Love for the Stock Messaging App

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I've always used the stock messaging app since I got my Note 5. Even with the hideous orange (unchangeable) color. I've always thought it was very good and seems to be fast. I've seen a lot of talk about Verizon Messages+ and decided to check it out - I activated it, customized it and used it for about an hour maybe. Then ran back to the stock messenger and realized all I appreciate about it. And because the stock messenger gets a bad rap at times I thought I'd share those things I think make it so good -

- I like the favorites icons you can have at the top for quick access to your most texted contacts.
- I like the popup feature so I can type a quick reply without having to open the whole app.
- I like to be able through gestures (I think) to be able to raise the phone to my ear and it will auto call whoever the messaging thread is on without having to hit a button (nice when driving)
- I love being able to schedule messages to go out - I've got birthdays scheduled months out and at night I find myself hammering out texts that need to be sent but it's too late so I type them and schedule them for tomorrow
- You can go into a conversation and hit "more" then album and see all the pics you and the other person have shared via text
- Love the ability to hit the paper clip, then record audio and send an audio message vs typing - great for driving (Messages has this too)
- Can attach an S Note the same way as an image to anyone

There may be more, but wanted to give mine and give some kudos to the stock messaging app.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I also use the stock one BUT I use a theme from the Theme Store which then changes the color of all the menus throughout the UI. Check it out

Posted from my Galaxy Note 5

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-02-09-46-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-02-09-46-31.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 378

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'll agree that the stock app isn't bad, but textra does everything stock does and more, and looks better doing it. Give it a shot.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll agree that the stock app isn't bad, but textra does everything stock does and more, and looks better doing it. Give it a shot.

Textra is great, but doesn't have the "album" feature which I love

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Does it schedule messages?

And can you hit the attachment and record an audio and send it? Or an S Note?

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Textra is great, but doesn't have the "album" feature which I love

If you press on the picture in the thread you can swipe left and right to view all photos sent and received from that contact

DCounts

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I went from textra to the stock messaging app. I loved textra but the stock one hasn't made me want to go back...yet.

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I used textra but kept having issues sending video. Tried stock and couldn't get past the orange, so I ended up with messenger by Google and I seem to like it. I like how you can change the color of the bubbles for individuals I find it useful esp in group texts.

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I used textra but kept having issues sending video. Tried stock and couldn't get past the orange, so I ended up with messenger by Google and I seem to like it. I like how you can change the color of the bubbles for individuals I find it useful esp in group texts.

That was my same thought. I like some of the factory message settings but i couldn't get over the app lag. Hopefully Google will add a scheduling feature to messenger. That will make it perfect!

Galaxy Note 5 and what not

Tony Vargas

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I like Textra, but stuck using the stock app because of refuse to give up my original Gear watch. Only works with stock app, dammit. But, the one think I hate about the stock app, is you can't add text when attaching an image. You can, but it's a pain.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've tried using it, but I can't stand the theme. Can't change it on my Note 4

Google Messenger is much cleaner and more functional IMO

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Even if you can send video via stock, it is degraded in quality. Use Whatsapp to send high quality video or pictures

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Verizon messages does everything the OP wants except for the S pen functions. I am torn between Verizon messages and textra, Verizon messages has the feature to send and receive text messages via computer or tablet, works good. But textra has a better pop up function.

Was using push bullet, but they want $40 year or $5 month, that's to much. I understand charging, but be reasonable.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Verizon messages does everything the OP wants except for the S pen functions. I am torn between Verizon messages and textra, Verizon messages has the feature to send and receive text messages via computer or tablet, works good. But textra has a better pop up function.

Was using push bullet, but they want $40 year or $5 month, that's to much. I understand charging, but be reasonable.

Vzw Messages doesn't have the favorites bar across the top for quick access to top contacts.

Can Verizon messages schedule messages to be sent in future?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Vzw Messages doesn't have the favorites bar across the top for quick access to top contacts.

Can Verizon messages schedule messages to be sent in future?

I know you can schedule messages to be sent at later time.

I thought it has the favorites, but apparently it does not. For being a Verizon App, I am impressed. LOL

Last edited:

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm content with the stock messaging app for once, I have no desire to change it. The Samsung keyboard on the other hand, no. Google Keyboard ftw.

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I love stock because enhanced messages with ppl with Samsung phones with stock app... In 2 years I see this as standard

Posted via Android Central App

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
In addition to all the features listed above (and which I use) the ability to use it in a window with my calendar in another window is a great boon. Why would someone purchase an $800 phone and not use the S pen and multi-window multitasking??

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using it, but I can't stand the theme. Can't change it on my Note 4

Google Messenger is much cleaner and more functional IMO

The Note 4 doesn't support Themes. Only the S6 models and the Note 5 in the premium line-up. And while I didn't really get excited about Themes the number and breath of subjects of the themes is impressive. I am getting more and more pleased I can use them.