Samsung Pay - Does NOT work with these Card Readers???

Matt Behnken

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Tried to post a picture but doesn't look like it worked. I hate that i can't post pictures without the app crashing .

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T

Just open via url to add images.

Some debit transactions have been getting declined versus credit.

Posted via the Android Central App

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Awesome! I'll definitely try that. Thanks for the pic and description. I think I get it now. So I'm now actually 1 for 3 using this. Sadly I went to a Starbucks today and when I pulled out my phone they said "oh we don't have it set up for Apple pay or whatever" I smiled thinking it was just like the commercial. Most Starbucks near me have the NFC reader but this one was a bit far away (not that you need an NFC reader anyway). Since I wasn't 100% sure given I was only 1 for 2 prior to this, I hesitantly said "I think this should still work, it's a Samsung thing" The card swipe was on her monitor and I sort of held up my phone to it really quick but then pulled it away after like one second because I felt like I was being invasive reaching over the counter when they were saying it wouldn't work. So really, I wouldn't maybe count it as a fail. And she might not have even been ready on her screen to accept the swipe anyway. So I'll say I'm still 1 for 2 and I'll stop by that Fedex on Monday and see if I can play around some more. The guy there is a nice guy who doesn't mind me trying over and over and there's not a line like there was in Starbucks so I won't feel bad about playing around.

Thanks again for your help.

Did you get a chance to try it again?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
You need to get the back of the phone to the first magnetic head without the second reader(head) picking up on the phone. I just move the phone in slowly along the keypad till it picks it up. If I get an error I back it up a little and it works. I also go there everyday for work. So I just stood there playing with it. Trying every way till I got it working every time.

Tried again today at Fedex with no luck. I slowly advanced the phone up that keypad until it beeped. It did but no luck. Not 100% sure if I was doing it exactly as you suggested (like is the phone's screen facing up or facing to the side as I glide it up the keypad area?) Obviously I tried on top of the swipe area as well as once on both sides of the machine. A couple times it had a promising beep that I though went through, but it it failed to complete the transaction. A couple times it had a deeper beep accompanied by the magnetic strip area blinking red and obviously that wasn't good. That happens mostly when I put the phone over the top of that swipe area. I tried so many times that my phone gave me the message that said basically something to the effect that it's not working and that I should try later.

I also tried at an In n' Out and it did not work, however, I didn't "really" try hard. There was a huge line so I didn't wanna mess with it. I'll try again when I'm not feeling the pressure behind me.

I also tried at a Subway and it did work. Both cases I had to sort of reach over the counter which is an invasive feeling, but I'm glad it worked at the gas station (inside of course) and Subway (the sandwich place, not the transportation).

I guess it's either not working on this FedEx place or I'm still not doing it right. I'm 0 for about 15 at that place. I haven't given up just yet, but I can't say I'm real hopeful that it'll work. Bummer cuz I'm there a lot.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Tried again today at Fedex with no luck. I slowly advanced the phone up that keypad until it beeped. It did but no luck. Not 100% sure if I was doing it exactly as you suggested (like is the phone's screen facing up or facing to the side as I glide it up the keypad area?) Obviously I tried on top of the swipe area as well as once on both sides of the machine. A couple times it had a promising beep that I though went through, but it it failed to complete the transaction. A couple times it had a deeper beep accompanied by the magnetic strip area blinking red and obviously that wasn't good. That happens mostly when I put the phone over the top of that swipe area. I tried so many times that my phone gave me the message that said basically something to the effect that it's not working and that I should try later.

I also tried at an In n' Out and it did not work, however, I didn't "really" try hard. There was a huge line so I didn't wanna mess with it. I'll try again when I'm not feeling the pressure behind me.

I also tried at a Subway and it did work. Both cases I had to sort of reach over the counter which is an invasive feeling, but I'm glad it worked at the gas station (inside of course) and Subway (the sandwich place, not the transportation).

I guess it's either not working on this FedEx place or I'm still not doing it right. I'm 0 for about 15 at that place. I haven't given up just yet, but I can't say I'm real hopeful that it'll work. Bummer cuz I'm there a lot.

Glass is facing at an angle pointing a little over head as you move down the keypad

I was at the post office the other day and wanted to record me doing it. But changed my mind the guy I got at the register is a ****. The last time I got him he was yelling at me that HIS terminal doesn't work with any phones. So, I'm like I pay here all the time with my phone. I ignored him and did it anyway. First time error(he laughed) and second time it went thru. He looks at me askes for the last 4 of the card, while saying it's not going to work.

If I get the nice lady there, I'll make a video.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Glass is facing at an angle pointing a little over head as you move down the keypad
If I get the nice lady there, I'll make a video.

That would be awesome. I totally get that pressure. Just goes to show you that no one outside of Samsung users or really hard core android users know about Samsung Pay. It was honestly one of the main reasons I stuck with Android this time instead of getting a 6s+ or the Priv. But that pressure from either people behind me or the person at the checkout is what I hate and usually give up if it doesn't go through on try one. But at this FedEx place it's empty and the guy there is cool so he doesn't care how much I try. Right after Fedex today I went to the post office and they had a similar looking card reader. But I wasn't thinking and just swiped my card. After that I immediately thought "wait", but it was too late.

If you do end up doing the video, that would be awesome. If you're saying that putting the phone directly over the area doesn't work for you either, but another way does, then I'm all in. The lady must have thought I was nuts as I was slowly creeping my phone up that keypad like I was afraid it was gonna bite.

