Auto brightness issue.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
When using auto brightness, once the screen brightens up due to more light, it never seems to dim back down. I've even tried putting the sensors against my body or covering them with my finger and it just stays bright. Anyone else seeing this?

From my Platinum Gold Note 5

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
When using auto brightness, once the screen brightens up due to more light, it never seems to dim back down. I've even tried putting the sensors against my body or covering them with my finger and it just stays bright. Anyone else seeing this?

Yup, just check it. Walked into a dark room. If the screen turns on from a sleep it's dim, when I walk into a bright room, it brightness up but until I turn the screen off it doesn't dim.
Probably why the auto brightness works so good 😉

What carrier are you?

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
No issues here. Are you using a screen protector by chance?

Yes, but that's not the problem. Since it has no problem reading the brightness level when turning the phone on or when walking into a bright area. Just doesnt want to dim after.
I want to know if this is a carrier update issue. I tested the dimmer sensor so it's not a hardware problem.
What carrier phones are you using?

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If the OP does a factory reset It might fix the problem. It's doesn't bother me enough to do the reset myself. My battery life is amazing and I love the brightness and colors. If it was the other way around and didn't get brighter that would be bad.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup, just check it. Walked into a dark room. If the screen turns on from a sleep it's dim, when I walk into a bright room, it brightness up but until I turn the screen off it doesn't dim.
Probably why the auto brightness works so good 😉

What carrier are you?

AT&T. No screen protector. It's the oddest thing. Lights up as it should in bright light but fails to dim back down when the light goes away.

Wonder if it's AT&T software related?

The downside to this of course is unneeded battery drain due to the screen being unnecessarily bright unless I unchecked auto then recheck it.

MRBULLRED

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
AT&T. No screen protector. It's the oddest thing. Lights up as it should in bright light but fails to dim back down when the light goes away.

Wonder if it's AT&T software related?

The downside to this of course is unneeded battery drain due to the screen being unnecessarily bright unless I unchecked auto then recheck it.

Negative. It happens on my Verizon Note 5 as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

flychinook

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Same here, Sprint Note 5. If I uncheck and re-check auto brightness, it dims back down.

Posted via the Android Central App

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there another Samsung device that has this issue?
Does anyone have it working correctly?
Don't want to have to install Lux to get correct functionality.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I tested this with my old galaxy S5 and it's does the same thing. Not sure if this is a problem with the phone since both phones do the same thing.

I did a few experiments and found out if you walk into a bright room and the walk into a dark room after the screen doesn't dim. If you don't touch the screen while in the dark room it dims and if you touch it when it dims it will brighten right up again. But if you do the same thing again walk into the dark room put the phone down (table,bed, etc..) for about 4 Seconds it will dim and stay that way. This goes for the S5 as well.

Basically the phone needs to be flat or almost flat for the dim sensor to work.... Weird right?

Try it...

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I tested this with my old galaxy S5 and it's does the same thing. Not sure if this is a problem with the phone since both phones do the same thing.

I did a few experiments and found out if you walk into a bright room and the walk into a dark room after the screen doesn't dim. If you don't touch the screen while in the dark room it dims and if you touch it when it dims it will brighten right up again. But if you do the same thing again walk into the dark room put the phone down (table,bed, etc..) for about 4 Seconds it will dim and stay that way. This goes for the S5 as well.

Basically the phone needs to be flat or almost flat for the dim sensor to work.... Weird right?

Try it...

Wow... That is the oddest damn thing. I just tried it and sure enough, when laid flat it would dim, yet when held in a "reading" position it remains bright.
That makes no sense.

For the sake of prosperity, I did reboot, and even rebooted into recovery and wiped cache with no change.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Wow... That is the oddest damn thing. I just tried it and sure enough, when laid flat it would dim, yet when held in a "reading" position it remains bright.
That makes no sense.

For the sake of prosperity, I did reboot, and even rebooted into recovery and wiped cache with no change.

No, it doesn't make any sense.
Now since my S5 did the same thing. I factory reset it and it still works the same way. The note 5 and old galaxy S5 are very different phones which leads me to believe it's a problem with lollipop. Lollipop is the only really similarity.

So, I'm going to call it the lollipop dim bug 😏.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like "Smart stay" is set to On in the cases where the screen does not dim while holding the phone. Smart stay is designed to keep the screen on as it thinks you want to read/see something on the device.

I remember with the S3 or maybe Note 2, my phone would not dim the screen even when lying flat and me not looking at it. Turns out the ceiling fan in my home office area was above the phone, and Smart stay "saw" the ceiling fan movement and thus kept the screen on. Smart stay in that case was working perfectly fine and working as designed. I think that could also be the case here with the Note 5.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like "Smart stay" is set to On in the cases where the screen does not dim while holding the phone. Smart stay is designed to keep the screen on as it thinks you want to read/see something on the device.

I remember with the S3 or maybe Note 2, my phone would not dim the screen even when lying flat and me not looking at it. Turns out the ceiling fan in my home office area was above the phone, and Smart stay "saw" the ceiling fan movement and thus kept the screen on. Smart stay in that case was working perfectly fine and working as designed. I think that could also be the case here with the Note 5.

Smart stay was my first thought, even though I have it off. So I turned it on and tried different scenarios, turned it off again, and screen still doesn't dim after auto brightening.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX