etc. The green is also. It's not exact but if it's zero or less 100 green while charging it's not working well. Generally it takes a min or two to rise with wireless since it's creating a magnetic field. If it's not working i would send it back.

this is while sitting on the free samsung wireless charger.
Screenshot_2015-11-19-18-25-57.jpgScreenshot_2015-11-19-18-27-11.jpg

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I got one free from best buy when I got my phone and I tried to tell everyone who would listen that these things were garage. Everyone was so caught up in how "cool" it was to get two of them that my post went largely ignored. At any rate, if you've been paying attention, this should come as a surprise to no one.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I got 2 free from Samsung and both work flawlessly. You need to put the phone centered on the charger but it lights up and my phone beeps to tell me it's charging. I only charge my phone overnight so quickness isn't an issue. I also have an Otterbox on my phone 90% of the time and it doesn't make a difference in performance.