01-11-2016 03:04 PM
27 12
tools
    I come from blackberry and the note 5 is my first Android device. I've been using it for a few months now. I've noticed that the lag is increasing. At first it was just in the messaging app when typing. Now it's in every app when typing. Also I have started getting screen delays also where I'm trying to scroll but the phone does nothing for a few seconds. Any advice on what to do to fix this?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-12-2015 10:47 PM
    Is anything using excessive battery that might be taking up background processes?

12-12-2015 11:41 PM
    How often do you clear your cached processes? You should probably go ahead and do a factory reset, start clearing your cache daily, and try out the app optimization feature.
    12-12-2015 11:48 PM
    How do you clear your cache out?

12-13-2015 12:28 AM
    I'll have to check it out. I do have a few background apps I know for sure.

12-13-2015 02:05 AM
    It is could be one or two apps causing the problem. I had some bad lag, found the app, removed it and back to normal.

If you do do a factory data reset, don't install any apps at first to see if you still have the problem. Then slowly start re installing apps
    12-13-2015 09:22 AM
    I come from blackberry and the note 5 is my first Android device. I've been using it for a few months now. I've noticed that the lag is increasing. At first it was just in the messaging app when typing. Now it's in every app when typing. Also I have started getting screen delays also where I'm trying to scroll but the phone does nothing for a few seconds. Any advice on what to do to fix this?

Turn off keyboard vibration in settings, should do the trick

Download Nova launcher and replace touchwiz. That will fix the scroll lag, it happened to me too using calender, calculator, and email widgets.. IT WILL GO AWAY IF YOU SWITCH LAUNCHERS

Attached Thumbnails extremely bad lag-2262.jpg  
    Geezer Squid likes this.
    12-13-2015 01:23 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have had the vibrate feature off since I got the phone. I didn't like that and quickly changed it. I will try the Nova launcher next. I did Uninstall a few apps and the typing has cleared up a good bit. I think the culprit was the led app. But as I type this my typing has only lagged out once. Which is 10x better. Should I try another keyboard?

12-13-2015 09:36 PM
    You shouldn't have to clear your cache everyday to not have lag. You have something wrong

Laserbutt, Issemann and Dhawk1202 like this.
    12-13-2015 10:48 PM
    I had similar lag but recieved software update 3 weeks ago for 86 mb and it fixed the issue. International version of note 5
    12-14-2015 04:42 AM

Download Nova launcher and replace touchwiz. That will fix the scroll lag, it happened to me too using calender, calculator, and email widgets.. IT WILL GO AWAY IF YOU SWITCH LAUNCHERS

I use touchwiz and don't have any lag whatsoever. TW is not what It used to be. Very quick now. I would bet the problem lies elsewhere.
    12-14-2015 06:22 AM
    I must be very lucky, I never experience the problems that a lot of people have. Have had the Note 5 for almost 3 months and haven't experienced any lag yet.
    hub1 likes this.
    12-14-2015 06:48 AM
    I must be very lucky, I never experience the problems that a lot of people have. Have had the Note 5 for almost 3 months and haven't experienced any lag yet.
    Same here. Love this phone!
    12-14-2015 11:16 AM
    Same here. Love this phone!
    No lag at all for me.

Posted via Note 5 64GB AT&T
    12-14-2015 12:49 PM
    I am on day 2 with my new Note 5 from AT&T and I'm already regretting this purchase. I have disabled almost all bloat and the lag is killing me. Any suggestions? 😣
    12-20-2015 01:28 PM
    I am on day 2 with my new Note 5 from AT&T and I'm already regretting this purchase. I have disabled almost all bloat and the lag is killing me. Any suggestions? 😣
    I'm not experiencing any lag on mine. Care to upload a video?
    12-20-2015 02:17 PM
    I get massive lag on my Note5 as well, it's most noticeable when typing on the Google keyboard.
    01-10-2016 02:35 AM
    Re-enable the apps. My wife and I both have Note 5's and have no apps disabled. We were both commenting just yesterday how smooth this phone is even in stock form. This is the first phone we've had since 2009 that doesn't need to be rooted.

Good luck with yours.
    01-10-2016 09:07 AM
    Re-enable the apps. My wife and I both have Note 5's and have no apps disabled. We were both commenting just yesterday how smooth this phone is even in stock form. This is the first phone we've had since 2009 that doesn't need to be rooted.

Good luck with yours.
    01-10-2016 09:08 AM
    GSam battery monitor caused all kinds of lag for me. Apps like that are bad about causing lag. Look at your apps and see which one may be running all the time hogging the cpu. Trust us there is one causing your lag.
    01-10-2016 12:56 PM

I use TouchWiz and I have Zero lag. TouchWiz is not what it used to be.

Ryano89 likes this.
    01-10-2016 02:32 PM
    I have had my phone since launch and have zero lag with the exception of two separate events. You shouldn't have to clear the cache partition daily. However, if you have never done this you will notice a difference immediately. I would say at the earliest weekly or every few weeks. What I have found that has only ever cause lag on my Note 5 is after the downloading of multiple themes from the theme store. If you have downloaded or been using lots of themes and have them stored on your phone, delete the ones you are not using unless they are paid for. I noticed it right away on two occasions after doing a trial with a paid themes. After I cleared out all unused themes and restarted my phone it has always been lightning fast.

01-10-2016 11:06 PM
    I also haven't experienced the symptoms initially noted.

One case I can see lag occurring is when an app has to pull data from the internet (cloud service, storage, etc.) and if there is a poor/low bandwidth network connection then it could take noticeable amounts of time for the app to get the data it needs in order to complete whatever action the user initiated. To the eye, the delay could look like phone lag.

Like others have indicated above, this is a fluid and fast phone. I'll also share that I've used GSAM for some time on several Notes (3, 4 and now 5) and haven't been able to correlate lag with that particular app. Not saying it couldn't happen, just not something I've experienced.
    01-11-2016 06:57 AM
    Don't know if this is relevant here since I don't have my Note 5 yet, but I saw some reviewer on you tube setting the screen animation effect to a number lower than the default, I think it was like 5 if I remember correctly, the setting was in the developer mode menu which he had to unable it first, the phone was significantly faster as he toggled that setting.
    01-11-2016 07:39 AM
    I leave the cache alone and use Android Assistant to clean out empty directories and other clutter via its system clear proc. Also go in manually with FX now and again to clear old file and directory remnants from apps I have deleted. Don't know if it makes a difference but I figure than Android can act like a PC and pick up all sorts of riff raff over time that slows things down....speaking of which I probably need to do a system reset on my PC (which I hardly use these days) because it is crawling now.
    01-11-2016 09:00 AM
27 12