Note 5 - Upper Left Screen Unresponsive and Crap Bletooth

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know that this was widespread. I guess for once I got lucky. Sorry you guys have these problems.

Posted via the Android Central App

From what I am reading on different forums, the problem does not appear to be widespread.

I think it was a certain batch of phones. My wife went through several to find one without a dead spot in the upper left of the touchscreen. (T-Mobile). There was also some weirdness going on with the display right at the very corner of several of the affected phones. Bad glue maybe?

The one she has now has zero issues.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, the update had no option to delay, ergo unavoidable. On the bright side, so far no problems. BUT on the DIM side this new phone definitely has a screen that is about 7% Darker, even at full capacity with no auto brightness. WTF! Cant I just have a normal phone?? OR is this a normal phone, and the other phone screens washed out. Either way, I did a blind control test with my Wife to point out the brighter phone and she picked the old one hands down. Is this nothing? Or perhaps symptomatic of a coming screen failure. I guess it doesn't matter too much. I have a Warranty till October this year and can keep sending back phones willy nilly till I get one that works properly, provided I don't invalidate the Warranty. But besides the Dimmer screen, so far not Glitches. I will keep y'all posted.
-Cheers,

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the update had no option to delay, ergo unavoidable. On the bright side, so far no problems. BUT on the DIM side this new phone definitely has a screen that is about 7% Darker, even at full capacity with no auto brightness. WTF! Cant I just have a normal phone?? OR is this a normal phone, and the other phone screens washed out. Either way, I did a blind control test with my Wife to point out the brighter phone and she picked the old one hands down. Is this nothing? Or perhaps symptomatic of a coming screen failure. I guess it doesn't matter too much. I have a Warranty till October this year and can keep sending back phones willy nilly till I get one that works properly, provided I don't invalidate the Warranty. But besides the Dimmer screen, so far not Glitches. I will keep y'all posted.
-Cheers,

You have no auto brightness? Are you sure it isn't in easy mode?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Disabled chat heads, problem returned a few hours later. Uninstalled Facebook messenger and the problem hasn't occurred since.

KenyaGraham

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my second phone. The first phone didn't have any problems (swapped sure to the stylus detection broken from putting stylus the wrong way).

I run Nova launcher, always have. Chat heads have always been disabled on Facebook Messenger. Problem happens a few times a day randomly. The problem will persist on the upper left part of the screen whether in portrait or landscape. I'm on T-Mobile.

Work around:
First try closing all apps via Recent Apps button. If that doesn't fix it, clear RAM via the Samsung Smart Manager

Roguefoxx

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I experienced this for the first time last night. I've had the phone for a few months now. Running nova launcher. Restarted the phone and it worked just fine again. I did set up messenger just recently, but uninstalled after reading comments about it related to this problem. Haven't had the issue pop up again yet.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Well it's been 24 hours. Fully updated with all apps I used and not a one glitch. Tomorrow I'll load my music on it and see what hapoens. It may just be you have to keep getting a replacement till you get one that works. I'll report back in 2 days or a glitch, whichever happens first.

Last edited:

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Well it's been 24 hours. Fully updated with all apps I used and not a one glitch. Tomorrow I'll load my music on it and see what hapoens. It may just be you have to keep getting a replacement till you get one that works. I'll report back in 2 days or a glitch, whichever happens first.

Never****ingmind, just happened again. Good thing I haven't returned the phone with the brighter screen. Facebook Messenger seems to have been the one that initiated its but since it's first appearance, it has returned multiple times. If I were someone looking for a new phone, I would avoid the Galaxy Note 5

jlilnc14

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that android pay and Samsung pay conflicts with each other. So I disabled android pay and my left corner works now.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
ATTENTION EVERYONE!! THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN RECOGNIZED AND IS BEING FIXED IN NEXT PATCH. Only Samsung told me so though. AT&T seems clueless to this, also when they will release the next update/ Which is unfortunate because that is my carrier. But the Problem was officially recognized some time last week and will make next patch.

jsbcarman

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Same problem on mine today, started out of nowhere, read that I should delete Facebook messenger, did that and its been prefect since.

Hamsterstyle1

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Same problem on mine today, started out of nowhere, read that I should delete Facebook messenger, did that and its been prefect since.

Same here boss, but it came back for me. The samsung rep who told me that it is a knkwn issue now and being addressed also said youtube can instigate it. The droid optimizer stop background all thing does remedy it every time, which helps when you don't have the time to reboot the phone. I would see if keeping fb off fixes it permanently, but iff not I would download the optimizer app and just use the apps you want.

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm with everyone else here as fb messenger is the culprit. Deleted it and been perfect since. Would be nice if they get it fixed soon but I'm good with not having it also lol

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine not only has a dead spot in the upper left but, in the lower right as well. I disabled Messenger, which I use a lot, and it fixed it.

Carl Burgin

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
My phone too became unresponsive at the upper left corner. And yup, it was after all the updates. I did a hard reset and reinstalled everything one by one. It would still happen occasionally but not as much here lately, but just in case I'm doing what you did and I am disabling the samsung pay as I too believe it is an app issue somewhere.

Paige623

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Hamsterstyle1, you said that Samsung is working on this issue. In order to get it fixed, will they send out an update? Or will we have to get a completely new device?

Ivan Car

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Same here boss, but it came back for me. The samsung rep who told me that it is a knkwn issue now and being addressed also said youtube can instigate it. The droid optimizer stop background all thing does remedy it every time, which helps when you don't have the time to reboot the phone. I would see if keeping fb off fixes it permanently, but iff not I would download the optimizer app and just use the apps you want.

So glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem. I was going insane as I've already been through 2 ATT Note 5 due to Bluetooth issue. Now the new one I got has excellent Bluetooth but issue with the top left corner. Hope this patch comes out.soon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon