Otterbox Defender drop....

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just more of a vent in this post.

Had the note 5 in the Otterbox Defender since I was working outside today. Came in for lunch and put the phone inside the holster and set it on the table. When I went to pick it up and put it back on my belt, the phone and holster slipped out of my hand and fell onto the kitchen floor. It landed on the holster.

Long story short, the zagg tempered glass screen protector shattered. Luckily the glass behind was OK. I am having little faith in this otterbox if a simple fall breaks glass. The screen protector did it's job though.

Anyone else have this kind of issue with an otterbox for the note 5? Luckily it's a Zagg and I ordered a free replacement already.

ColoradoHiker

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else have this kind of issue with an otterbox for the note 5? Luckily it's a Zagg and I ordered a free replacement already.

I assume you modified the Otterbox to accommodate the Zagg, correct? The Otterbox does not come with a tempered glass protector.

So, not to defend Otterbox (although I have one), your glass protector in a modified case shattered when the Otterbox did its job and protected the phone. When I talked to Otterbox directly, they did not recommend a glass protector, and did not even sell a version of the Otterbox with their own glass protector installed. The glass could have broken due to the way it fits inside the case, not due to a fault in the case itself.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I assume you modified the Otterbox to accommodate the Zagg, correct? The Otterbox does not come with a tempered glass protector.

So, not to defend Otterbox (although I have one), your glass protector in a modified case shattered when the Otterbox did its job and protected the phone. When I talked to Otterbox directly, they did not recommend a glass protector, and did not even sell a version of the Otterbox with their own glass protector installed. The glass could have broken due to the way it fits inside the case, not due to a fault in the case itself.
Good point. I had the normal otterbox protector still built into the case. Then I just put the otterbox on the phone like normal with the zagg glass on the phone. Never really thought it would have an issue since I had it on my Note 4 with a defender no problem.

Hmmm I gotta think about how I can make it fit

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
With the Defender being so thick I'm not sure if you really need a screen protector since it's raised so much the screen shouldn't touch the ground if dropped. I assume from the zagg glass resting against the case when it fell the case put pressure on it causing it to crack.

I hate built in screen protectors. Otterbox has the worse I think. Only one I like is the poetic revolution screen protector I had for the s6 case. It fit VERY tight so no dirt got under it and it was very clear and responsive. The otterbox built in ones are garbage and I always remove them. With gorilla glass and a thick case I don't think you really need tempered glass.

dedduck012101

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
With the Defender being so thick I'm not sure if you really need a screen protector since it's raised so much the screen shouldn't touch the ground if dropped. I assume from the zagg glass resting against the case when it fell the case put pressure on it causing it to crack.

I hate built in screen protectors. Otterbox has the worse I think. Only one I like is the poetic revolution screen protector I had for the s6 case. It fit VERY tight so no dirt got under it and it was very clear and responsive. The otterbox built in ones are garbage and I always remove them. With gorilla glass and a thick case I don't think you really need tempered glass.

I like the screen protector and always have one on but I use the defender so rarely I normally don't worry about it. Never had an issue with any other note phone. And I hate the otter box build in protector.

But, I think you're right. It rests right on the screen protector and takes the brunt of the fall. Might try and just use the phone without a screen protector this time and see what happens.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The vast majority of cases do not give good protection for point load impact on the glass screen, like when the phone falls glass down onto a sharp object. The lip offers some protection but if the rock or whatever is thick enough then it can still cause damage

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX