OEM chargers stopped working

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my Note 5 for a few months now and up until now it's been an absolute pleasure to use. Last week the included fast charger suddenly stopped working. I hadn't installed any new apps that I can remember, and I don't think there were many app updates that day either. I plugged my phone into the Samsung fast charger that came with the phone like I've done every night, and it started beeping over and over as if the micro USB plug had a short in it. I unlock the phone and there is a message on the screen saying something like "If you want to power share you need to download the Samsung Power Sharing app.". I went to the Samsung app store and downloaded it thinking it would solve the problem. Nope, nothing changed. I tried another Samsung fast charger I had lying around and it did the same thing. Tried a different outlet, same thing. So far I've tried restarting, safe mode, reinstall/uninstalling the Samsung power sharing app, nothing is working. The only way I'm able to charge the phone is by using a generic third party USB charger. It's odd because any non-fast charger works fine, it's the two Samsung brand fast chargers that are having this problem and there's no way both of them shorted out on the same day. I really like the fast charging feature and I would like to have it back, this phone ain't cheap. Judging by the number of terrible reviews for the Samsung power sharing app, other people are experiencing this issue but I've been unable to find a fix online. Any help would be appreciated. This is the T-Mobile Note 5 running 5.1.1

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Make sure that your charger is plugged directly into the wall outlet, no small gauge extension cords. Try unplugging and re-plugging the power cord, make certain the micro USB is fully seated and that your case (if any) is not in the way. Lastly, try rebooting the phone, kill all the running apps and then plug the power cord into the phone. Eventually you should find some combination of the above that works.

I heard from TMobile that there will be a bug fix for this. Strange as it sounds, I exchanged my phone for a completely different reason and the copy I have now fast charges all the time. The previous copy was intermittent but by trying some of the "fixes" I listed above I was able to get the fast charge to work even on the previous copy. Good luck. :)

gmurphy0487

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had this EXACT same issue this week. Beeping, power share screen. Everything. Had to get it warrantied. Mine is an AT&T Note 5. Not sure what cause it, but I wasn't going to deal with it.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I had this EXACT same issue this week. Beeping, power share screen. Everything. Had to get it warrantied. Mine is an AT&T Note 5. Not sure what cause it, but I wasn't going to deal with it.

Damn...I really hope I don't have to do that. I'm guess you tried a factory reset? I may wait for the 6.0 update that is supposedly coming out this month and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I guess I will have to exchange it.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Then try a warranty exchange, there is something definitely wrong with either the charger or the device. It should definitely fast charge.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like hardware to me, like a bad male or female (or both) USB connector. I had 3 phone exchanges total trying to fix my Bluetooth issue. I got to play with different phones and chargers from Tmobile. 2 of the 3 phones had this intermittent fast charging issue. The phone I have now is reliable. However, one of the chargers is NOT reliable. So I have one charger that fast charges 100% of the time and one charger that fast charges 30% of the time both with the same, current phone. Coincidentally, this phone has no Bluetooth problem.

mari dub

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my Note 5 for a few months now and up until now it's been an absolute pleasure to use. Last week the included fast charger suddenly stopped working. I hadn't installed any new apps that I can remember, and I don't think there were many app updates that day either. I plugged my phone into the Samsung fast charger that came with the phone like I've done every night, and it started beeping over and over as if the micro USB plug had a short in it. I unlock the phone and there is a message on the screen saying something like "If you want to power share you need to download the Samsung Power Sharing app.". I went to the Samsung app store and downloaded it thinking it would solve the problem. Nope, nothing changed. I tried another Samsung fast charger I had lying around and it did the same thing. Tried a different outlet, same thing. So far I've tried restarting, safe mode, reinstall/uninstalling the Samsung power sharing app, nothing is working. The only way I'm able to charge the phone is by using a generic third party USB charger. It's odd because any non-fast charger works fine, it's the two Samsung brand fast chargers that are having this problem and there's no way both of them shorted out on the same day. I really like the fast charging feature and I would like to have it back, this phone ain't cheap. Judging by the number of terrible reviews for the Samsung power sharing app, other people are experiencing this issue but I've been unable to find a fix online. Any help would be appreciated. This is the T-Mobile Note 5 running 5.1.1

I would recommend using the thicker charging cord to achieve fast charging consistently. I had the same issue (VZW model) the cords that comes with the phone is a, for a lack of better terms..., TRASH!!!

Galaxy Note 5 and what not

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like hardware to me, like a bad male or female (or both) USB connector. I had 3 phone exchanges total trying to fix my Bluetooth issue. I got to play with different phones and chargers from Tmobile. 2 of the 3 phones had this intermittent fast charging issue. The phone I have now is reliable. However, one of the chargers is NOT reliable. So I have one charger that fast charges 100% of the time and one charger that fast charges 30% of the time both with the same, current phone. Coincidentally, this phone has no Bluetooth problem.

The 2 Samsung fast chargers stopped working at the same time, and every other generic USB charger I've used has worked so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It started Thursday. Can't think of any new app I downloaded.

So weird, mine started doing it at the same time. That's why I think it's some weird software issue, otherwise what are the chances? That said it is also odd that your replacement works fine. Guess I'll wait for the Marshmallow update and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Posted via the Android Central App

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Thicker cord,, like the note 4 cord. That's all I did, fixed issue instantly. The stock 5 cord is junk, just look at the difference between the 5 and the 4 cord and you will see.. I think it gets fried fast charging.

robonik

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thicker cord,, like the note 4 cord. That's all I did, fixed issue instantly. The stock 5 cord is junk, just look at the difference between the 5 and the 4 cord and you will see.. I think it gets fried fast charging.

Where, pray tell, did you get a thicker cord?

Dhanikz

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Got the same problem this morning. When I went to sleep battery was at 92. When I woke up around 40. And when I tried to charge got the charging beep a few times didn't fast charge and started misbehaving. Opening gear vr, power sharing, dock connection.

Im currently working at an activated carbon plant. It could be some conducting particles stuck inside the port. Because when I blow into the port the phone starts acting up.

So I changed cable and adapter to see if I could charge this somehow. My one m8 cable works fine. Doesn't fast charge but it charges. Any permanent solution?

tubbz the bull

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Ok i had this same issue too with apps randomly opening. What i did was bacc up everything updated my prl and profile. And lastly cleaned my screen really good and volume down power off. And no problem since

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Please refer to the thread already established on this: Link removed

Thread closed.

Edit: Thread re-opened upon request.

Last edited: