Why can't I hear voice navigation via Bluetooth Car Stereo?

A

AC Question

Can't hear voice navigation via Bluetooth Car Stereo

About a week ago I got the Note 5. Great phone, but I am having issues when using the maps on the phone (Google maps). I am unable to hear the voice prompts for the navigation through the car speakers when I am listening to a radio station, even though the phone is connected via bluetooth.
I can either get to listen to radio or the voice prompts, but not both. I used to have a S4 previously, and I never had this issue. When listening to radio the navigation voice prompt would lower the radio volume automatically and give directions and then would automatically go back to the normal volume of the radio once navigation voice prompts finished.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Am I the only one or are there others who are having similar issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't hear voice navigation via Bluetooth Car Stereo

Welcome to Android Central! Open Google Maps, swipe in from the left, tap Settings>Navigation Settings, and make sure "Play voice over Bluetooth" is checked on.

Ev C

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

I have had this same issue. I drive a VW Passat and I never had this issue with my former Nissan. I was thinking it had to do with the VW system. I already have play voice over Bluetooth checked. However, based on your above suggestion, i just noticed that the play voice as bluetooth phone call was not checked. This now makes sense to me. i have never had issues getting phone calls via bluetooth, just navigation at times. when I'm navigating via bluetooth i have always had to change my car system to the bluetooth media mode. But now i think if I set to the play as bluetooth phone call, Google maps will treat navigation as a phone call and allow me to hear the voice prompts no matter what mode my care entertainment system is in. I will try tomorrow. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Zan76

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Open Google Maps, swipe in from the left, tap Settings>Navigation Settings, and make sure "Play voice over Bluetooth" is checked on.

The option of 'Play voice over Bluetooth' is checked already. But still unable to hear navigating prompts via car stereo.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

I have had this same issue. I drive a VW Passat and I never had this issue with my former Nissan. I was thinking it had to do with the VW system. I already have play voice over Bluetooth checked. However, based on your above suggestion, i just noticed that the play voice as bluetooth phone call was not checked. This now makes sense to me. i have never had issues getting phone calls via bluetooth, just navigation at times. when I'm navigating via bluetooth i have always had to change my car system to the bluetooth media mode. But now i think if I set to the play as bluetooth phone call, Google maps will treat navigation as a phone call and allow me to hear the voice prompts no matter what mode my care entertainment system is in. I will try tomorrow. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

I don't have a setting to play as a bt phone call. Is yours under navigation settings or somewhere else?

Zan76

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site

'Play as Bluetooth phone call' option is only available on iOS devices (Apple phone)and is not available for android phones.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Not on my S6, what carrier do you have? I'm on Verizon

I have Play voice during phone calls
and
Play voice over Bluetooth

My iPhone worked fine but my S6 doesn't work in the same car. I started another thread on this topic and the end result is, unless the car support A2DP, the Android won't play music, navigation.... over BT. Apparently Apple is doing something a bit non-standard to get it to work, at least from what was discussed elsewhere

Good luck
Rick

YouBlue_dev

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Do you play music from your phone in your car, or do you only use that Bluetooth connection for calls? When you paired with your car, it sounds like media and calls are both authorized. If this is the case, you won't hear the maps voice (media) unless your car stereo is set to "Bluetooth" mode (Usual modes are FM, AM, CD, Aux, Bluetooth).

Option 1:
If you don't use that connection for music, open your bluetooth settings, tap the gear icon next to the device (car), then toggle media audio off. Now all media audio (maps voice included) will play from your phone's speaker, even when connected to your car.

Option 2:
If you have Nougat installed, when you connect to your car, there should be a notification showing the connection which allows you to toggle media from Bluetooth to Phone

Option 3:
Switch your car stereo to Bluetooth mode when using maps.

zulfihaneef

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
The basic issue is that android google maps uses the voice call stream to route navigation instead of media. The workaround for me was to install BT Mono (free. or use another similar app) that will let you toggle BT output to a single stream. And now, navigation comes through car speakers when toggled on.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have tried several apps, on 2 different phones in 2 different cars, nothing works as I would like

I can have nav over the BT in the Car if the car is set to BT, then I don't get radio music. One work around would be to play music on my phone then nav will also work. Often times I listen to talk radio so this isn't an option for me

Sad b/c my 2008 Altima worked fine, my 2017 Subaru doesn't :(

Good luck
Rick

Keenana33

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
Sorry for reviving this old thread, but the lack ability to play audio as a bluetooth phone call on Android is such a huge issue.

To clear up the confusion: When using Google Maps on an iPhone, you have an AMAZING option to "Play as Bluetooth phone call". This means that no matter what you're listening to on your in-car system (FM Radio, Sirius, CD, 8-Track), Google maps will chime in with the navigation audio, and it will look like a temporary incoming phone call in your car.

For some unknown reason, this incredible option is NOT AVAILABLE ON ANDROID! It boggles my mind that you can get a better experience in this respect on iOS over Android, but it's the sad truth. The worst part is, hardly anyone seems to be talking about this and raging at Google!

This is such a massive issue for me that I am actually using an iphone right now (FML). I hate the iphone, but the in-car experience is amazing. By the way, the iphone also plays other audio, like Siri, as a Bluetooth Phone Call. I'm telling you, it's so awesome to be able to interact with your phone while driving and listening to Sat radio, and hear it over the car's speakers.

PLEASE Google bring this feature to Android!!

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

My Mazda cx5 works great. Some cars just do not work. My mother-in-law has a brand new Dodge Charger and she cannot get it to come through the Bluetooth.

Catherine Tejnecky

Aug 20, 2018
Visit site
Just went through this on my Pixel, trying to link to my 2015 Prius. Didn't have good success with the BT Mono app - I was able to get phone to play map notifications while bluetooth to car was enabled, but could barely hear them. I toggled on the settings available, but those didn't work.

I ended up getting good results from an app I downloaded called Audio Router. Awesome audio on Google Maps and my Android Phone. It cuts in map notifications over phone, but does not do it for CD or car Radio. So like someone else, the stereo work-around is to play music through phone on Bluetooth connection.

Laura99

Sep 7, 2018
Visit site
About a week ago I got the Note 5. Great phone, but I am having issues when using the maps on the phone (Google maps). I am unable to hear the voice prompts for the navigation through the car speakers when I am listening to a radio station, even though the phone is connected via bluetooth.
I can either get to listen to radio or the voice prompts, but not both. I used to have a S4 previously, and I never had this issue. When listening to radio the navigation voice prompt would lower the radio volume automatically and give directions and then would automatically go back to the normal volume of the radio once navigation voice prompts finished.

Can anyone shed any light on this. Am I the only one or are there others who are having similar issues.

I'm having the same issue with my SO plus. I haven't found out how to fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SDoug12271

Aug 22, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone figued this out. I want my Google maps coming through Bluetooth to override the cd/radio music. As of now I have to choose one or the other. There must be a way.

Praveen Shetty3

Sep 11, 2019
Visit site
Has anyone figued this out. I want my Google maps coming through Bluetooth to override the cd/radio music. As of now I have to choose one or the other. There must be a way.

This solved my problem. go to your phone Bluetooth settings when connected to car bluetooth and turn off media. You get voice directions over phone when listening to the radio