Samsung Pay - card denied (misleading message)

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The last two times I used Samsung Pay at Walmart, the phone seemed to get read and the credit card reader displayed "authorizing", but a few seconds later the message on the display was "Card denied" (American Express). I tried repeating, but got the same issue. I then paid with the same credit card that I have registered with Samsung Pay without problem. I contacted AMEX and they indicated that they didn't reject the transaction. I've gone thru this same process twice now at Walmart over the past 2 days. I had used SP at this same Walmart in the past w/o problem, but this past week, it hasn't worked.

Samsung Pay has worked elsewhere today, so I know it's not the phone.

AMEX seemed to think it was system congenstion, but I don't think so, as the "denied" message occurred only a few seconds after reading the phone.

Anyone else have this issue?

jmy7213

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had it happen once or twice. I notice that if for some reason, your data stalls, it will not work. I've had it decline at on register and buy something else at another register and it worked fine. Still makes you feel like an arse when it declines.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I have had this happen when using Samsung Pay as well as the chip embedded in my card. It has to be an issue on Walmart's side. Only works with actually swiping cards right now in my experience.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have had this happen when using Samsung Pay as well as the chip embedded in my card. It has to be an issue on Walmart's side. Only works with actually swiping cards right now in my experience. -Shawn

My card does have a chip - but the Walmart chip reader does work with it - swiping with the card won't work, however.

duofold

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Had virtually no problems with Samsung Pay since its inception. Within the last several days, getting declined repeatedly at a variety of merchants. Used a Chase Visa and a Wells Fargo Visa. Made several attempts for both and finally was accepted. I was about to call my banks.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem multiple times up until recently. I use to work for Walmart and the card readers get a firmware and software update once a month. It seems that in the latest update Samsung pay is now accepted and working properly. The last 2 times I have gone the transaction has worked like every other place....perfectly!

Posted via the Android Central App

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem at Walmart with American Express as well. I did use the same Walmart though. At a self serve and one with a cashier. Neither worked.

Works on my vending machine at work and the laundromat. So I know it works.

Haven't tried it anywhere else.

Posted via the *Note 5*

skorpyo2011

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The last two times I used Samsung Pay at Walmart, the phone seemed to get read and the credit card reader displayed "authorizing", but a few seconds later the message on the display was "Card denied" (American Express). I tried repeating, but got the same issue. I then paid with the same credit card that I have registered with Samsung Pay without problem. I contacted AMEX and they indicated that they didn't reject the transaction. I've gone thru this same process twice now at Walmart over the past 2 days. I had used SP at this same Walmart in the past w/o problem, but this past week, it hasn't worked.

Samsung Pay has worked elsewhere today, so I know it's not the phone.

AMEX seemed to think it was system congenstion, but I don't think so, as the "denied" message occurred only a few seconds after reading the phone.

Anyone else have this issue?

Definitely, but at cumberland farms w a pnc debit. I think you just put phone over card swiper and not the nfc symbol on top of machine.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes it's the cashier's fault. Sometimes it asks for a pin but you don't put a pin, you just push the green button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair