Looked around some and did not see anything related to the note 5 getting sluggish. I have a verizon 32gb note 5 that I got almost exactly two months ago. Coming from an s5 that started slowing as it neared its replacement, I found the Note 5 to be very fast and powerful when I got it. I have noticed in the last two or so weeks my phone has been VERY slow. Opening apps there is lag (especially messages, I went through and deleted alot of texts but it has not seemed to help the issue). My app manager of choice is clean sweep and I use it to clean junk about once every two or three days. My keyboard is swiftkey which also has started having a ton of lag when opening apps that use it.

Has anyone had similar problems with the note 5 getting slow? Is there a different manager app I should use? I am really getting frustrated here because sometimes it is great, and others...mostly lately, it is so low and laggy. Battery has been fine as well. I am close to taking it to the store but figured i'd ask here first.

Thanks,

Collin
    11-23-2015 11:39 AM
    My app manager of choice is clean sweep and I use it to clean junk about once every two or three days.

Here is part of your problem. You don't need any of these apps on this phone. They do more harm than good.
    11-23-2015 11:45 AM
    I ve had my Note 5 since it dropped, and it has always been quite speedy. Have you recently downloaded any apps that could be causing the problem?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-23-2015 11:47 AM
    Iv'e had my Note since day one and have issues every few weeks but easily fix with a reboot. As for the App manager I haven't used one in over 4 years with Android since they are no longer needed and also agree they now do more harm then good. I'd start with a reboot after uninstalling clean Sweep and if your still having issues I would stop into Verizon.
    kj11 and silverbow like this.
    11-23-2015 11:59 AM
    Note 5 Suddenly Slow?-screenshot_2015-11-23-14-56-14.jpg
    Check to see if your free ram is where its suppose to be and stop any apps that are self starting and not performing any function (on stand-by)
    11-23-2015 03:01 PM
    Note 5 Suddenly Slow?-screenshot_2015-11-23-15-03-00.jpg

Also check to make sure your cache isn't overloaded......if your good on these then there are downloaded apps probably causing your lags.
    11-23-2015 03:05 PM
    My app manager of choice is clean sweep and I use it to clean junk about once every two or three days.

Here is part of your problem. You don't need any of these apps on this phone. They do more harm than good.
    This.
    It's THE problem, not just part.

msndrstood likes this.
    11-23-2015 04:47 PM
    Iv'e had my Note since day one and have issues every few weeks but easily fix with a reboot. As for the App manager I haven't used one in over 4 years with Android since they are no longer needed and also agree they now do more harm then good. I'd start with a reboot after uninstalling clean Sweep and if your still having issues I would stop into Verizon.
    Agreed. I'd also wrote the cache partition. Maybe I'm just neurotic but hey.

Samsung galaxy note 5 32GB
    Running 5.1.1
    On AT&T
    11-23-2015 04:57 PM
    Still as fast as the day I bought it, but I do maintenance on it. Every 2-3 days I reboot and once a week I clear the cache in recovery.
    Tommy Bayshore likes this.
    11-23-2015 07:12 PM
    Thanks everyone, I deleted clean master, cache looks good, and cleared out some app processes that were self starting and rebooted. Seems better for now, I'll see how it goes.
    11-23-2015 07:33 PM
    I get an occasional hiccup using Facebook and Tumblr but not sure if it's the apps or the phone/RAM.
    Either way, I just use CCleaner every few days and I'm set. Greatest phone I've owned and I've owned most ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Œ

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5
    11-23-2015 09:08 PM
    These apps like Clean Master **** me off, they are very deceptive, especially when they have 4.5+ rating on the Play Store with millions of downloads. I used to have this on my old S6 Edge+ and every time i would clean it it would tell me it needed to clean again, and again and again. Finally i realized the program was doing no good so i removed. Shortly after that I got my Note 5 and never installed anything like that on it and its always been very fast. Depending on what carrier you have you may want to disable some of the bloatware, for example I have Verizon and there are some things i disable on all new Verizon phones as they are just no use to me and waste resources:

NFL Mobile (Don't care about the NFL that much to have a app running 24-7 in the background, i can go to ESPN.COM just as easy if needed)
    IMDB (Just dumb)
    Verizon Message + (the default Samsung messaging app is cleaner and smoother)
    Verizon Cloud (lots of better alternatives like Google Photos backup etc..)
    Verizon Support & Protection (Useless in my opinion, use Android Device Manager)

There are some others like "Knox" that im not sure about so ive left it alone. I did notice some serious strange issues after i installed Samsung Pay and Android Pay, i have since removed both of them. I also read many posts of others having strange problems after installing. Both apps suck in my opinion... Samsung Pay only supports a VERY small handful of cards, Android Pay makes you disable your fingerprint scanner and set up a swipe pattern, who the heck came up with that bright idea? Anyway, just my 10 cents here... Good luck.
    11-23-2015 09:13 PM
    I don't have anything like Clean Sweep or whatever but you guys are saying these aren't necessary now. I *do* have Easy Cache Cleaner though and run it every couple weeks. Is this something that's also similarly unnecessary?
    11-24-2015 03:22 AM
    I suggest you uninstall Easy Cache Cleaner in the long run it might slow your phone down , all i do is clean cache in settings /Storage/Cached Data , and that's it and once or twice a month i go into recovery clean cache there that's all you need!
    11-24-2015 04:01 AM
    I'm using android pay and it never prompted me to remove my fingerprint. I use it weekly and I've never run into an issue with a Swype pattern. I just unlock my device with fingerprint and open android pay, select my card and make my purchase.

11-24-2015 05:50 AM
    I don't have anything like Clean Sweep or whatever but you guys are saying these aren't necessary now. I *do* have Easy Cache Cleaner though and run it every couple weeks. Is this something that's also similarly unnecessary?
    These apps are counter productive and sometimes interfere with your phones way of dealing with RAM, processes, and cache data. Delete all of that garbage. There are 2 simple ways to clear cache data on your phone already from stock.
    TheMatrix31 likes this.
    11-24-2015 06:31 AM
    I'm having issues with mine too. There's lag issues like it freezes whenever I unlock the phone and navigate the screen. Network signal is sometimes weak too (and this is not because of my location. I checked other phones with the same network and they have strong signal).

My phone is just almost a month old.

11-24-2015 06:47 AM
    I'm having issues with mine too. There's lag issues like it freezes whenever I unlock the phone and navigate the screen. Network signal is sometimes weak too (and this is not because of my location. I checked other phones with the same network and they have strong signal).

My phone is just almost a month old.

Exactly my issue and I don't use any cleaners or task managers at all. I also clear my cache and power cycle regularly.
    03-30-2016 12:52 PM
    There is no substitute for a factory reset. None. I know everybody is pissed off by this but with the recovery tools available through Google or 3rd party apps it can be a relatively painless process.

I reset every few months whether the phone seems to need it or not.

Life is not fair.
    04-02-2016 03:31 AM
    There is no substitute for a factory reset. None. I know everybody is pissed off by this but with the recovery tools available through Google or 3rd party apps it can be a relatively painless process.

I reset every few months whether the phone seems to need it or not.

Life is not fair.
    This is one MAIN REASON that unless Android gets its bugs worked out of these updates, I'm moving reluctantly to iOS. I had to send back a fairly new Note 5 for an older warranty replacement after Marshmallow really messed up the original Note 5 after the update. This while doing multiple cache partitions cleanings and factory resets. Running Lollipop on replacement! Ran phone in safe mode, my apps were fine. The darn phone -MM combo was really screwed up.

I'VE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO IN MY LIFE than to spend three to four hours doing stupid settings and other installs on a new, updated OS! Android has been around for some time, I've been with it since the beginning. It's come a long way, this is a huge plus! It's the carriers, plus Samsung plus Google, somewhere in the combo there's an issue that's causing the problems. I'll bet it's Samsung with their bloat and Verizon rushing out a problematic buggy update!

04-02-2016 06:59 AM
    This is one MAIN REASON that unless Android gets its bugs worked out of these updates, I'm moving reluctantly to iOS. I had to send back a fairly new Note 5 for an older warranty replacement after Marshmallow really messed up the original Note 5 after the update. This while doing multiple cache partitions cleanings and factory resets. Running Lollipop on replacement! Ran phone in safe mode, my apps were fine. The darn phone -MM combo was really screwed up.

I'VE GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO IN MY LIFE than to spend three to four hours doing stupid settings and other installs on a new, updated OS! Android has been around for some time, I've been with it since the beginning. It's come a long way, this is a huge plus! It's the carriers, plus Samsung plus Google, somewhere in the combo there's an issue that's causing the problems. I'll bet it's Samsung with their bloat and Verizon rushing out a problematic buggy update!

I will preface the following by saying that my Verizon Note 5 has been working well on Lollipop and now Marshmallow. I have not factory reset since purchasing the phone last fall, and am overall happy with the Note 5 and the experience.

Yes, overall typically iOS updates get it right - and if major issues persist - then Apple is relatively quick to fix. Apple devices have essentially no bloat, and in my experience are reliable and consistently work well. My understanding is that Nexus devices are the Android equivalent for "getting it right".

Agree that we, as users, shouldn't have to do frequent factory resets when things get weird for no known reason, or purchase Package Disabler Pro to fix bloat or root/custom ROM (when possible) to make things better. I went down the root/custom ROM path with the S3 and Note 2 primarily to learn and experiment; but as a major side benefit gained complete control over the phone.

With CleanROM, those were extremely smooth, stable, and efficient devices. No bloat at all, and multi-day battery life without having to turn off anything like GPS, Bluetooth, etc.

If I could root my Verizon Note 5 with a known good and trusted method, and not lose ability to use Android or Samsung Pay or trip Knox - I'd do it.
    04-02-2016 08:54 AM
    Each to their own I guess. I've updated my Android several times since I switched, and I've had less trouble upside my Android than I did with my iPhone when I had it. I downloaded an OS update once that totally bricked my phone. When I contacted them, the answer basically said tough luck. Buy a new phone. They finally came back with 3 more intermediate updates that almost brought my iPhone back to life.
    I'm not putting down either of them. People personalise their phones. No update will seamlessly slid into everyone's phone. A few years ago I updated my Android from j to k and later to l. Each time I had to do a reset. First time scared me to death. Yeah it was a pain, but once done I was tickled. Hang in there.

04-02-2016 09:12 AM