Note 5 screen write

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
First time note user so please excuse the dumb question. I seem to be having an issue with note 5 screen write feature. I used the s pen to take a screen shot and made some notes using my s pen. I then sent the image to a friend using the stock email app.
However they wore back saying they can't open it. He had an S6 btw. So i tried to email myself. Sure enough i couldn't open the attachment either. Even though i am opening the attachment on my note 5 device (i.e. the same device from whence i took the screen shot).
Am i doing something wrong??

Posted via the Android Central App

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
First time note user so please excuse the dumb question. I seem to be having an issue with note 5 screen write feature. I used the s pen to take a screen shot and made some notes using my s pen. I then sent the image to a friend using the stock email app.
However they wore back saying they can't open it. He had an S6 btw. So i tried to email myself. Sure enough i couldn't open the attachment either. Even though i am opening the attachment on my note 5 device (i.e. the same device from whence i took the screen shot).
Am i doing something wrong??

Hmmm... I tried what you did and it worked for me. I was able to open it. What does it say? That it can't open file?

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T

Attachments

• 1026.jpg
    1026.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 86

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi. It says theres no application to perform this action. Same with my friend.

With "inbox" or something else you can view the screen shot just fine. But only view. If you try to download it and open via file manager it won't recognize it (i believe)

The problem for me is also when i download and try to open via "my files" app. However if i download an image it's fine. So i suspect that its not recognizing that the screenshot is an image.

Attachments

• 923.jpg
    923.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 100

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi. It doesn't have one. I attached an image here. I think this is the problem. Is there a way to tell note 5 to "always save as .jpg or .png" or something

Attachments

• 962.jpg
    962.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 81

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine saved as .jpg. From the screen write, it chose share, gmail, and it opened.
Then I saved it to the gallery from screen write and it us a .jpg.

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok weird. I went into file manager and manually renamed the screenshots to add .jpg extension. Now the screenshots open fine. Super weird but seems to work now. Thank all. ☺

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Ah ok. I think i figured out the problem.

If i take a screenshot and immediately share it it knows to send as a .jpg.

However if i save to gallery first. Then go to my gallery (later), open the screenshots folder, and share from there, then it doesn't append with .jpg. this is why whoever downloads it can't open it unless they manually add .jpg or .png to the file name.

Seems kinda strange. Cause i may not want to share my screenshots immediately every time.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Just tested that too. Went into screen write, it took the screenshot, wrote on it and saved it to the gallery. Looked at it in file explorer, it's .jpg.

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't work for me. In the pic attached you can see 3 screenshots. The first one was taken by pressing the home and power key. This has the .png extension and works fine.

The 2nd and 3rd were taken by S pen screenwrite function. For me it doesn't put the .png or .jpg appendix. Maybe there's some default setting?

Attachments

• 971.jpg
    971.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 61

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Go to settings - applications - all, find screen write and see if you have any default set, if not clear cache and maybe data.

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi tried that. Unfortunately didn't work. But here's something funny...
When i go to my files app, there are 2 ways I can find the screenshots.
One way is to click on "Images" and the other way is the long way - "device storage", "DCIM", "screenshots".
If i go the short way "images", i don't get the .jpg extension. If i go the long way, i get the .jpg extension. Weird eh?
You can see below screenshots. Look for the file ending in 53-11. in one screenshot there's a .jpg extension and in the other there ain't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-03-07-55-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-03-07-55-52.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 41

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Whoops wrong one. Here's the right one. See how the 53-11 has .jpg extension in this one?

Strange how one folder path can have extension and the other doesn't. Even though its the same file.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-03-08-03-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-03-08-03-28.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 39

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I assume that's due to images looking for any valid image file and therefore the file extension doesn't matter, whereas looking for files looks for any file type and shows you the extensions.

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Well. All i know is when i email someone the screenshot and they try to download it, they can't open it because somehow the extension gets dropped. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well. All i know is when i email someone the screenshot and they try to download it, they can't open it because somehow the extension gets dropped. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I don't think your doing something wrong because I don't have to do much of anything. It just works. Screen write, share and send. That's it.

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi thanks. The thing is... if i screenshot and send immediately it works fine and the other recipient can open it just fine.

The problem is when i save to gallery (let's say i wanna save and send it later). In this case when i click share, the recipient is not able to open the file because it says theres no application to open this file (see one of the earlier screenshots above).

I suspect the reason for this is because when i go to gallery and click share, it drops the .jpg or .png extension (in which case the recipient's phone doesn't know what to do with it).

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi thanks. The thing is... if i screenshot and send immediately it works fine and the other recipient can open it just fine.

The problem is when i save to gallery (let's say i wanna save and send it later). In this case when i click share, the recipient is not able to open the file because it says theres no application to open this file (see one of the earlier screenshots above).

I suspect the reason for this is because when i go to gallery and click share, it drops the .jpg or .png extension (in which case the recipient's phone doesn't know what to do with it).

Rather than going to the Gallery and choosing the share option, try creating an email and choose "attach" from with the email app and see if you have the same problem.

Jesterdxb

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Tried that. It sorta works.

It doesn't work if i click attach, then go to images and select the screenshot from the images.

It does work however if i go to my files then find the screenshot from the screenshot folder in DCIM.

Guess I'll be doing the latter. 😆
Thanks for the suggestion.