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It WORKED!!!

Probably about the 20th time overall, I got it to work and the guy at the counter was just as shocked as I was that it went through as we both were resolved to it not working on this card reader. After all, 20 times is a lot of tries with no success, at a register in a store. What I ended up doing was sort of laying the phone with the back hovering over the card reader (screen facing the ceiling). I sort of had creeped it in over the left side of the area where you swipe a card and I was about 1/2" to an inch away from touching the reader. When it worked I was shocked and we both tried to recall what I had done since by that time I was just moving it all over and not paying too much attention really as we were talking. But I couldn't get it a 2nd time. After about 5 or 6 more failed attempts to repeat my success, I finally got it a 2nd time by doing what I mentioned above. Bringing it in slowly with the back facing down on the left side of where you swipe a card. I'd say it was a little ways off of touching the device and the top of my phone was probably 40% over the card reader and the bottom 60% of my phone was not over the reader.

I'll never have this much free time at a post office but that's where I'm headed next. Hopefully the anxiety over failing multiple times in front of a long line and a skeptical or nasty teller will fade and I'll have more success.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It WORKED!!!

Probably about the 20th time overall, I got it to work and the guy at the counter was just as shocked as I was that it went through as we both were resolved to it not working on this card reader. After all, 20 times is a lot of tries with no success, at a register in a store. What I ended up doing was sort of laying the phone with the back hovering over the card reader (screen facing the ceiling). I sort of had creeped it in over the left side of the area where you swipe a card and I was about 1/2" to an inch away from touching the reader. When it worked I was shocked and we both tried to recall what I had done since by that time I was just moving it all over and not paying too much attention really as we were talking. But I couldn't get it a 2nd time. After about 5 or 6 more failed attempts to repeat my success, I finally got it a 2nd time by doing what I mentioned above. Bringing it in slowly with the back facing down on the left side of where you swipe a card. I'd say it was a little ways off of touching the device and the top of my phone was probably 40% over the card reader and the bottom 60% of my phone was not over the reader.

I'll never have this much free time at a post office but that's where I'm headed next. Hopefully the anxiety over failing multiple times in front of a long line and a skeptical or nasty teller will fade and I'll have more success.

Nice, you just need to find the sweet spot.
The trick is to get only within reach of ONE magnetic reader. What happens is the phone sends cards info to both readers at the same time and it's like swiping your credit card both directions at the same time.
Also, do you have a case and if so which one?

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice, you just need to find the sweet spot.
The trick is to get only within reach of ONE magnetic reader. What happens is the phone sends cards info to both readers at the same time and it's like swiping your credit card both directions at the same time.
Also, do you have a case and if so which one?

Thanks for that video. I may have tried it that way but I can't remember as I did it so many times over 3 trips there. Either way, I'll keep that technique in mind next time. I do have a case, a UAG case on my Note 5. I had switched to this case a couple days ago from another case but both cases have worked on other card readers so I wasn't thinking that was the issue. Either way, I'm happy and will try In n' Out again soon. Maybe tonight. :) I am hungry anyway.

Thanks again for going as far as recording a video of you doing it. Much appreciated.

goldenmonkey

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue with a different type of terminal. At Wawa, I can hold my phone up to the terminal, it'll beep as though it went through, but it just crashes the machine. I can't swipe my card either after it beeps. I have to hand it to the cashier for them to swipe it. Really weird, because it sounds like it works but it just locks things up. It worked for the first few weeks I tried, but hasn't been lately. Multiple different stores too.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that video. I may have tried it that way but I can't remember as I did it so many times over 3 trips there. Either way, I'll keep that technique in mind next time. I do have a case, a UAG case on my Note 5. I had switched to this case a couple days ago from another case but both cases have worked on other card readers so I wasn't thinking that was the issue. Either way, I'm happy and will try In n' Out again soon. Maybe tonight. :) I am hungry anyway.

Thanks again for going as far as recording a video of you doing it. Much appreciated.

No problem. The way I did it works as you see, fast and easy.

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's what I've found. My Walmart's upgraded to the new chip enabled terminals. My US Bank VIsa card has a chip. The card reader processes the purchase fine and then spits out a "transaction canceled" message. I then get a message from Samsung Pay saying the same thing. My non-chip US Bank Visa debit card works fine on the same terminal. I think some banks that issue chip enabled cards only allow them to be used via chip at readers where a terminal is so enabled. It's the only explanation I can come up with when two cards from the same bank work differently on the same POS terminal.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I've found. My Walmart's upgraded to the new chip enabled terminals. My US Bank VIsa card has a chip. The card reader processes the purchase fine and then spits out a "transaction canceled" message. I then get a message from Samsung Pay saying the same thing. My non-chip US Bank Visa debit card works fine on the same terminal. I think some banks that issue chip enabled cards only allow them to be used via chip at readers where a terminal is so enabled. It's the only explanation I can come up with when two cards from the same bank work differently on the same POS terminal.

Both my BOA cards are chipped. I use my phone at chip enabled readers without that problem.

I thought that the virtual number BOA gave my phone bypassed that chipped system?

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the problem is with certain banks.

In my case it is. The reader's picking the card up fine and it's getting to US Bank where it's cancelled. Not declined, not denied, but cancelled. I couldn't get a cancelled message from Samsung Pay if the transaction didn't exist with them in the first place. It shows the amount in history with a line through it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey