S-Pen Backward Insertion (This is a Rant, please delete if necessary)

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I have read, on this and other boards, literally dozens of "Let's crap on Samsung because I put my pen in backwards" threads, where people are blaming Samsung for them being inattentive. It took me several weeks before I figured out what they were doing, because, honestly, it would take a real effort and lapse of any normal mental function to place the pen in backwards. Firstly, in order to put it in backwards, you had to have taken it out from the correction orientation. Did you not pay any attention at all to how it came out? Secondly, during your normal day to day usage, how many times did you see the point of the pen protruding from the bottom of the phone? Thirdly, when putting the pen in correctly, it slides right in very smoothly like it is supposed, but in order to put it in backwards it must be wiggled and coerced into going in.

Out of curiosity, I was at an event the other evening and I conducted a very unscientific impromptu experiment. Some of the guys were wanting to see how the s-pen worked, so I had it out and say an opportunity. I asked the three guys that I was chatting with which way they thought it should be inserted. They realized it was a trick question, but all said they would insert it writing tip first. So while in this experimental mode, I noticed one of my friend's 4 year old being their normal hyper self. I called her over, handed her the pen and the phone (I was being very trusting) and asked her to put the pen back in the phone. She turned the phone over in her hand a time or two, tuned in on the bottom of the phone, poked the earphone jack with the pen for a second and then immediately slid it into the the holding slot correctly. I asked her how she knew it went in that way and she responded, "Really?" After that she spent about 3 minutes drawing on S-Note, until she became bored with it and put the pen back in the phone and laid it down and ran off.

All this being said, what should Samsung realistically have done to prevent people from inserting the pen in the wrong direction? Would you have really even looked for an arrow inscribed on the pen? Maybe they should include 4 year olds in their product testing program, no wait, they seem to be able to figure it out.

Overall, you purchased an $800 (msrp+/-) device, wouldn't you want to pay attention to what you were doing when you used it?

I end the rant. For those of you that have inserted you pen incorrectly, there are several videos on YouTube to get your problem corrected. However, be careful which one you watch because some of them are quite demeaning about putting the pen in backwards.

Merry Christmas to all,
BigRedGonzo

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Totally agree with you, it's like someone accidentally pumping diesel gas instead of regular, yes both nozzles fit into your gas tank but you need to use a tad bit of common sense. Now one thing i have noticed ALOT, and never with my old Note 4 is that the pen seems to be popped out alot, im not sure how the heck im hitting (obviously i am) because its recessed pretty deep in the phone, my wife has lost 2 so far and ive come close to losing it a couple times also but that would be my only slight gripe.

psurob55

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Someone told me that this was a thing. I was like, how would you even put it in backwards? Sounds like something an iSheep would do. :)

Pardon my windows logo, just ditched windows phone for a Note 5 because of the app gap and Verizon availability. Still love my windows and MS apps, but I'm back to android for the first time in 3 years since upgrading from a Lumia 920. So far, loving this phone. :)

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
The problem I have with the theory that a person must be stupid is the exclusion of things like, receiving really bad news and therefore you're brain isn't working at it's normal levels, working excessively long hours (sleep deprivation), which experts say is the same as being drunk.

Accidents can happen for any number of reasons and it doesn't always have to be a lack of common sense or stupidity.
I was called last night around midnight from work. I couldn't go back to sleep until around 4, got up at 7. I am very sleepy and have not been myself at work today at all. I'm typing commands incorrectly, forgetting system terminology, etc.

I don't think that makes me stupid or lacking common sense.

hub1

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with you, it's like someone accidentally pumping diesel gas instead of regular, yes both nozzles fit into your gas tank but you need to use a tad bit of common sense. Now one thing i have noticed ALOT, and never with my old Note 4 is that the pen seems to be popped out alot, im not sure how the heck im hitting (obviously i am) because its recessed pretty deep in the phone, my wife has lost 2 so far and ive come close to losing it a couple times also but that would be my only slight gripe.

If you open settings - S Pen and turn on S Pen alerts, the phone will alert you if you walk away with your phone without attaching the S Pen, but it only works if your screen is off.

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm with Verizon and I bought one of the Verizon Branded TPU clear cases. I do really like the naked look of the phone, but it costs too much for me to risk it. Anyway, the case adds very little bulk to the phone and it also makes getting at the button on the end of the pen a little harder. I have had the phone for about 3 months and have only found it popped out 1 time.

BigRedGonzo

Last edited:

bigredgonzo

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The problem I have with the theory that a person must be stupid is the exclusion of things like, receiving really bad news and therefore you're brain isn't working at it's normal levels, working excessively long hours (sleep deprivation), which experts say is the same as being drunk.

Accidents can happen for any number of reasons and it doesn't always have to be a lack of common sense or stupidity.
I was called last night around midnight from work. I couldn't go back to sleep until around 4, got up at 7. I am very sleepy and have not been myself at work today at all. I'm typing commands incorrectly, forgetting system terminology, etc.

I don't think that makes me stupid or lacking common sense.

First off, I never, not one time, ever, referred to anyone as stupid. My entire rant was that nearly every one of the posts about putting the s-pen in backwards blames Samsung for it and most point at a lack of instructions. I did point out that, in my opinion, inattentiveness was the problem. Anyway, I do understand that accidents do happen, but under normal circumstances, if you rear end someone at a stoplight don't immediately blame the car manufacturer for the collision.

So what method did you use to remove your pen after it got stuck?

BigRedGonzo

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
First off, I never, not one time, ever, referred to anyone as stupid. My entire rant was that nearly every one of the posts about putting the s-pen in backwards blames Samsung for it and most point at a lack of instructions. I did point out that, in my opinion, inattentiveness was the problem. Anyway, I do understand that accidents do happen, but under normal circumstances, if you rear end someone at a stoplight don't immediately blame the car manufacturer for the collision.

So what method did you use to remove your pen after it got stuck?

BigRedGonzo

The phrase "first off" in response, implies defensive posturing. There is no need to be defensive just because someone is making a different point of view, this is not middle school, and I didn't get my s-pen stuck nor have I ever inserted it incorrectly.

You mentioned: a lack of normal mental brain function, that 4 year olds can figure it out, and spending $800 on a device, why didn't you pay attention.
Whether you said it or not, that all implies stupidity.

You are far from the first person to express such a rant, so when I said my problem with the theory, I wasn't only referring to your rant or your theory.
Notice I mentioned my being tired and not being myself doesn't mean a lack of common sense. You didn't mention common sense, so again, my response wasn't directed at just you, but the theory in general that such a mistake is foolish.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I suppose it's easy to wonder how anyone could put the pen in backwards until you actually do it. I hope it never happens to me.