Guys, I expect to receive a Note 5 today. For the last year I have been using a Galaxy S5. One of the issues I have with the S5 is the phone's power consumption. I think if I had fewer applications running, power consumption would be reduced. So, for the Note 5:

- Is it possible to limit the applications that start up automatically?

- Is it possible for me to start those applications I wish to use, and close them when I'm finished, as I do on my computer?

- Is it possible for me to control the device, instead of me being controlled by the device?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill
    12-01-2015 09:02 AM
    Post 4.0, Android does a much better job in task management... to the point where you are doing more harm than good if you go in and kill inactive apps or clear the Recents list. Doing so actually uses more power than if you just let Android do its thing and manage memory in the background. In fact, the Note 5 actually goes overboard with the process, killing inactive tasks far too soon than they really need to....

I'm all for treating the disease and not the symptoms. Rather than fuss with task managers or memory managers, use good battery tools to figure out what apps/processes are the ones that are being a little too greedy with power usage.

Besides, it is often not the app that's the problem, it's the service that the app also installs and runs independently of the actual app.

A tool like GSAM, which gives you a little bit more information than than the stock tools... That way if something like Facebook is using up too much juice, you can deal with it in Facebook's settings rather than cleaning up after the fact.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    12-01-2015 09:09 AM
    12-01-2015 10:29 AM
    VERY good information. Thanks for sharing this!
    Crashdamage and HEMODroid like this.
    12-01-2015 01:16 PM