I used to have a beloved Nexus 6 and Google Play Music worked perfectly, both via streaming and downloaded. Because Google screwed me out of Nexus 6P by not providing it to carriers, I bought a Galaxy Note5. It's actually a wonderful phone. Except for one huge problem. My music is all stored in Google Play Music and files longer than 5 or 6 minutes won't stream or play at all. Neither Samsung nor Google seem to have solutions. I was told to clear the app cache and then boot into the screen where you can wipe device cache and then do a factory reset but that didn't work. It is a big enough problem that if I don't find a solution, I'm going to have switch back to the Nexus 6. Anyone have any ideas? We know that other apps won't see the music downloads because Google. And when I use Astro to search for the downloaded files so I can move them to a different folder, Astro doesn't find them either.
    12-04-2015 10:36 AM
    Does it give you an error message when you try to play those tracks? Does it start playing, then stop at the 5 minute mark?

In order to have the tracks locally saved and to be able to manipulate them, you actually have to download the mp3 files directly to your computer via your Play Music library website, then copy those files to the phone's storage via USB.
    12-04-2015 11:00 AM
    If you are talking about music you purchased from the Play store...

If you have access to a PC, go to https://play.google.com/music/listen#/now and click on one of your albums. Look at the upper-right corner of the play window and click the three-dot menu icon, then select the Download album option. Repeat for all your purchased music.

Now use whatever tools you like to copy the downloaded music from your PC to your phone's Music folder and, if necessary, tell your favorite music player (I prefer PowerAmp) to Rescan all folders in order to locate the new tracks.
    12-04-2015 11:03 AM
    B, It doesn't even start playing the tracks. It starts to buffer but never starts to play and then the buffering stops and nothing happens.
    12-04-2015 11:13 AM
    N4Newbie, I know how to do that but it's time consuming. You'd think that this wouldn't be that difficult for Google or Samsung to solve.
    12-04-2015 11:14 AM
    The Play Music app is up to date? Current version should be 6.1.2116T.2441907
    12-04-2015 02:59 PM
    I had the exact same problem and went back to Sprint and they said nothing was wrong. I then did a full back up/restore and it fixed my problem. I would start a song. Then after 10 minutes it would play. Afull wipe fixed me.
    12-07-2015 01:07 PM
    That was one of the first things suggested to my. It worked for about a day or two and then reverted. Now, some tracks play after a 20 minute wait whole other tracks never play.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-07-2015 01:57 PM
    I am having the same issue with my ATT Note 5. Seems to be anything over 8-9 minutes for me.
    12-07-2015 08:05 PM
    Much more info here: https://productforums.google.com/for...ay/eIuLBIjyzqg

I do not have the issue on my S6 Active. On the phone with Google support now, they say the fix is being pushed out now with all carriers expected to have it out by mid January. Ugh, another reason to buy Nexus only lol.
    12-07-2015 08:24 PM
    I have the same problem. Nothing over 9 minutes will play. I've tried the usual steps. (clearing app data, uninstalling, wiping the cache, etc, etc)

The problem can be replicated on all three of my Verizon Galaxy Note 5 phones.

However, it does NOT occur on any of my other phones, such as the LG G4, Galaxy Note 2, Note 3, Note 4, Moto G, or even the $7 Verizon prepaid LG Optimus Exceed 2.

It's very frustrating.... to say the least.
    12-12-2015 09:38 AM
    only 6 people posted replies to this thread...

are we the only 6 people in the world with Note 5 and subscribe to
    Google Play Music and have this 10-minute music problem?

I now carry my other phone(LG G4) with me. When I want to play
    a piece of music that's more than 10 minutes long, I put down my
    Note 5 and fire up the G4 to play that piece. That's just nuts.
    12-13-2015 02:00 PM
    It appears that T-Mobile has fixed the problem. I just installed a security update and now Google Play Music streams just fine. I've been listening to Bruckner symphonies and the movements are all quite long and they play perfectly , as do complete acts from operas where the acts are about 50 minutes long.
    12-14-2015 02:23 PM
    It appears that T-Mobile has fixed the problem. I just installed a security update and now Google Play Music streams just fine. I've been listening to Bruckner symphonies and the movements are all quite long and they play perfectly , as do complete acts from operas where the acts are about 50 minutes long.

Unfortunately, I own 3 Galaxy Note 5 phones and all on Verizon. Guess it will be months before Verizon pushes out an update.

By the way, glad to see that I'm the only classical music geek around here. This problem affect us classical music listeners in a huge way, since there are tons of classical pieces over 9 minutes long. I don't think Katy Perry or Taylor Swift has the brains to write songs over 9 minutes long. (apologies to fans of either of those two)

I wish I can borrow Doc Brown's Delorean and go back in time. I'll be sure to tell Beethoven, Dvorak, Tchaikovsk and other classical composers to make sure they don't write movements more than 9 minutes long! Of course, if I tell them the reason, I'll probably be burned at the stake for being a male witch or something.
    sschimel and tonyr6 like this.
    12-14-2015 02:40 PM
    hello,
    can i jump on this thread to ask a question about playing music . i have a note 5 . love the device. the music player was working perfectly . then i downloaded a new album from itunes to the note 5 .. now all the music plays like at half speed . in the music app there is a setting to increase or decrease speed but it doesn't seem to work .. any ideas thank you
    02-07-2016 11:09 AM
    hello,
    can i jump on this thread to ask a question about playing music . i have a note 5 . love the device. the music player was working perfectly . then i downloaded a new album from itunes to the note 5 .. now all the music plays like at half speed . in the music app there is a setting to increase or decrease speed but it doesn't seem to work .. any ideas thank you
    I've always used JetAudio app to play ALL of my iTunes music(all in Apple Lossless Codec, ripped from the CDs I own). Never had a problem. Give that a try?
    02-07-2016 01:05 PM
    thank you very much
    02-07-2016 01:17 PM